Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Still a senior member after 5 years absence lol

Hey all. Been going to varadaro for 4 years but DR is first love so planning for pop next month. Can’t wait for brugal lol

LOL

Come back Senior Member help us grow this forum again :slight_smile:

I would like to say a quick thank you to Admin and members. In the last few weeks I have noticed new interest in this forum.

I hope that it continues and gets better. Please keep up the posts and interest in growing this forum.

Thanks Steve

I find this forum so informative don’t know why old people are missing here.This forum looks very interactive and all the current member respond well.Hope it will live again. :slight_smile:

Few reasons why forums are a " dying breed" … like anything times change and with that things change

the biggest reason is social media, one can join a resorts Google+ / facebook / twitter page and get direct info for where they are going and not have to filter out stuff they are not interested in,

another is the DR is not the hidden gem it was 15+ years ago when some of us started going, so smaller sites like Debbies dont get searched as hard people just goto the big boys IE: trip advisor as its more diversified , and they can cross search info of different destinations all on the same page,

with that TA has been heavily affected by social media

Social media is taking good part but there is many members that do not like social media such as [a href=“http://debbiesreviews.proboards.com/thread/20788/connect-people-cuba-social-media”]FaceBook[/a] or other [a href=“http://debbiesreviews.proboards.com/thread/20934/cuba-facebook-utube-site”]Social Media[/a]. We had on other forum thread how many people have accounts and use to connect and search about vacations such as Cuba or Dominican Republic and many said that they do not use it. I personally did some tests and I find out that people still like to use forums as source to gain knowledge about certain topic while they use social media to stay in touch with a friends.

You can always check out our [a href=“http://debbiesreviews.proboards.com/board/22/general-cuba-board”]Debbie’s Cuba Forum[/a] and see if you can get more tips about traveling to Varadero. I personaly have been around 16 times in Varadero. You might becoem Senior member there as well :slight_smile:
Dominican Republic is great place to be and I can’t wait to go and visit it again.

interesting , in the last 2 years ive been to mexico and DR…

so to start off I did not interview everyone at the resorts :slight_smile:

but the people I got chatting with the majority of them used social media for there specific resort… and the resorts are certainly using this avenue to stay in touch with there future and current guests directly, they do give aways and prizes on there pages … the resorts have media personel monitoring these pages and answer questions directly and promptly

is that always the best, no … as of course this media person is going to hype their resort, where as sites like debbies you get a better first hand experience which is probably more honest ( you will have always have fanboys that hype also)

so to get the true feel of who is using social media you are not going to get that from a poll on a forum… as the people you are asking are the ones that havnt moved on yet… and probably never will, and I for one hope it never does, and KUDOs to ADMIN for keeping this going

will forums die right off… NO… will they ever come back to there hayday of around the mid 2000s … NO

interesting , in the last 2 years ive been to mexico and DR…

so to start off I did not interview everyone at the resorts :slight_smile:

but the people I got chatting with the majority of them used social media for there specific resort… and the resorts are certainly using this avenue to stay in touch with there future and current guests directly, they do give aways and prizes on there pages … the resorts have media personel monitoring these pages and answer questions directly and promptly

is that always the best, no … as of course this media person is going to hype their resort, where as sites like debbies you get a better first hand experience which is probably more honest ( you will have always have fanboys that hype also)

so to get the true feel of who is using social media you are not going to get that from a poll on a forum… as the people you are asking are the ones that havnt moved on yet… and probably never will, and I for one hope it never does, and KUDOs to ADMIN for keeping this going

will forums die right off… NO… will they ever come back to there hayday of around the mid 2000s … NO[/quote]

I agree with you to stay in touch with resorts and ask resort direct question social media plays big role. But to talk with other travelers and find real unbiased information forums are still ahead of Social media. Google knows that and that is one of the reasons why in search engines you can see forums come before any other social media. Google still doesn’t give Facebook pages good placements in SERPS because they know that those pages are created by businesses. I personally have facebook page that has 17000 members and https://www.facebook.com/pages/Forum-Cuba/237953329704963 and biggest problem with those facebook pages is that facebook controls at the end everything. More you pay more your content will be seen and facebook gets more rich. I have many friends that use facebook since 2007 and they were heavy users but in the past year or so addiction is fading away. Like there was myspace and after that took facebook next thing will be G+ but after that will be something else as well. Anyway we are here to see future :slight_smile: and share ideas and opinions on this forum. Thanks for sharing your ideas @northernale1.

Yes it true that social media got that place where people can get in touch whenever they want but my thinking is that the people who use facebook or other social media site only connected to share there personal event,issue,feeling etc.

I didn’t find a single user who use social media site for gating knowledge or searching for a specific information.They only use it to be connected with each other and share there personal interest not for learning anything.
On the other hand forum is the place where we can get information on a specific topic in detail way.I think forum is the only place where we can find the actual information and real life experience but in social media they do business with the information.I find many facebook pages that are full of fake likes and comment, they only do it for commercially benefits not for share information.

James

I find the facebook info on Samana pretty superficial. I can do ok on tripadvisor but this used to be THE BEST place (when we traveled to Punta Cana in 2008) and I am glad to see more activity here than there was when I first booked in January/February.
It is great to be able to ask in depth questions and get answers from real experts.
This forum reminds (ed) me of the locogringo forum for Akumal, which is also very good.
Thanks to all you experts!

Please if you are not member of Cuba forum join us http://debbiesreviews.proboards.com/board/22/general-cuba-board as we love to discuss Cuba on that forum as well Dominican Republic on this one :slight_smile:

[quote=@jacalope]I find the facebook info on Samana pretty superficial. I can do ok on tripadvisor but this used to be THE BEST place (when we traveled to Punta Cana in 2008) and I am glad to see more activity here than there was when I first booked in January/February.
It is great to be able to ask in depth questions and get answers from real experts.
This forum reminds (ed) me of the locogringo forum for Akumal, which is also very good.
[/quote]

Thank you for being member. Yes you are right facebook info for the hotels is made by hotels and I am sure that they will post all the best about their hotel. So that is the reason we are here to share our experiences and to see what experiences others had at those hotels.

[quote=@admin][quote=@jacalope]I find the facebook info on Samana pretty superficial. I can do ok on tripadvisor but this used to be THE BEST place (when we traveled to Punta Cana in 2008) and I am glad to see more activity here than there was when I first booked in January/February.
[/quote]Thank you for being member. Yes you are right facebook info for the hotels is made by hotels and I am sure that they will post all the best about their hotel. So that is the reason we are here to share our experiences and to see what experiences others had at those hotels.
[/quote]

My comments were based on why did forum numbers drop, social media is why. whether some like it or not, it is what it is, other then a few of us die hards ( and some people using alias to post under different names) the glory days of forums have passed

The social media page may have been started by the hotel. but once they open it up and put it out there, people are free to chat and discuss about as they feel,

so first off not just the best is posted, people post there issues, and the hotel does reply back and tries to deal with it, that does not happen very often on a forum

Once you decide on a hotel, the social media experience is far superior to a forum, due to the fact that things change at these hotels at a rapid pace, such as event scheduling, menus restaurants , up coming events , contests …

you will constantly get live from other guests, current pictures, videos

anyone who neglects to use these tools as well as forums all as a package is missing out on a alot…

Could be true but with one click someone can delete easy that social media comment. As I mentioned I have pretty big group on FB around 17300 of followers and they love content and participate daily. One of the biggest players Google is not ranking social media in their searches so they must be missing a lot as well. Debbie’s FB page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Debbies-Caribbean-Resort-Reviews/143616623808 is getting more active as well as tweeter https://twitter.com/DebbiesCRR so I invite all of you to join us and post your own photos!

Thanks for great discussion and contribution northernale1 I love to hear others positive and negative comments as I am here to make this place better.

cheers
Zee

I don’t use FB or “social media” when doing most of my reserach on my next trip. Usually the bigggest factor is what is the best deal, then I do a little looking around at pics/reviews/travel sites(sunwing, transat etc).

As for reviews, they can be taken with a grain of salt. However, I have read and posted enough that I can pretty easily spot a review that is totally biased one way or the other.

That being said, both the Dominican and Cuba side of this board still has some good info, and memebers with lots of experince and advice. Plus it’s nice just to share experiences and stories as well.

But like anything, it won’t be the same as the “good old days” on here…