Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

The change in Sunwing Airlines?

I have used Sunwing airlines in the past and really thought they were a great airline out of Winnipeg. The flight scheduling, delayed flights and increase in pricing for Caribbean destinations has really made me frustrated with them in the last couple of years. There isn’t too much choice for direct flights out of Winnipeg, except with Sunwing. Air Canada doesn’t have any direct flights to Cuba, unless you go through Toronto, which is also very frustrating. How has Sunwing performed in your areas of the country?

The couple times I’ve send them from Ottawa has been good. We were delayed southbound on one flight but that was due to a paperwork issue before it left Sudbury. Overall they’ve been better than Thomas Cook was!

Sunwing flies from Fredericton but their schedule of arriving late and leaving early costs a day on their Varadero runs.

I’ve had good service from Sunwing, although they garner more than their share of complaints from time to time. Communication appears to be their weak point, but I think that is pretty common among air carriers. Hard to find out about flight delays. I think a lot of the time it is because the reps don’t know what is going on either, so they can’t tell you!

Anyhow, I will continue to use Sunwing as long as they service the destinations that interest me. Often they are the only option!

[quote=@eeeefarm]I’ve had good service from Sunwing, although they garner more than their share of complaints from time to time. Communication appears to be their weak point, but I think that is pretty common among air carriers. Hard to find out about flight delays. I think a lot of the time it is because the reps don’t know what is going on either, so they can’t tell you!

Anyhow, I will continue to use Sunwing as long as they service the destinations that interest me. Often they are the only option! [/quote]

Agree with eeeefarm; Actually of all the charters from Ottawa/ Montreal/ TO, they are my favourite to fly with. The only bad experience I have had with Sunwing is at Montreal airport. They are way under staffed and when there are multiple Sunwing flights leaving around the same time. there is only one crew handling all the flights so it creates a delay. it even pisses of the flight crew as it is a continuing issue from Montreal.

We’ve used Sunwing a few times out of Toronto and have been pleased with their service. Last year we had a bit of a problem getting our Price Drop Guarantee but with intervention from our Travel Agent it came through. This year we fly Sunwing out of Hamilton - much more convenient for us. A 2 minute walk from the Long Term Parking Lot to the Terminal! Hamilton is not new to us as we’ve been out of there a number of times on WestJet to points east and west so we’re looking forward to it instead of busy Toronto.

I was wondering what the problem was of getting the Price Drop Guarantee? Was it because the trip wasn’t paid in full with Sunwing?

We had our free week at BJ so booked a 1 week package and extended our return flight I week(deviation fee). When I was booking with our Travel Agent she phoned Sunwing to make sure we were eligible - deviation aside. We were told YES! Trip was fully paid and when I applied they said I didn’t book a package - that we just booked a flight. Sent all my booking info and after numerous times back and forth getting nowhere my Travel Agent looked after it. So that’s the long drawn out story shortened considerably !

I keep preaching at people to book through a good T/A for this very reason. People think I am crazy , even though it’s the same cost. Glad you got that straightened out. Wouldn’t that have been fun to arrive in Cuba and find that your name is not on any lists when you tried to board the bus. I’ve heard of people not being on the hotel list and only get a room because they have the voucher with them.

I have a great TA and she has saved me lots of aggravation over the years. One phone call to her and she deals with it. I don’t have to waste my time! She matches online prices and gives me great service, and I know she has my back if sh*t happens.

Yes I know a lot of people who do their own bookings but I’m not one of them. I always use my Agent. I do the homework, print it off, and take it in and let them look after it. Then…if there is a problem they’ll go to bat for you. Never say never !!!

[p]We’ve never booked with Sunwing and never will but I know quite a few who have and some of their stories. Unfortunately, as some others have mentioned, they are often the only option as was the case, for the first time last year, out of Vancouver.  Both Air Transat and Air Canada had dropped Vancouver as a departure for Varadero. We ended up going Air Canada Vacations and connecting through Calgary. Fortunately, Air Transat has come to their senses and returned to Vancouver for this winter season and we are booked with them. The most recent complaint I’ve heard about Sunwing was a number of recent flights out of Varadero where quite a few passengers had their luggage left in Varadero and it took quite a few days to track down the luggage and get it back. Those complaining all said the same thing - terrible communications and poor PR on the behalf of Sunwing. In my opinion, you can’t keep under cutting the other tour operators without cutting corners somewhere.   A coworker’s daughter was a flight attendant with Sunwing and quit because she was so dissatisfied and unhappy working for them - WestJet they aren’t!![/p][p]I’ll just throw in that we only book through our travel agent, also. She’s the expert, not me, and any issues that have popped up, she’s dealt with saving me much time and aggravation. She’s gotten us booked before prices even show up on line.[/p][p]
[/p]

I’m frankly surprised to hear that many of you go through TAs to book your trips. I thought you were all internet whizzes who did everything online. My bad! We booked our first 2 trips South with a TA, but opted for booking online thereafter (Voyages Bergeron, Nolitours+Signature out of Mtl, Voyages à rabais…
We’ve flown with Sunwing many times, had only one bad experience (departure dates changed) but generally no major problems. The food is better on Sunwing flights but I must say I prefer Air Transat planes, newer, more space.

Out of Qc City, the main carriers to Cuba are (order of frequency) Sunwing, Transat, Westjet, Canjet. Air Can offers no flights South. Heck, we can’t even fly directly from Québec to the Maritimes without a lay-over in Montréal!

I really hope that Sunwing adds more planes to their fleet. It might help out a bit. The direct flight times out of Winnipeg for Cuba are the later red-eye flights which I’m not comfortable with. Air Canada doesn’t even have a direct flight to Cuba. So no choices of carriers here.

I use a TA because she matches online prices and she has my back if anything goes wrong. When I was evacuated from Cuba because of Hurricane Paloma in 2008, I made one phone call to my TA, and she sorted things out. Someone I had met at the resort who had booked on line had major hassles, spent many hours on the phone, and only got the same compensation I got because we were in touch by email and he was able to use my information to negotiate. Otherwise he would have been SOL. (my TA even offered to help him if he couldn’t obtain the same deal). Bottom line, I got all of my expenses back, including the Club Class I had used one leg of on the trip down. No wasted time on my part.

My TA has also salvaged trips for me when I thought I had waited too long, and in one case got a seat on the plane reallocated to the resort I wanted to book, after all the seats meant for that resort had been assigned. She also advises me when to jump and when I can afford to wait a bit. I get a call saying “there are only three seats left on the plane, if you want it, book now!” Can’t beat service like that! :wink: