Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

USA3000 Luggage limits - 22lb? 50lb?

My husband and I are flying out of Detroit this week for a glorious week in Punta Cana, and we are very confused about luggage limits on our flight.

We booked an Apple Vacation to the Iberostar Bavaro through our local travel agent here in SW Ontario. She told us that we are only allowed to check in one bag each, with a weight limit of 22lbs. But USA3000’s website states that you are allowed 50lb for the first bag (free). We wondered if the limit is less for charter flights so we called the airline (twice) to confirm this and the answer is the same - 50lbs on all flights, charter or not.

We tried to clarify this with our travel agent again but she still insists that it’s still 22lbs per checked bag, 1 bag per person. We are not sure where she is getting this - could she be using information meant for Canadian carriers/charters?

So - Has anyone here flown USA3000 with Apple Vacations out of Detroit (or anywhere) and heard of this 22lb limit? Is our travel agent out to lunch? Are we?? ???

We are not bringing a whole lot of stuff with us, but we would hate to leave things behind trying to stay under 22lbs only to find we could have brought them after all!

Thanks for your help!

Are you sure she didn’t mean 22 kg?
The average suitcase weighs about 10-12 lbs empty. A limit of 22 lbs wouldn’t allow much clothing. That’s a ridiculous limit. ::slight_smile:

edit: 22 kg is suspiciously close to 50 lbs …

from their website

http://www.usa3000.com/luggage.htm

“Each ticketed USA3000 passenger may check, free of charge, one (1) bag weighing no more than 50 lbs and measuring 62 linear inches or less (length + width + height) per flight segment. Any additional checked bag or item not included in the “Additional Baggage Charges” listing below will be accepted for a charge of $25.00 per bag.
Any bag weighing over 50 lbs will be accepted for carriage for an additional charge of $25.00, provided it does not exceed 70 lbs.”

[b]from apple Vacations

http://www.applevacations.com/showTravelInfo.do?command=showGroupFaq&id=1#100129
[/b]

Q: What is the baggage allowance for air travel?
A: Most airlines allow one bag (under 50 pounds) for each paying passenger. Check your airlines website for specific allowances. Carry-on baggage is limited to one bag per person. The dimensions of the carry-on cannot exceed 45" linear. Excess or oversized baggage may be denied at check-in. If accepted, there will be additional charges.

Thanks for the replies!

Yes, that is a ridiculous limit - My empty suitcase is 11 lbs so I was trying to budget how many pairs of shoes to take (not an easy task!)

We do think she means lbs - she gave us a printed instruction sheet which states this limit. She also made a point of mentioning to us that last year it used to be 44lbs per person for 2 bags, but now it’s one bag at 22lbs (rising cost of fuel).

We checked both USA3000 and Apple’s websites and read up on their luggage policy, so we are pretty sure that she is wrong. We are just not sure why she keeps giving us that number.

But just to be on the safe side, we thought it would be a good idea to ask for some additional input before we went ahead and ignored her instructions. :wink:

If it truly is 22 lbs, you’re going to have to chuck that 11 lb suitcase in favour of a duffel bag. Shoes? At that weight limit, all you’ll have is the ones you wear down. Heck, a t-shirt weighs in at about 1/2 lb and a pair of men’s pants are 2 lbs or better …

Why not try their 800 number listed on their website?

Henbit;
I just flew USA3000 last month leaving from Detroit MI going to Punta Cana DR direct. It is definitely 50lbs not 22. I can’t imagine it would matter who your trip was booked through…it’s USA3000’s baggage limits that matters…I would think anyhow.

[quote=@henbit]But just to be on the safe side, we thought it would be a good idea to ask for some additional input before we went ahead and ignored her instructions. :wink:
[/quote]

And next time find a new agent who knows which side is up.

Let us all know how you make out with your 50 lbs. please

The 50 lbs is 22.6 kilograms. I guess from here is the confusion.
In most of the flights the 50 lbs or 22 kg is listed the maximum, above that your luggage might be refused or you have to pay for extra weight, with a lots of extra $$$$$s.
Some companies are limiting the carry on baggage’s weight also. Some goes for dimension only…