Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Vacation prices

I’ve been watching prices since the new year and I’ve noticed the trend this year seems to be that prices are changing on Tuesdays (in Ontario). I’ve also noticed that the best pricing seems to be 6-8 weeks ahead of the traveling date. True last minute (1 week ahead or so) is running more expensive and sometimes isn’t avaiable at all. This may be because of the winter we’re having. I booked our next vaca 7 weeks ahead and as it sits right now, it is $60ea more than we paid.

The other thing I’ve noticed is that tour companies have varying taxes. I’ve noticed that Hola Sun seems to have the cheapest taxes at $180 and Air Can and TMR Vacations have the highest tax at $345/$315 (again, from Ontario). TMR seems to show the best pricing but when you factor in the taxes, ends up being more expensive. I really wish they would hurry up and combine the tax and trip prices. I believe that Quebec and other provinces have already done so.

Anyone else have similar or different experiences?

Wicked Wednesday it’s called in the Maritimes

I check prices everyday, on differnt sites. Prices have defn been higher overall this year so far from out this way anyways.

They have started to come down now. Have been some good prices even for the month of March which is usually high demand.

Haven’t seen great last minute deals either. Seems like within a 30 day window they seem to be better.

Hope for last min deals in April like they had last year with Sunwing outta Halifax when they were as low as $35 plus taxes to Varadero!

It has been a harsh winter it is actually snowing here right now temp -14 and they spring may be a little late coming this year. I for one certainly hope these high prices are a result of the weather.
With any luck once spring finally gets here there may be a few empty seats heading south. That might help drive the prices down a bit they do not like to run them planes half full.

[quote=@monctonguy]I check prices everyday, on differnt sites. Prices have defn been higher overall this year so far from out this way anyways.

They have started to come down now. Have been some good prices even for the month of March which is usually high demand.

Haven’t seen great last minute deals either. Seems like within a 30 day window they seem to be better.

Hope for last min deals in April like they had last year with Sunwing outta Halifax when they were as low as $35 plus taxes to Varadero![/quote]

I been watching them too on the daily. We were looking at a trip to CL for Mar 21. I watched it come down to $508 + $180tax. My wife wanted to wait and see if it would come down more. 2 days later it went up $150, then the next tuesday it went up again another $60. It’s come down to $618 now. I waited and watched a different week as well. 2 weeks later that came down to $518 + $180 tax, so I jumped on it.

I think prices are higher because of a few reasons; the hard winter and and more to come and more people are looking at traveling to somewhere warmer, the reduction in the value of the loonie, the higher price for gas (don’t get me started), and…because they can…lol

Would love to find the $35 deal, but, I don’t think they’ll ever be available to Cayo Largo.

[quote=@gefm] I waited and watched a different week as well. 2 weeks later that came down to $518 + $180 tax, so I jumped on it.

[/quote]

Sounds like a great price to me! Glad you snatched it!

So glad you are heading back to CL Geoff! And for a great price too!

Have a wonderful trip!

[quote=@gefm][quote=@monctonguy]I check prices everyday, on differnt sites. Prices have defn been higher overall this year so far from out this way anyways.

Hope for last min deals in April like they had last year with Sunwing outta Halifax when they were as low as $35 plus taxes to Varadero![/quote]I been watching them too on the daily. We were looking at a trip to CL for Mar 21. I watched it come down to $508 + $180tax. My wife wanted to wait and see if it would come down more. 2 days later it went up $150, then the next tuesday it went up again another $60. It’s come down to $618 now. I waited and watched a different week as well. 2 weeks later that came down to $518 + $180 tax, so I jumped on it.

I think prices are higher because of a few reasons; the hard winter and and more to come and more people are looking at traveling to somewhere warmer, the reduction in the value of the loonie, the higher price for gas (don’t get me started), and…because they can…lol

Would love to find the $35 deal, but, I don’t think they’ll ever be available to Cayo Largo.[/quote]

We were there for Christmas and we payed more than double that price and we were happy. Cayo Largo is beautiful. For us everything was perfect only we did not like jejenes little bugs from 6pm to 9pm so do not stay on the beach at that time. The best is to go into your room and get ready for dinner etc
Don’t forget to go to Playa Sirena and have that big lobster at restaurant there …

I’m happy with the price. I just wish we could still go to the Villa Coral. It was cheaper but for us it was perfectly fine. People were great, beach was not crowded, rooms were comfortable and the food was repetative but good.

Last time we went to CL, we stayed at the Villa Coral (stayed there twice and SCL once) we paid I think it was around $1150 all in. This trip is only a few hundred $'s more so I can’t really complain. Just that extra few hundred cuts into my cigar money…lol :smiley: