Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

UK Channel 4 TV 2.12.08, did u watch?

Any Brits out there watch the TV prog tonight about ladies going to the DR for sex? We here on Debbies were asked for info to make this programme, I know because I spoke to them following a thread here. It wasn’t wonderful and just told the stories of a couple of different ladies from the UK who have fallen in love with guys from animation… you know the rest of the story. I was watching the program to see the background to see if I knew the locations, Playa Dorada, a couple of the hotels, Hemmingways and also Sosua. Think you can catch it again on the web site but I don’t know for sure.

Cheers Amandalou :-*

I watched it. Plenty of typical Sankie behaviour that will come as no surprise to regular visitors of this website. Hopefully it will raise awareness to people who don’t frequent this forum and are planning a trip to the D.R.

One of the hotels featured was Fun Royale/ Tropical, what was the other one?

Was anyone in the D.R at the time of the programme being filmed?

I never noticed the thread on here with them asking for information.

what was the name of the program?

I watched about half of the programme before I fell asleep. It made me feel quite annoyed as I travel with a female friend to the DR and we are both in our 50’s. However, we certainly do not go to find male “friendship”. We go because we love the country, the people, the weather and it is fantastic value for money.

I thought the women I saw featured were rather sad. I think they were aware that they were being “played” but accepted it as they were enjoying the attention. One woman aged 67, said she had had her heart broken by a young Dominican man but she was back looking for another one.

I just hope all my friends and family will not think that this is the reason I keep returning to the DR!

[quote=@shaunandeb]what was the name of the program?
[/quote]

Man Hunters: Sex Trips For Girls.

[quote=@lfcsja]I watched it. Plenty of typical Sankie behaviour that will come as no surprise to regular visitors of this website. Hopefully it will raise awareness to people who don’t frequent this forum and are planning a trip to the D.R.

One of the hotels featured was Fun Royale/ Tropical, what was the other one?

Was anyone in the D.R at the time of the programme being filmed?

I never noticed the thread on here with them asking for information.[/quote]

I think both ladies mainly featured were staying at the Fun’s as they were talking to each other a couple of times, the other girl featured was staying in Sosua. What amused me was the one going out with the man from animation in the hotel knowing he can’t talk to her etc there staying at the same hotel, has no one told her he can stay with her at any other hotel with no problem? Staff are just not allowed to fraternise with the guests in their hotel.

The Threads were from Jessicazigzag and were on the 26th of March (page 11 at the mo) and got blocked quickly as the mods weren’t sure if it was legitamate. I did call Jessica at the time to offer advice and we had a lovely talk about what she was hoping to do within the program.

Cheers Amandalou :-*

I hope they plan a sequel called Women Hunters: Sex Trips For Boys.

Sex tourists come in both genders. :stuck_out_tongue:

crazy stuff! I am in the usa and would be intrested in seeing the program so if anyone knows where it is on the net please post

On a side note I had trouble convinceing friends of our to visit the DR because they heard it was over run with prostitution. My experience is only with the South coast and I have only been in “town” on a limited basis and I am a bit nieve and not looking for this sort of thing so I didn’t notice anything. I am sure it is around, but it is all over Atlantic City and NYC so I really thought it was crazy to not want to visit a place because of it. I hope this does not paint the DR in a negative light…Skanks are everywhere if you want to find them

This is the write up for it and it seems there’s going to be a Part Two coming:

Given that the premise of this grimy documentary is so straightforward - older British women are getting in on sex tourism in the Dominican Republic - it could have been comprehensively told in 15 minutes. But with age comes stamina, so the stories of Barbara, 67, and her 30-year-old beau, and Joanne (54) and Spaghetti (34) are told in distasteful, tragic detail in the first of two parts. Proof that there’s no fool like an old fool and love makes idiots out of us all.

The second part of the documentary is apparently filmed in Turkey. No doubt it will just be a re-run of last night’s show but with different faces.

I have now watched the whole programme. It was a very shallow, ill-researched piece IMHO. It touched vaguely on the fact that these men are just waiting for the next plane load of lonely single women to touch down but made no mention of the perils of such liasons. For example, AIDS or STD’s did not feature at all.

The 67 year old lady in particular seemed incredibly naive and vunerable. She said she was single and so was her “boyfriend” and they were hurting no-one. True but she had said earlier in the show that she had had her heart broken once. It seemed to be she was heading for another fall.

My fear is that all single women of a certain age heading to the Dominican Republic will be tarred with the same brush. They only actually found 2 Brits admitting to being “sex tourists” and one Canadian girl who was younger and was being preyed upon by a Dominican gigolo.

Sad commentary on our race…

As pointed out, the program probably should have included the dangers of such liaisons such as STD’s as well as financial…

We met a lady who had fallen for one of the animation guys years earlier, married him and after getting him a visa to the UK, he disappeared shortly afterward. It was an expensive lesson to learn …

[quote=@remote]I hope they plan a sequel called Women Hunters: Sex Trips For Boys.

Sex tourists come in both genders. :P[/quote]

They did something very similar to what you suggested around this time last year. They filmed at a hotel on Isla Margarita.

What did Jessica hope to do with the show? Do you think the programme achieved what she wanted?

I agree with the other posts saying that the risk of STI’s should have been mentioned. I would also have liked to have seen how “Spaghetti” and “Luis” behaved with other female tourists, once their “girlfriends” had returned home.

[/quote]
I would also have liked to have seen how "Spaghetti" and "Luis" behaved with other female tourists, once their "girlfriends" had returned home. [/quote]

LOL - I think we all KNOW the answer to that!

“Spaghetti” and “Louis” probably just forgot about these women and are or were looking for new ladies to have sex with. Probably as soon as the bus picked up these women they were on the prowl for another “score” Just my opinion of course

I have been going down to the Dominican Republic for about 10 years now, and have met about 4 Spaghetti’s and 6 louis…Hard to figure out who’s who. Anyone else meet them…LOL They all have the same names no matter what resort you go too…

every resort has a Spaghetti’, a chocolate, a Louis, a king kong, hitman,spideyman and the like.

So called ladies do the resorts looking for pleasure %^$%$, while the guys hit the “carwash”

The worlds two oldest professions

[quote=@dot][/quote]
I would also have liked to have seen how "Spaghetti" and "Luis" behaved with other female tourists, once their "girlfriends" had returned home. [/quote]

LOL - I think we all KNOW the answer to that![/quote]

We certainly do.

Ahh, so that’s what the carwash is. I remember going on the Outback Safari and the guide telling a few people (at the front of the jeep) a story about the “carwash.” I missed the start of the story, so I didn’t have a clue what he was talking about, but the people who heard the story were hysterical with laughter.

[quote=@lfcsja][quote=@hlywud]

So called ladies do the resorts looking for pleasure %^$%$, while the guys hit the "carwash"

The worlds two oldest professions
[/quote]

Ahh, so that’s what the carwash is. I remember going on the Outback Safari and the guide telling a few people (at the front of the jeep) a story about the “carwash.” I missed the start of the story, so I didn’t have a clue what he was talking about, but the people who heard the story were hysterical with laughter. [/quote]
A bit more than that. See Gregg’s description at http://debsdrtravels.proboards47.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=PC&thread=9369&page=1 (reply #7)