Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Traveling from Santiago to Puerto Plata

Hello all!  I am traveling to the DR in a few weeks and I will be traveling solo.  I am a female in my late 20’s and will be flying in to Santiago at midnight with hopes of getting to Puerto Plata (specifically Puerto Plata Village Resort) the same night I arrive.  Does anyone have any transportation suggestions for that time of night which would be safe and affordable? 

Santiago probably wasn’t your best choice for airports unless you got a huge difference in air fare. It is a bit of a hike and the fare will be about $100.
I would try Martin Espinal at Isaira Tours www.isairatours.com. He has a very good reputation and I’ve not seen a bad review on this forum. We have used him for tours twice with very good results. He also speaks good English.
As for Puerto Plata Village, we would have returned again this year but couldn’t get a booking. We’re currently at Lifestyle Tropical and having a good time.

Spam deleted

Got to agree with Bob here (as I normally do) and get in touch with Martin and arrange a taxi pick up from the airport, if it were earlier in the day and you speak reasonable Spanish you could have gone into town and got a bus to PP then a taxi to hotel but at that time of night it just isn’t worth the risk. I have know Martin over ten years and he really tries hard to help.

Cheers Amandalou :-*

[quote=@amanda]… but at that time of night it just isn’t worth the risk. I have know Martin over ten years and he really tries hard to help.

Cheers Amandalou :-*[/quote]
I probably haven’t known him that long. Six or seven years would be my best guess. He runs a first class operation and I know I gave him five or six referrals during the two weeks we were at Lifestyle Tropical. I don’t know if they followed up or not, but they were looking for a tour and wanted someone reliable. Martin was my first choice.

I agree with Amandalou & BFC …Martin Espinal & Isaira Tours is top-notch !! We use him when on the North Coast.

We, our clients and friends all use Elias. He is one of the good guys, speaks perfect English, has a newer van and will take you anywhere. He will pick you up at Santiago at any time and get you to your resort ($100). In fact my wife and girlfriend are using him for a all day shopping trip to Santiago today. Here is his contact information and his cell is the best way to get him.
taxieliasdr@hotmail.com
809-571-3602
809-842-5557 (cell phone)

bobk