Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Taxes on top of the vacation price

Yesterday during the day I did research on some deals for Dominican Republic. WOW I saw $575 tax on top of all inclusive deal … sunquest was seller and I could not believe how hight tax was. Later yesterday I wanted to show to my wife how tax to Dominican went crazy and when I showed her my screen taxes were $425 and I said ok this is normal. Anyone know why or anyone payed so big tax like $575 so far?

Admin … I just did some checking also using Sunquest as the Tour Operator. And you are right, the taxes are outlandish. But if we want to visit our favourite destination, then we Canadians have to pay the high taxes that are tacked on to our All-Inclusive price. Here is what I found :

Leaving Toronto on Monday March 25, flying to POP with Sunquest on…

WEST JET, returning on AMERICAN AIRLINES : taxes are $511.09

AMERICAN AIRLINES, returning on AA: taxes are $519.00

AIR CANADA, returning on AMERICAN AIRLINES: taxes are $503.03

AIR CANADA, returning on AC: taxes are $533.27

Around March 1st, an additional $25 was added to our taxes/fees due to the low Canadian dollar. But other than that, taxes are way to high & they shouldn’t be !!

Highest taxed airfares in the Caribbean

bobk

I agree bobk ! I found another one last night: March 27th …5 nights at the Iberostar Costa Dorada…flying out of Toronto to POP on American Airlines …Tax was $604 on top of a $1100 AI — one word for that is “OUCH” !!

I think $604 is the highest tax so far I have heard!

[quote=@admin][quote=@mra]I agree bobk ! I found another one last night: March 27th …5 nights at the Iberostar Costa Dorada…flying out of Toronto to POP on American Airlines …Tax was $604 on top of a $1100 AI — one word for that is “OUCH” !![/quote]I think $604 is the highest tax so far I have heard!
[/quote]

not sure where you guys are finding this 604… the highest I could find is 537 with sunquest, and as low as 176 with west jet for DR AI… but in the long run it gets down to the price on the bottom line , as the west jet final price was about the same or more as the higher tax companies,

wait till next year pricing with the decreasing Canadian dollar , a steaming ahead US economy ( which means oil has no way to go but up ) … going to make this years prices look like a picnic

northernale1 …I think that $604 in taxes was on the Red Tag site. I’ve just checked again & now, on March 25 to the IB*CD (6 nights), Toronto to POP flying West Jet & AA, tax is $592 …still high :frowning:

I am not sure how but tax price change during the day. Is is because of march break? Not sure but in the morning I saw one price at evening another price of the tax. I was looking at iTravel website.

like I said go by bottom line price,( the final price you are paying), rest is all a big game

Taxes are usually higher to the DR, Mexico and Jamaica. Cuba was around $280ish, now up over $300 thanks to the low looney so the companies can now tack on a currecny fee, along with high oil fees, baggae fees and any other fee they can come up with.

But I know it’s always the bottom line to look at. Westjet usually has “lower” taxes, but their base price is often much higher than the others so really it’s just a game.

But, that being said. This is the biggest reason I have not been back to the DR in years. Often I can book a whole week to Cuba for less than just the “taxes” to the DR…:frowning:

The taxes to the Dominican Republic from Winnipeg on a Sunwing flight is $433. Then you have to add on the price of the accommodation.

The tax component is not all taxes. The tour operators have seen fit the pull the wool over your eyes. Try asking a tour operator to break the fee down. Good luck with that. The tax charged is supposed to be the departure tax and the airport fees at both locations. The tour operators originally thought if they took this out of the price it would seem like a better price. Then the profit element came into play. They started putting fuel charges in and lately the differential for the Can dollar to US. The balance is just profit. I would love some one to explain how the Can dollar loss to the US has any rise in costs. Fortunately I very seldom purchase all inclusives. Take the total package deal and ask would I pay that compared to some where else. Remember to compare apple to apples.

Didn’t government of Canada place new law that all prices advertised must show together tax and price so that there is no confusion?

I found article that said Ontario and Quebec require agencies to include all fees and surcharges in their advertised prices, most provinces — which regulate how travel agents advertise — require no such provision for travel agencies http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/12/16/airline-ads-must-advertise-true-cost-of-flights-by-christmas-next-year/ but I am not sure if this is only for air flights or as well for all inclusive deals.

I know that the “taxes” arent really a set tax, like the HST for example in NB at 13%.

But I also know that it is usually pretty much a set amount for each carrier for each country they fly to.

Sunwing taxes to Cuba is $334 , but Transat or ACV maybe more or less. But Sunwing taxes to the DR are $425, wheres others charge closer to $500 for example. While the base cost may change, the taxe’s generally dont(ACV is the exception sometimes with their “reduced” tax sales)

I too have tried to no avail in the past to have the airlines and tour operators give me a break down of the taxes and fees… none have done it. This tells me they are still hiding things from the consumer and no amount of regulation will make them tell us exactly what the taxes and fees are.

For example, if you book flight only the taxes and fees are clearly spelled out on your invoice… this is NOT the case with a packaged vacation. Sadly these extras fees are NOT going to the resort thus the poor resort is still expected to give us a great vacation for the same old price while the tour operators get richer.

So most taxes go to the travel agencies or airports ?

Air Canada gives a pretty good description of where ‘most’ of it goes.
But I thought there were other things like the overfly fee to the US for flying through their airspace.
See http://www.aircanada.com/shared/en/common/flights/pop_surcharge.html

edit: Never mind, I see it now, second item …

[quote=@bobfromcanada]Air Canada gives a pretty good description of where ‘most’ of it goes.
But I thought there were other things like the overfly fee to the US for flying through their airspace.
See http://www.aircanada.com/shared/en/common/flights/pop_surcharge.html

edit: Never mind, I see it now, second item …[/quote]

That is excellent link to learn for what money is used when we pay taxes for our vacation and flights. Thanks for sharing!

It’s a little harder to find on the Westjet site. You have to start a booking and then click on the tax breakdown link. This is a sample, edited heavily to remove all the extra spaces from cut&paste. I picked one person, Toronto to Punta Cana, Mar 21, return Mar 26. Apparently the numbers change depending on dates.

Air transportation charges

adult Total

Base fare $523.00 CAD

Other air transportation charges $15.00 CAD

Taxes, fees and charges
Air Travellers Security Charge (ATSC) $25.91 CAD
Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) $3.25 CAD
Airport Improvement Fee (AIF) $25.00 CAD
Tourist Card $12.51 CAD
Airport Authority Fee $34.10 CAD
Airport Infrastructure Fee $37.06 CAD
Airport Departure Tax (International) $22.74 CAD