Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Taxis

Hi Folks ,
We are staying in the Playa Dorado Complex . Just wondering about hiring a taxi to take us into Sosua for the day . Should we take a taxi from our resort (Playa naco) or should we walk out to the main gates & get a taxi from there? I have heard that there are different types of taxis? govt (tourist) ? private? . What should we expect to pay to go into sosua , also prices for cabarete ? Should we pay both ways in advance ? or just 1 way spend the day then hire a taxi to go back ? I dont know if we are brave enough to catch a gua gua lol Also if we catch a taxi from outside of the Playa Dorado Complex will our taxi be allowed to take us right to our resort or will we have to be dropped off @ the gates ? Questions Questions lol We are really looking forward to exploring much more off resort this trip .
Mucho Gracias ßouquet :smiley:

Safest & most expensive is to take the taxi from the resort. If you tie it into a tour/return trip you are in a better position to negotiate a better price. Next best is to get taxi outside the gate. The outside taxis cannot pick you up at your hotel, but they can return you there. If you are doing the return trip then pay him when you get back to the hotel. Otherwise pay him when you get there. Don’t even get into the taxi until the fare has been agreed on.

I find the return prices for the Playa Dorada taxis quite reasonable compared to 2 one-way fares.
Return to Sosua is listed at around $50 US (1650 pesos) but you can get one for around 1300 pesos.
If you are going to be there all day he will come back for you but if you expect him to drive you around all day then of course this will cost more.
Find a good driver, buy him a bite to eat and a couple of drinks and he will be happy and at your service for the rest of your trip for significantly less than the list prices.
There are also taxis at the plaza and golf course in case the ones at the resort don’t want to be reasonable and they can pick you up any time you call.

I was gets a taxi from Vitalis Lifestyles to Rocky in Sosa, I asks for both ways come backs for me in 3 hours he tells me US 50
I goes to Rocky he to come back in 3 hours no show ups so I gets a taxi back to vitalis for $25
other guy now has no luck or mony froms me.

imre

[quote author=imre board=Poparea thread=1170881118 post=1170892495]I was gets a taxi from Vitalis Lifestyles to Rocky in Sosa, I asks for both ways come backs for me in 3 hours he tells me US 50
I goes to Rocky he to come back in 3 hours no show ups so I gets a taxi back to vitalis for $25
other guy now has no luck or mony froms me.[/quote]

other guy say max nix got mucho dinero for poco work better next time no pay too soon good rule all over planet

:wink: ;D ::slight_smile: :stuck_out_tongue:

mountainfrog

Good Day ,
Ahhhhh what oh what would I ever do without all you fine Folks @ Debbies !? Bob & Mountainfrog , point well taken no dinero till we get back to the hotel , return sounds like the way to go . Malibook , a sip & a bite to eat for him @ Check Point when he drops us off , sounds like a plan :slight_smile: Imre , it sounds like from your experience , that the savvy advice from these fellas is the way to go .
If we ask our driver to stop off @ the Supermarcado on the way back , after we have already agreed upon a price would this be outta line ? I really dread thinking about trying to get thru that crazy 3 way intersection ! Also would anyone happen to know the name of that Supermarcado ? or can I just say to the fella “Supermarcado” ?
Cheers ßouquet :smiley:

P.S. just did some searching in old posts & found the name “Playero Supermarcado” if this is correct can some one high 5 me :wink: Mucho Gracias

If you’re doing the return trip, throwing in the word ‘supermercado’ along with circular hand motions should let him know that you want to stop at one somewhere on your trip. He’ll know of one somewhere near your route. The only one I know of personally is the other way and well inside Puerto Plata, and it’s not near where you would be going on a trip to Sosua.