Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

The' Bubba Keg'

Hello everyone!..after spending seven sun filled wonderful days sitting on the beach last year, the six of us spent the last few days trying to come up with a way to minimize the time spent in line at the beach bar. The solution we came up with is, the 52 ounce BUBBA KEG!!..LOL…the question is, has anyone ever taken one down there and encountered difficulties with the bar staff refusing to fill them?
I know that 52 ounces is an awful lot of beer, but believe me, we are up to the challenge.

Not a problem at Cameleon Jibacoa…

Never a problem but after four days your wrist may feel it.
I’ve since downsized slightly to the 34 oz model.

Thanks!..the idea was to fill them and then use them to replenish our glasses…

Better than 7 guys in line for one beer each (except for the person in line behind the guy with the 50 oz Bubba).

I am bringing two of them ( one for each hand), LOL…LOL…

:slight_smile: What resort will you be staying at kevster? :-*

gezz…I gotta put my 2 cents in here :slight_smile: those BUBBA mugs/jugs are disugsting! Have a little sympathy for the others in line, you 'll definatly get some wierd looks and poor service usin em…there 2 cents worth of MY opinion…happy vacation :slight_smile:

My spouse and I each bring a 52 oz. Bubba. We fill one with cerveza and one with water. We wait until the bar line is empty - no one waiting! A slight problem came up only once - In El Savador. In ES there is no draft beer; everything is poured from a bottle. Fortunately, the bottles are litre size - 1.5 bottles to fill the keg.

Think of this - one trip to the bar for the mid-morning, fill bubba, grap 2 small glasses. Go to lunch; bring empty bubba. On the way back to the beach, stop at bar, Bartender rinses bubba and plastic glasses; fills up bubba for the afternoon. (And again, there is no one at the bar).

There is usually a few bartenders trying to outdo each other knowing that we are leaving 2 bubbas behind and each one wants to be the recipient.

We personally bring Tim’s coffee mugs and fill 'em up X number of times per day. The drinks stay cool long enough till the next drink. :sunglasses: :sunglasses: ;D ;D

Does the beer or drink of choice not get too warm in a 52oz container? ??? ??? or are you drinking them that fast :wink: :wink: :wink:

[quote=@homey]My spouse and I each bring a 52 oz. Bubba. We fill one with cerveza and one with water. We wait until the bar line is empty - no one waiting! A slight problem came up only once - In El Savador. In ES there is no draft beer; everything is poured from a bottle. Fortunately, the bottles are litre size - 1.5 bottles to fill the keg.

Think of this - one trip to the bar for the mid-morning, fill bubba, grap 2 small glasses. Go to lunch; bring empty bubba. On the way back to the beach, stop at bar, Bartender rinses bubba and plastic glasses; fills up bubba for the afternoon. (And again, there is no one at the bar).

There is usually a few bartenders trying to outdo each other knowing that we are leaving 2 bubbas behind and each one wants to be the recipient.[/quote]
That my friend, is exactly what we intend to do!!..

We are heading back to the Turquesa. We started with just four of us and the number kept growing…LOL…anyway, will be interested in seeing the changes since Riu left the island.
Last year 5 star beach, 3 star food and rooms…

Kevster: we stayed at the Riu Turquesa pre-Bubba. Unfortunately, we picked the wrong time of year - early Dec when it was a little on the chilly side! But we really enjoyed it. Did find it a little to far from town - but the beach was truly amazing. I’m jealous.

[quote=@ald1]We personally bring Tim’s coffee mugs and fill 'em up X number of times per day. The drinks stay cool long enough till the next drink. :sunglasses: :sunglasses: ;D ;D

Does the beer or drink of choice not get too warm in a 52oz container? ??? ??? or are you drinking them that fast :wink: :wink: ;)[/quote]

And beer gets flat too, after a while…

To each their own, I guess.

I also take a “normal” size thermal mug and leave it behind.

[quote=@annem][quote=@ald1]We personally bring Tim’s coffee mugs and fill 'em up X number of times per day. The drinks stay cool long enough till the next drink. :sunglasses: :sunglasses: ;D ;D

Does the beer or drink of choice not get too warm in a 52oz container? ??? ??? or are you drinking them that fast :wink: :wink: ;)[/quote]

And beer gets flat too, after a while…

To each their own, I guess.

I also take a “normal” size thermal mug and leave it behind.[/quote
Well Anne, when you have 6 people pouring out of 2 Bubba’s, in 85 degree heat, the beer won’t get flat. Think about it.

The only way that I can stay somewhat sober is to try and walk to the bar. I always set my GPS to the location of each bar at the resort and to the location of my room. Unfortunately, I am not always able to follow the map or verbal directions due to lack of sobriety.
True " drinkers " hang around the bar and tend to look foolish in public rather than hide on the beach nursing a gigantic " Bubba Keg ". ;D ;D :sunglasses:

Well everyone this was fun. Thank you all for your candid opinions!!
We, will bring our Bubba Kegs with us on Monday the 26th. We will do our utmost to fill them during slow times at the bar ( so as not to inconvenience anyone), and we will try, and I mean TRY to make sure none of that beer goes flat.
On our last day we intend to leave one keg ( with CUC inside it) with the security guard on the beach that will have intently watched over our belongings and made sure our chairs are waiting for us every morning during our trip, and the other with the bartender on the beach who filled those kegs 6 times a day.

Thank you all once again!
Kevin.

[quote=@sunbud]The only way that I can stay somewhat sober is to try and walk to the bar. I always set my GPS to the location of each bar at the resort and to the location of my room. Unfortunately, I am not always able to follow the map or verbal directions due to lack of sobriety.
True " drinkers " hang around the bar and tend to look foolish in public rather than hide on the beach nursing a gigantic " Bubba Keg ". ;D ;D 8-)[/quote]

You my friend are a true Canadian … ;D ;D :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

“Well everyone this was fun. Thank you all for your candid opinions!!”

Well consider the can of worms open ;D

To each is own and I say that with out giving a shot either way :wink:

Enjoy your Holiday after all YOU paid for it !

[quote=@sunbud]The only way that I can stay somewhat sober is to try and walk to the bar. I always set my GPS to the location of each bar at the resort and to the location of my room. Unfortunately, I am not always able to follow the map or verbal directions due to lack of sobriety.
True " drinkers " hang around the bar and tend to look foolish in public rather than hide on the beach nursing a gigantic " Bubba Keg ". ;D ;D 8-)[/quote]

The resort has lots and lots of rooms .
Only a handful of bars!!!
Stay close to the supplies !! ;D