Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Transportation in Dominican Republic

Once you are in Dominican Republic what kind of transportation do you use if you like to explore around. Do you rent a car or use hotel tours or private driver. Usually when I go to other countries I like to use taxi or have private driver with a car. Once I know country well I do rent a car but I drive very carefully.

Hmmm, sometimes I use private taxi, seldom use the included transfers and a lot of times my friends pick me up at the airport :slight_smile:

We have travelled by taxi, rental car and, today we caught a bus from Puerto Plata to Santiago… all have been wonderful. With the rental car, we did NOT go towards Puerto Plata but away from it out into the country to visit friends.

We have been to this area 14 times so, have a bit of comfort level in our abilities to get out and about.

Is taxi expensive? Is driving safe in Dominican Republic? How is taxi price comparing to rent a car?

Driving here unless you have been here many times is VERY dangerous and expensive. You must get the full insurance package with the rental as your home insurance and Credit card insurance is useless here. Also you need to have the insurance include “casa de conductore”. If you are in a serious accident everyone goes to jail until they can figure out how the accident is your (the gringo’s) fault and how much you will have go pay (lots of $$$$$). With casa de conductore you get sent to a hotel in Santo domingo or Santiago (2* at best) rather than jail. The time in jail can be a couple of days if the accident occurs on the weekend. There are very few traffic laws that are enforced or followed by the local drivers. Red lights and traffic signs are suggestions and one way means you can drive only in one direction at a time. At night many motos and cars for that matter have no lights that function. Best advice use a taxi or local transportation.

When you compare the cost of the rental and insurance it usually is cheaper to hire a taxi.

Bog K

Taxis in the Punta Cana area seem to be expensive but so is their gas. The taxi rates are regulated.

I am comfortable driving around the areas in and around Bavaro as I have done so many times… however, I would never do it once the sun goes down.

[quote=@bobk]Driving here unless you have been here many times is VERY dangerous and expensive. You must get the full insurance package with the rental as your home insurance and Credit card insurance is useless here. Also you need to have the insurance include “casa de conductore”. If you are in a serious accident everyone goes to jail until they can figure out how the accident is your (the gringo’s) fault and how much you will have go pay (lots of $$$$$). With casa de conductore you get sent to a hotel in Santo domingo or Santiago (2* at best) rather than jail. The time in jail can be a couple of days if the accident occurs on the weekend. There are very few traffic laws that are enforced or followed by the local drivers. Red lights and traffic signs are suggestions and one way means you can drive only in one direction at a time. At night many motos and cars for that matter have no lights that function. Best advice use a taxi or local transportation.

When you compare the cost of the rental and insurance it usually is cheaper to hire a taxi.

Bog K[/quote]

Thank you very much for your insight explanation and that is same as well form my experience. Usually when I visit foreign country I try not to rent a car unless I know country very well after a few visits. For me traveling to Caribbean countries many times I found out that the best option is to rent private driver “particular” and the safest way to go around. I would use bus as well when possible. I believe like you mentioned that people have to know what can happen in the case of the accident. Thank you for great explanation!

You are welcome.

bobk