Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Tips: Bring Change & careful at DR Airport

A new traveller returning from Punta Cana on Jan 18, 2006- we stayed at the Melia. Beautiful resort! No change though so bring lots of small bills. When leaving Punta Cana, airport security confiscated our camera batteries which included rechargables as well as standard AA. All were brand new still in sealed packages. All batteries which were loose in the camera case were not taken.

Does anyone know why they take batteries?

Sorry to hear about that. Were your loose batteries in your carry-on or your checked luggage?

For Canadian Carriers, the following Transport Canada regulations apply for batteries.

Consumer electronic devices: Passengers may bring consumer electronic devices (watches, calculating machines, cameras, cellular phones, laptop computers, camcorders, etc.) containing lithium or lithium ion cells or batteries when carried for personal use. Spare batteries must be individually protected so as to prevent short circuits and carried in carry-on baggage only. In addition, each spare battery must not exceed the following quantities:

* for lithium metal or lithium alloy batteries, a lithium content of not more than 2 grams; or
* for lithium ion batteries, an aggregate equivalent lithium content of not more than 8 grams.

Lithium ion batteries with an aggregate equivalent lithium content of more than 8 grams but not more than 25 grams may be carried in carry-on baggage if they are individually protected so as to prevent short circuits and are limited to two spare batteries per person.

Not certain as to how the regs. are applied at the DR end.

In my opinion, they took the new ones because they could. The story may have changed if you had poltely asked to see their boss:

Yo quiero hablar con su supervisor, por favor.

Maybe not, but worth a try. However, maybe not worth fussing about. Your call.

Tom

The batteries were in our carry on case. The reasons as well as intent of airport security taking the batteries is of course questionable especially when leaving all the single batteries. Due to the off flavor left when ending our holiday, I want to believe someone who needed them more than I did will make good use. Batteries… who knew! Perhaps by sharing, others will make better choices than I when packing carry on.

They take batteries unGer the guise of 9/11 security measures, when in fact the bastards only need them for their own ghetto blasters and electronic devices. Another SCAM!

Yo quiero hablar con su supervisor, por favor ahora!

Packem in your checked luggage!

Dumb question, but

I have a sony mp3 player, got it for xmas, it has it’s own battery which is re-chargable, it’s sort of like an ipod but without the hickups, do you think I’ll get this confiscated if I take it?

I have one also, never been taken,

Sound like a scam to me. Most times security has asked to see that the electronic device I have with me works so you need batteries.

They also took my spare batteries when leaving the DR last year…I think she just wanted them, as they were placed in her pocket! However, my wife had the same experience flying from Vancouver to Ottawa 2 years ago!

This year, they get placed in the checked luggage.

stressed - your mp3 player will be fine :slight_smile:

Hi guys leaving for the Panama Canal in 13 days… can’t wait.
I’m bringing one small digital for underwater and my regular digital. Have 1 battery for each camera + 1 spare… if they take those, I’m scr*ed.