Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Things I will never get used to in the D.R

Keep in mind that this is my experience and not necessarilly that of everyone who has lived for extended periods of time in the D.R. These items definately are not prevalent in the resort areas, at least not as much. I will add to this list as I recall things and would love to know what others have experienced.

1. Not having electricity 24/7

2. Not having water 24/7

3. Children 4 years old still using a bottle, with nipple.

4. 4 year olds with a pacifier

5. Not being able to drink the tap water

6. cold showers

7. Spiders bigger than my stretched hand

8. Roads that in the US that would be considered wilderness trails

9. Knowing that many locals look at me trying to figure out a way to exploit me because I am a “rich Americano”.

10. Steel bars on windows and doors

11. Corrupt police

12. Knowing a young pretty girl in the campo and realizing that someday she may hear that the easy way out of her poverty is to ply the oldest profession.

13. Riding on the back of a 100 CC moto

14. Watching my stepdaughter and 2 to 3 other children on the back of a 100cc moto going to school

15. Rice and beans every day

16. Meat cooked so long and prfusely that it all tastes the same whether it is chicken or pork

17. the same 4 or 5 spices in every thing that is cooked

18. Cruelty to animals. I do not care to be specific.

19. Cattle trucks going to the slaughter house with many of the cattle being dead

20. Watching my lunch run around in the morning.

21. The total disrespect of traffic laws.

22. The total disrespect given to locals by many tourists

23. Slow service wherever you go

24. Waiting in line for hours when you need to do anything ‘official’

25. Men believing that it is OK to have a girlfriend and a wife.

26. Women who look like they put on their make-up with a ‘Wagner Power Roller’

27. Red hair on a dark skinned lady

28. Lack of public bathrooms and the when there is one it is often nasty

29. not being able to flush toilet paper

30. Incessant littering

31. Not saving for a rainy day, spend it now! Hey, ya never know if you are gonna be around the next day.

32. Rats… also called ‘the clean up crew’

33. Cock roaches

34. huge centipedes (I shutter when I think of some of the 6" ones I have seen!)

35. Everything is always dirty because of the dirt roads

36. The foul smell in the air because there are so many 2 cycle motos in the cities

37. Music that plays at deafening decibels

38. Vendors with their megaphones whom you can hear when they are 1/2 mile down the road

Phil,
the list is long and looks very complete,
so i copied that and write my own exp/mean’s behind.

1. Not having electricity 24/7***yeap, we bought an coverage sys for that in bayaguana and san pedro, thanks good that’s no prob in PC

2. Not having water 24/7***i did not encounter that since years, not even in Bayaguana(campo), so can not coment on that

3. Children 4 years old still using a bottle, with nipple.***i hate that, too.

4. 4 year olds with a pacifier***???

5. Not being able to drink the tap water***we do not drink the tap water in my homecountry germany neither

6. cold showers***i love them even that i have warm water, too

7. Spiders bigger than my stretched hand***they took me more than a year to get used to their company, today i even grab them, ha ha, we’re changing with the time, yes.

8. Roads that in the US that would be considered wilderness trails***you need at least 3 years steadily on the island driving here everyday to get used to local behaviors automatically, that been a very big difference, today’s i have just trouble when driving at ‘home’ once a year

9. Knowing that many locals look at me trying to figure out a way to exploit me because I am a “rich Americano”.***after a few weeks in the community i did not encounter that again

10. Steel bars on windows and doors***we sorrily need such in germany , too, even on the countryside, so that not been new to me, even that we do not use the ‘steel bars’, but the security locks and alarms aso which are here in the country replaced by simple steel bars, cheaper and work the same.

11. Corrupt police***yeap, huge difference, never really get used to such, and sorrily it is not only the police

12. Knowing a young pretty girl in the campo and realizing that someday she may hear that the easy way out of her poverty is to ply the oldest profession.***fact of life, yes

13. Riding on the back of a 100 CC moto***i biked my whole life, and stopped doing such after a few months here on the island. to be the passenger on the back would be worse for me

14. Watching my stepdaughter and 2 to 3 other children on the back of a 100cc moto going to school***i do not allow my son(5) and not even his mother to use motoconchos, no way

15. Rice and beans every day***we have 3 days a week rice on the table, i don’t like beans, but a typical dominican kittchen has more variety than that. my wife is a campo-girl and i am absolutely happy with her variations

16. Meat cooked so long and prfusely that it all tastes the same whether it is chicken or pork***ha ha, my better one would get in trouble with me for such

17. the same 4 or 5 spices in every thing that is cooked***wanna say that my own prefered likings in case of spices are not more than 5-7

18. Cruelty to animals. I do not care to be specific.***i never get used to that, it is something what drives me nuts always, doesn’t matter how long i am at the same place

19. Cattle trucks going to the slaughter house with many of the cattle being dead***i hate that, too, but not soo long ago we had several scandals all over europe including germany about such transportations

20. Watching my lunch run around in the morning.***i love that, it guarantees freshness of alimentation

21. The total disrespect of traffic laws.***you get used to the not written traffic laws after a longer while driving here on daily bases. forget about the written ones, who would read them?

22. The total disrespect given to locals by many tourists***i skip this one, my answer would be too long and some people may feel offended

23. Slow service wherever you go***i don’t find the services in the country too slow, they are ‘less hectic’ than i’ve ben used to that from home. i like the caribbean styled ones much more.

24. Waiting in line for hours when you need to do anything ‘official’***are 'ya an officer??ha ha

25. Men believing that it is OK to have a girlfriend and a wife.***would not name that just typical dominican, nt even just typical Latin, it is just ‘shown/presented’ different, divorce ratios in other countries proof that.

26. Women who look like they put on their make-up with a ‘Wagner Power Roller’***i don’t know what a wagner power roller is, but my lastname is Wagner!!

27. Red hair on a dark skinned lady***can look good and bad, always depends on the type of women using the colors, red or blond aso

28. Lack of public bathrooms and the when there is one it is often nasty***that’s a bad matter of fact and i will never get used to that one

29. not being able to flush toilet paper***it is an inconvenience when on the countryside, yes, but wow, i spend many time of the year on boats, same applies there, like on planes and in many countries. luckily here at our PC home we can flush it away

30. Incessant littering***i get never used to such and never accept such. sorrily i often(nearby daily) watch such stu… behavior by expats or visitors. looks often that good mannors do not cross borders when passing customs

31. Not saving for a rainy day, spend it now! Hey, ya never know if you are gonna be around the next day.***would not name that much out of the ordinary on this planet, every car or TV aso is “fiao”(not paid)

32. Rats… also called ‘the clean up crew’***point “30” calls the up everywhere

33. Cock roaches***those are the ones i hate for ever, and they are BIG

34. huge centipedes (I shutter when I think of some of the 6" ones I have seen!)***they range in my hate even before “33”

35. Everything is always dirty because of the dirt roads***never get really used to that neither, thanks god wifey does not work, a daily cleanup is the norm, and on the front sure more than once a day

36. The foul smell in the air because there are so many 2 cycle motos in the cities***one of the reasons why i hate cities, everywhere

37. Music that plays at deafening decibels***that’s sick, never get used to that

38. Vendors with their megaphones whom you can hear when they are 1/2 mile down the road***i even pulled my gun in the first years on early sunday mornings, ha ha, time calms down a bit, but i HATE them

happy weekend
Mike

what about women shopping in town with gigantic rollers in their hair? i could never do that !

ha ha ha,
that’s a good one to add Coronita.
they run with them all saturday long from early morning one, everywhere, doesn’t matter what they have to do that day, in the evening they take them out and tie the hair,
so they are ‘pretty’ for sunday, ha ha.

an other one:
what about the small business men, taking at closing hour all the money out of the cashier, looks thick and much in the pocket when stopping on the way home at the carwash/lottery banca/colmado aso, spending the exchange money and in the morning you are a client and they have no exchange.
Mike

• The barefoot Hatian children selling candy on the beach/malecon … it’s just sooo wrong.
  • The dramatic women :slight_smile: and all the gossip
  • The firm belief and adherence to “old wives tales” (going outside with wet hair does NOT make you sick, and drinking half cup of vegetable oil with a squeeze of honey and lime does NOT cure kidney stones!!)
  • The belief that lying is a perfectly acceptable way to interact with others
  • The fact that you actually have to go downtown and stand in line to pay your utility bills
  • That it takes 2 hours to get your car washed :slight_smile:

Sendy,
if i could stay only 2hrs at the bar waiting for the car to be ready i would change to an other car wash where i can spend 3 hrs out of house, ha ha
Mike

I never got used to:
The ants!
The large amount of traffic in SD. It sometimes took 35 minutes or more to go a short distance. It should have taken less than 5 minutes.
Two lane road in SD turned into 6 lane. (reason for traffic jams.
Propane tanks in car trunks. To fill up at propane station instead of gasoline.
Seeing burned buses or other vehicles just left on the highway. They got burned because they got rear ended in an accident and the propane tank blew up.
Motorconchos! Motorconchos! Motorconchos!
EVERY driver beeping thier car horn EVERY 15 seconds. I lived next to a private school and EVERY parent dropping off or picking up the kids beeped the horn EVERY time. ARGHH The kids went home for lunch too. So that meant 3 times a day 50 cars beeping! Plus, the street was clogged with traffic.
AHHH how can I forget the damned roosters! Why does everyone living in the middle of a city of 3 million people have a freekin’ rooster???!!!
People having no concept of time. A friend tells me he will pick me up for grocery shopping at 6 o’clock to take me grocery shopping. He might show up 3 days later a 6. LOL I got used to and liked “Dominican time” after a while.
Yjat’s enough for now. It sounds like complaints but in reality I got used to the “Dominican Way” after a while and I still have much more patience because of it all.
Ricketty old buses full to the max with people hanging off the outside to ride.
Shoeshine boys
Vendors selling anything imaginable at red lights.
Armed guards everywhere
Glass bottles on top of stone wall fences
Barbed wire on buildings for security
Only corn flakes for a choice of cereal. (Now there is more choice) I found and bought for much more money rasion bran for a change only ONCE. Ummm back to the ant issue. In the morning the box was full of ants. No wonder everyone ate corn flakes!

OOOPS I made a few typing mistakes on that post. It must have been the post dramatic stress syndrome from living in SD. LOL

I cannot get used to the garbage along the streets and vacant lots. Seems like its a free for all dumping ground. Seems like most of the garbage is things like plastic bags, water bottles, stryofoam containers, stuff that is recyclable in north america.
Its so sad to see such a beautiful place and garbage. :’(

On the garbage issue; there has been a lot of advances since the first time I was there in 1988. It still needs improvement but it is better.

People who ride with me when I am driving know that I do not allow anything to be thrown out of the car. I have actually stopped when somebody throws something out, back up, and ask them to please pick up their litter. Hey, ya gotta start at square 1 when you feel there needs to be a change.

My wife used to throw things out and now she also will not permit littering from our car. When I was young, had I never been to told to not litter I am sure I would have littered because it is the easier softer way.

[quote=@jahaira]On the garbage issue; there has been a lot of advances since the first time I was there in 1988. It still needs improvement but it is better.

People who ride with me when I am driving know that I do not allow anything to be thrown out of the car. I have actually stopped when somebody throws something out, back up, and ask them to please pick up their litter. Hey, ya gotta start at square 1 when you feel there needs to be a change.

My wife used to throw things out and now she also will not permit littering from our car. When I was young, had I never been to told to not litter I am sure I would have littered because it is the easier softer way.[/quote]

nothing here but Spam and not in a can, banned from forums

Pretty good posts to remind us how lucky we are here in Canada and the US.
A great reminder to treat Dominicans with respect because they survive in such circumstances. :wink:
Remember when we visit to please take extra stuff for the children. :sunglasses:

[quote=@spunky]
Remember when we visit to please take extra stuff for the children. 8-)[/quote]

Spunky, kill 2 birds, support the kids and meet some Debbies members at the Fiesta! Ottawa is beautiful in September!

j. :sunglasses:

Thanks J. Won’t be the same but our cheque will have to be our stand-in.
Ottawa sure is beautiful in September!

Spunky - great advice and attitude. I just left Puerto Plata last week after my first visit and I just cried when I left as I just feel so bad that some people are just given such a hard life…we are blessed in so many ways… I travelled to Jamaica from 1999-2010 so I have experienced the difficulties and challenges of third world but this trip just hurt my heart so much… I try to help where I can. If each one of us would just help one person in a third world country - how we could change the world :0)

Hey rankine68, great attitude, too!
Check out the “Helping Children” topics for some ideas on how to make their world better and feel free to contact any BTBCF suporter for more info.