Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

U.S. Dollars To Cuba

Terry & Jack: thanks for posting that. I was looking for the rules & regs. We’ve had many people ask us to save them a trip to exchange US dollars as well as CDN loonies/toonies & $5 bills!! I guess people richer than I are travelling now to Cuba. If a Cuban asked me to change 5 US - I’d give him 4 CUCs. If it was 10 loonies, I’d give him 9 (but not this year!). I seriously don’t mind doing it and my US stash is there for a last resort. Haven’t had to give them out yet, but IT IS getting harder to find a cadeca going the resort route. And banks remind of the way Canada used to work when the banks would open at 10 AM and close 3 PM Monday to Friday. Are you guys old enough to remember that? Sorta like needing the liquor permit to go into a beer or liquor outlet - OMG - now you guys will know how old I really am.

Actually, I’m waaaay older than that. Terry, on the other hand is just a youngster. :slight_smile:

I think there may be some of the resorts that don’t let their stff use the cadeca at the resort, and sometimes someone may ask a tourist to exchange some US dollars for them, in the hope of getting better than the 87 centavos per dollar they would get at the bank or cadeca.

I guess in some ways that can be a win-win for the tourist and the Cuban, 'cause they can split the difference.

[quote=@sund0g] Sorta like needing the liquor permit to go into a beer or liquor outlet - OMG - now you guys will know how old I really am.[/quote]And filling out the little card at the LCBO and having the staff go into the back room to get your bottle for you. 

I’m not old, I just lied about my age when I went to the LCBO.

Life is too short to drink cheap rum.

Is the Airport duty free the best place to buy rum?

I always bring home a couple hundred CUC. Then I need to go back so I can spend it.

[quote=@cubajack]I think it would be accurate to say that any of the currencies listed on the Banco Central De Cuba website could be exchanged, by tourists or by Cubans. As long as they are not coins.
[/quote]Bullseye.

10 foreign currencies in total are accepted, including US Dollars.

Cheers,
Terry

“… Is the Airport duty free the best place to buy rum?..”

Personally I never bother buying Duty Free booze…

1.) The really interesting/exotic rums that aren’t exported to Canada are rarely available at the Airport. If you do get lucky and find something you can’t depend on it being there next time. They’re selling countless bottles of Havana Club 7 year, that doesn’t interest me.

2.) I pack my rum into my checked luggage so there’s zero hassle at security.

3.) There’s no sales tax in Cuba so there’s no price advantage to Duty Free. In fact, sometimes I see Duty Free booze for way more money than my local booze store in Havana.

If you’re just looking to buy some inexpensive “normal” rum then Duty Free is fine. The Duty Free bag to seal it in costs an additional 1 CUC. Be sure you get the receipt otherwise it could be confiscated at your next destination if you have a connection.

Different strokes…

Cheers,
Terry

My first tips - Wheel chair porter from plane to Bus $ 5.00 - bus driver $ 2.00 - porter at hotel $ 3.00 - drinks / buffet $ 1.00 to $ 3.00

[quote=@bigjohn][quote=@sund0g] Sorta like needing the liquor permit to go into a beer or liquor outlet - OMG - now you guys will know how old I really am.[/quote]And filling out the little card at the LCBO and having the staff go into the back room to get your bottle for you. 

I’m not old, I just lied about my age when I went to the LCBO.

Life is too short to drink cheap rum.

Is the Airport duty free the best place to buy rum?

I always bring home a couple hundred CUC. Then I need to go back so I can spend it.
[/quote]

Big John, I had 2 older brothers (not that much older than me) and they both had their permits (given to them by a kind stranger) and they each knew where the other had hidden his. And I remember filling out the form and clerk going to the back and then putting it in a brown bag! Years before photo ID. And Terry is SO RIGHT about duty free in Cuba. When we see what we want in town or village, we buy it. Because you will never find it at the airport.

But on topic, I just went through our spending money and the US is coming with us. I know that we have CUCs then we usually take, and I’ll use them (if I can keep them!!). When we return, hope to have our usual 15-20 CUCs. Ya never know - Castro might decide to change currencies before we go back!