Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Using Cdn $$ and not CUC

Hi
Reading on another website, a couple people said that they have used their Cdn $$ while in Cuba and did not exchange their money for CUC’s. Has anyone heard of this before and if so, how would that compare money wise as opposed to changing your money. I have never heard that before and trying to find out before we leave tomorrow.
Stephanie :slight_smile:

Never heard it before either. I’d be sure to check how credible the information is.

I have never heard of or seen it before, we do not do organized tours so I don’t know if that was what they were talking about

[quote=@martymonty]Hi
Reading on another website, a couple people said that they have used their Cdn $$ while in Cuba and did not exchange their money for CUC’s. Has anyone heard of this before and if so, how would that compare money wise as opposed to changing your money. I have never heard that before and trying to find out before we leave tomorrow.
Stephanie :)[/quote]

I’ve never heard of that either and would find it almost impossible to buy anything, anywhere in Cuba with Canadian cash. If you could provide a link, it would be interesting to read.

Hi Martymonty,
You can use loonies and toonies to buy beer and use Cdn bills at the airports for stuff when you land. I haven’t seen anyone take any Canadian coins anywhere else; just too hard to cash them in. Canadian bills might be accepted at savvy flea markets but count on a hefty “local” exchange fee.
On a better note … the 0.50 CUC’s/ 50 Centavos coins work as well as 1CUC’s for most tipping. I’ve even used 25 Centavo coins for little things. Still worth, what, 10 Cuban Pesos each. Three bus round trips to Cardenas. 10 cans of beer at a local cantina.
When at a bar, some folks tip a couple of CUC’s at the end or during the service; I found that I get good service with a 50 Centavo tip for each drink. Staff switch tables and servers really like getting something each time. Jeeze, it’s only 50 cents US.

[quote=@martymonty]Hi
Reading on another website, a couple people said that they have used their Cdn $$ while in Cuba and did not exchange their money for CUC’s. [/quote]Well, if they got home they exchanged some of their Canadian money…airport tax is 25 CUC, can’t be paid in Canadian dollars. :smiley:

MartyMonty:
Yes, remember you need 50CUC to get both of you out of the country.