Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Taxis

Does anyone know how much it costs for a taxi from Santiago to Puerto Plata or cofresi??? Thanks.

I arranged for 4 friends of mine to travel from STI to Breezes in Puerto Plata with Paradise Transportation for $80 on the 9th. I think that is about the norm. I have 2 friends coming in on the 10th and the price is the same. They (Rocio & JJ) came highly recommended on a few DR web forums and they are quick to email you back and verify.
I just checked the POP to STI taxi rate and it IS $80. http://www.dr1.com/forums/north-coast/50568-current-taxi-rates-pop-airport-3.html

[quote author=bettyb2 board=Poparea thread=1168362271 post=1168364084]I arranged for 4 friends of mine to travel from STI to Breezes in Puerto Plata with Paradise Transportation for $80 on the 9th. I think that is about the norm. I have 2 friends coming in on the 10th and the price is the same. They (Rocio & JJ) came highly recommended on a few DR web forums and they are quick to email you back and verify.
I just checked the POP to STI taxi rate and it IS $80. http://www.dr1.com/forums/north-coast/50568-current-taxi-rates-pop-airport-3.html[/quote]

The only time it may be a bit more is if you travel in the middle of the night. When we landed in STI it was around 4 a.m. but we chose to relax and people watch until around 7 a.m. when we would pay the daytime rate. It was nice not to be rushed and watching Dominicans is always fun. They are certainly unique in their approach to life.

Rocio and JJ’s website is www.paradisetrans.com and the e-mail is info@paradisetrans.com

Gregg

Thanks for the reply. I took your advice and booked the company. One thing less to worry about.

You can take a bus for much less money. Call Metro Bus Lines (phone: +1 809-566-7126). I use this bus all the time when doing business. They are beautiful modern very clean air conditioned buses with a coffee station and cookies at back by washroom. Much nicer than Greyhound by 1000%. I pay about $7 US dollars to go from Purto Plata to Santo Domingo, so to Santiago I’m guessing would probably be around $5 US dollars. Its very comfortable and mostly business travellers. Bring a jacket and don’t wear shorts as the air conditioning is frigid.

Good Luck.

why dont you find a caribe tours bus station??its kind of like greyhound - airconditioned (actually like a meat locker) and very comfortable. it will be a lot cheaper that way. take caribe tours to puerto plata and then take a taxi to the hotel

It’s not just the bus fare you have to compare with the taxi fare. You have to take a taxi from STI to the Metro or Caribe Tours terminal in Santiago. You then have to wait for the bus which may be a while depending on connections. and finally on arrival in Puerto Plata you have to take a taxi to Cofresi. Adding it all up, plus the extra hour(s) it may take, plus the possible difficulty if your Spanish isn’t so great and finally the possible high taxi fares (if your Gringo Factor is high) may make it much closer to the fare charged by Paradise Transportation - or you may save a few bucks for your troubles.

Not my personal best way to start a vacation - but to each his or her own.

Gregg