Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

The Joy of Alcohol

Cuba is known for its rum, but they also produce some wonderful liqueurs. I have a collection of Cubay liqueurs: Menta, Azul, Pina, Marasquin, Cafe, Banana, Cacao. These are usually 3.10 CUC.

I have a large variety of different rums: Havana Club (duh!), Ron Santiago, Ron Varadero, Ron Caney, Ron Vigia, Ron Mulata. I used to buy HC Barrel Proof which was discontinued and now they sell Seleccion des Maestros. One of my favourite Cuban discoveries is Ron Legendario Elixir de Ron. It is a rum, but the texture is honey-like and more like a liqueur.

Do you enjoy collecting alcohol and what have you purchased? What did you wish you’d bought more of? (For me, Legendario should come by the case!)

Recently read an article that the factory where Legendario is bottled may be closing. Best to stock up soon if you can. I am hoping there will still be some around in April! I’ll have to try and find the article for you.

Thanks for the possible heads up… Heading to Cuba in 7 days so will make sure to pick some up. Would be a shame if they stop production.

I always bring home a bottle of the white tequila, only because its a quarter of the price there, and I love it!

Husband usually brings home rum of some sort… he changes it up quite a bit! We have also brought home some liqueurs in the past; specially the banana and cherry - yum!

Here is the article. Apparently factory is now closed. http://www.havanatimes.org/?p=102276

I always buy bottle of Rum to bring home. I would buy Mulata or Havana Club 3 anos or 7 anos. If I get white rum I use it to make cocktail and dark old one I would sip by itself. Do I collect alcohol that I buy in Cuba? No I don’t as usually I drink it with my friends so I have to get a new fresh bottle when I go to Cuba. Sometimes we give bottle of rum as present to friends so no time to collect it.

Now that IS bad news! Santiago is our favourite, hands down.

Every trip I buy an expensive rum (not available in Canada) and some less expensive different brands. I’ve got a nice collecton of Cuban rums and I’ve found that I really prefer some of the less expensive rums. IMO the Havana Club rums are overrated.
This year I bought a bottle of Legendario because of the rave reviews on this site. I can see why it’s so popular, very sweet, smooth, easy to drink (more like a liquor) with a bit of ice, and it’s only about $8. I wish I’d brought back a few more bottles (especially if the plant is closing).
Every year I look at the Havana Club Maximo, about $1500/btl, and as much as I would love to add it to my collection, I’ve been disappointed with other HC products so I won’t buy it unless I can try it first, which isn’t going to happen at a resort.
In my collection (Cuban) I’ve got Ron Santero, Ron Caney, Ron Santiago (11yr), Ron Mulato (15 yr), HC Barrel Proof, HC Gran Reserva (15 yr),HC Seleccion des Maestros, Ron Vigia (18 yr) & Legendario. It would be a bigger collection if I drank less rum or made more trips to Cuba.

I have nothing to add except to say this thread has the best Subject Title since the forum rebooted. :wink:

Cheers,
Terry

Just came back and brought back 6 bottles of Legendario (there were three of us)
A great drink on ice

[quote=@cheersterry]I have nothing to add except to say this thread has the best Subject Title since the forum rebooted. :wink:

Cheers,
Terry
[/quote]
Discussions about booze in Cuba are always “nicer” than those about food, gifting or towel wars. Love your avatar Terry.

[quote=@cubavisitor]Every trip I buy an expensive rum (not available in Canada) and some less expensive different brands. I’ve got a nice collecton of Cuban rums and I’ve found that I really prefer some of the less expensive rums. IMO the Havana Club rums are overrated.
This year I bought a bottle of Legendario because of the rave reviews on this site. I can see why it’s so popular, very sweet, smooth, easy to drink (more like a liquor) with a bit of ice, and it’s only about $8. I wish I’d brought back a few more bottles (especially if the plant is closing).
Every year I look at the Havana Club Maximo, about $1500/btl, and as much as I would love to add it to my collection, I’ve been disappointed with other HC products so I won’t buy it unless I can try it first, which isn’t going to happen at a resort.
In my collection (Cuban) I’ve got Ron Santero, Ron Caney, Ron Santiago (11yr), Ron Mulato (15 yr), HC Barrel Proof, HC Gran Reserva (15 yr),HC Seleccion des Maestros, Ron Vigia (18 yr) & Legendario. It would be a bigger collection if I drank less rum or made more trips to Cuba. [/quote]

Cubavisitor, are you sure you aren’t taking about My house?? LOL :slight_smile:

Here’s my collection, with many of the same Rums (all-unopened)

Somehow, my collection is missing the Massimo too?

[img alt="" src=“http://gambitt.smugmug.com/Other/Rum/37755167_224xTv#!i=3127011185&k=9pF57fQ&lb=1&s=A” style=“max-width:100%;”]http://gambitt.smugmug.com/Other/Rum/37755167_224xTv#!i=3127011185&k=9pF57fQ&lb=1&s=A
[img alt="" src=“http://gambitt.smugmug.com/Other/Rum/37755167_224xTv#!i=3127011185&k=9pF57fQ&lb=1&s=A” style=“max-width:100%;”]

That’s not a collection, it’s a sacred shrine…

Nice shrine!!!

Why, you could open your own… Uh, never mind.

[attachment id=“225” thumbnail=“1”]

I don’t have a shrine like Eric but do have a similar collection. Cuban rums in front row. Unlike Eric’s all mine have been opened and sampled. We could combine them and have a heck of a rum tasting party.

[a href=“http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p174/sbinky123/DSC05676.jpg~original”]http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p174/sbinky123/DSC05676.jpg~original[/a]

Where do you live? I’ll help with bartending.

I am so bummed about the loss of Legendario. Friends are in Santiago this week and are under strict orders to bring me back a bottle. Luckily I had a few 3 CUC bills around from my last trip. Here’s hoping they can find it!

I have a few rums in my collection but I see myself more of a whiskey connoiseur. I have the book “A 1001 Whiskeys You Have To Try Before You Die”… I am doing my best to work through the book :slight_smile:

While on a recent visit to Cayo Largo I noticed a bottle of George Bill Premier Whiskey on the shelf in the store. I couldn’t resist… I had to add it to my collection!

When I arrived home I cracked it open and it absolutely met my expectations… it was the worst whiskey I ever tasted LOL!

It wasn’t even in the book so I took a photo of the bottle and add the page to the book…the authors can thank me later :slight_smile:

I’m glad I skipped that one and loaded up on Cubay liquors.