Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Sunquest's offer to those booked to el portillo

Hi folks - My TA just confirmed that Sunquest has acknowledged that the transfer time from the airport to El Portillo was misrepresented in their brochure. It is actually 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours by bus. They are offering a full refund or a date change or credit for a move to another resort at current prices with no penalty.

Personally I don’t think it is that big a deal but for those of you who might find the trip too long you can contact your TA if you are booked with Sunquest.

We are on our way on Feb 6th for 1 week.

Buenos dias!

Hi,

I just returned last night from the el Portillo with Sunquest. I was there from Jan 20-27. I was offered the same refund or date exchange three days prior to leaving for my trip. The real reason they are offering this that the hotel is over booked. They offered other guests while I was there to move to the Cayo Levantado on Jan 23 and 24.

There are room sections still under construction (Junior Suites are still being built). The Pueblo Principe is still under contruction. I went there with an open mind after reading all of the reviews good and bad. We had an issue with our room. Just so that everyone is aware make sure you specify that you require a double bed room because they only have 24 rooms in the standard room section with double beds. We were given a king size bedroom on the ground floor and after we complained and showed our invoice with the special instruction, we received a double bedroom. Also, the room that we were eventually given, the fixtures in the bedroom were re-used (stained toilet and stained bathtub). We also had an issue with a rat in our room on the first night. I could hear something in the room and the next morning there were rat droppings everywhere. We went to Marie Josee who is the Sunquest rep at the hotel and told her what had happened. We tried to get another room but all they could offer was a king size room that day or a double bed room in two days. The maid who spoke no English told us with hand gestures that they caught the rat. We stayed in the room because it was close to the resort and the other room they were going to move us to was at the back of the resort.

This hotel still needs to work out all of the kinks including having staff that speak English. I fould that they either spoke better French, Italian or German. The majority of the guests there were from Canada.