Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Sunglasses

This is a silly question, but after many years of pleading, well whining, maybe begging…lol My DH (darling hubbie) got me Ray Ban Sunglasses for Christmas. Here’s the problem. I love them and I want to snorkel while in Holguin, and I want to keep these glasses. Should I just stuff them in my bag and hope they don’t get taken, put them in a case and take them in the water, (salt water and metal hinges?) Leave them home? It seems trivial, but I’ll ask anyway…any ideas? :-/ :-* Cheers…Raine

I have earrings my husband bought me before we were married,when we were still in high school in the 70s. I love them, and wear them frequently at home. When I travel to any impoverished area or to a place where I might be concerned about their appeal to others, they stay safely at home, and I wear my drug store cheapies. Were I a label fan, I imagine I’d do the same with the sunglasses. Better safe than sorry. Enjoy the snorkeling, especially after this long winter, which is ALMOST over! :sunglasses:

If I have anything of value like my room key/card, glasses etc. I ask someone next to me to keep an eye out for me. Others have asked me to do the same. Personally, I’d be more worried about the tourists than the Cubans!

That’s true drg, She actually didn’t say who she was worried about, maybe it was the other tourists.

I don’t normally take anything with me that I would be upset if it went missing. My camera is an underwater one so it stays with me. : )

Leave them home!!! Id be worried about breaking them, having them stolen ect…
Buy a cheap pair at Ardene’s 2 for $10!!! Id much rather take those personally!

Leave the sunglasses at home!

A few years ago, my sunglasses mysteriously walked away from my lounger while I was snorkeling. They were prescription and obviously of no use to the person who borrowed them. Several hours later, the sunglasses showed up at the front desk as having been lost.

Our rule is to never take anything on vacation we don’t want to lose.

One thing we can’t do without is our camera equipment. We have all of our camera equipment insured on a special all risk rider as part of our home insurance.

[quote=@capebretongirl] Ray Ban Sunglasses…I love them and I want to snorkel while in Holguin, and I want to keep these glasses. Should I just stuff them in my bag and hope they don’t get taken, put them in a case and take them in the water, (salt water and metal hinges?) Leave them home? It seems trivial, but I’ll ask anyway…any ideas? :-/ :-* Cheers…Raine[/quote]If you really love wearing them…i.e. you enjoy them and would notice if you were wearing something else…then the compromise solution would be to take them and wear them when you have no intention of taking them off. Bring a cheap pair to wear to the beach when you are going snorkelling, and leave the Ray Bans in the safe. After all, why have something you love and never use it? (that’s why I go hacking with my expensive dressage saddle…yes, I could damage it, but I love the comfort…why have it and not use it??) :smiley:

That was my first thought too.

My $0.02 worth, no shades are better and less likely to cause damage than El Cheapos. Cheap glasses “trick” your eyes into believing there is less light than there actually is, and therefore the pupils allow in more damaging rays than if you were wearing none at all.

Personally, I take my Oakleys and a pair of prescription auto-tint reading glasses with me everywhere I go.

A similar question…only b/c I’ve never travelled since we’ve been married…do I wear my wedding ring?

That was my first thought too.

My $0.02 worth, no shades are better and less likely to cause damage than El Cheapos. Cheap glasses "trick" your eyes into believing there is less light than there actually is, and therefore the pupils allow in more damaging rays than if you were wearing none at all.

Personally, I take my Oakleys and a pair of prescription auto-tint reading glasses with me everywhere I go. [/quote]

really?? They have the uv, ect. stickers on them… I will have to look into that because I assumed with the stickers that they are ok…

[quote=@lsalvis]A similar question…only b/c I’ve never travelled since we’ve been married…do I wear my wedding ring?[/quote]Sure, if you’re like me and never take it off. :wink:

Ok, I figured I would, just thought I’d ask!

I don’t usually take my engagement ring (diamond), but when I have it stays in the safe when I’m at the beach. Wedding band is plain gold and I can’t remember the last time I removed it. :smiley:

I’m not into those cheapo sunglasses either and I don’t trust any of the stickers on them to be accurate and truthful.

I wear prescription glasses however, so I’ve bought a couple of pairs of Solar Shields sunglasses to wear while vacationing. These sunglasses fit over my regular glasses and are polarized as well which is great when you spend a lot of time around the beach and ocean. Bonus is that they aren’t exactly fashionable looking so I don’t have to worry about them being stolen :wink:

My ophthalmologist has warned against “cheapo” glasses. She said that there is little (if any) quality control around the thickness of the lens, which can cause huge strain on your eyes. :frowning: For good quality, non-prescription sunglasses check out your local eyeglass store or an optometry store.

I wear prescription sunglasses, and always bring an extra pair with me. :sunglasses:

If you take them and are worried all the time - then leave them at home. If you can use them when you do not have to leave them haning around - is a good option.

As to my wedding band. I never wear my wedding band when travelling. I go buy a $10.oo silver or gold band for the trip and use that. I do not like wearing expensive jewllery when others have trouble putting food on the table - something I thought was a bit off - one time in Jamaica and a few American tourists were wearing more on one hand that the wait staff would make in their lifetime - is when it hit me for the 1st time - "maybe it is not polite to shine things that other’s can not enjoy’.

It’s not the locals I worry about, but the tourons that would help themselves to them. I was rooting around in a travel shop today and found a waterproof bag they would fit in, and it has a string for around my neck or wrist, while in the water. My camera is waterproof as well so it will be in the water with me, now I"ll take my room key and such in the water too, and not have to worry.
I also don’t take my special (not expensive) jewellry with me, I wear cheap stuff and leave it there when I"m leavin. Thanks for your advice guys! I knew you wouldn’t let me down! Cheers…Raine

[quote=@capebretongirl]…it has a string for around my neck or wrist, while in the water. [/quote]Please don’t put the “string” around your neck…I’ve seen people do this and it always makes me uneasy. Unless it is really easy to break (which would sort of defeat the whole purpose) I wouldn’t want to risk getting such a thing hooked on some underwater projection. Unlikely, yes. But stranger things have killed people…

I guess I’m the only person who watches the Shopping Channel, because they often say about Diamonelle, “wear this when you travel” instead of your 16K diamond. I actually wear Claire’s type jewelry, that I buy from the 10 for $10 display, and when someone admires it, it’s theirs! I agree it seems insensitive to be dripping in diamonds and gold when Cubans are on rations. Cubic zirconia is a nice compromise. With regard to the sunglasses (and mine are rx), you can get one of those rubber headbands to attach and wear them in the water. I often ask Omar, the beach bartender, to put my beachbag behind the bar. He is obliging, and has a drink ready for me when I return. Win win! (Don’t forget to tip!) :slight_smile:

[quote=@eloisegirl] I agree it seems insensitive to be dripping in diamonds and gold when Cubans are on rations. Cubic zirconia is a nice compromise. [/quote] If you’re wearing fake that isn’t obviously fake, then it still seems ostentatious. (check out Moissanite…even a jeweler can’t tell it from diamond without a loop) OTOH, I’ve encountered quite a few Cubans sporting more “bling” than I own, or would ever consider wearing…