Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Varadero Airport Busy Times?

Hi

Here is another question for all of the experts out there. Being that I have never flown into or out of Varadero before, how busy is the airport? When are the busiest times? Morning, afternoon, or in the evening? Thanks.

Mietz

Hi Mietz,
I would assume Saturday/Sunday are the busiest days. For times it would be hard to say, but I would think middle of the day is least busy, with mornings and late afternoons/early evenings being busiest for both arrivals and departures.

Check this site for busy times over the past day/week/month

http://flightaware.com/live/airport/MUVR

[quote=@karmadoc]Hi Mietz,
I would assume Saturday/Sunday are the busiest days. For times it would be hard to say, but I would think middle of the day is least busy, with mornings and late afternoons/early evenings being busiest for both arrivals and departures.

Check this site for busy times over the past day/week/month

http://flightaware.com/live/airport/MUVR[/quote]

I’ve only been there once. We landed at about 11:30, along with 3 or 4 other planes. We were in line for customs for over an hour. One person fainted from the heat and the waiting. Not a great start to the vacation, but the rest of it was perfect.

Tom

Whaat day of the week was that, ottawatom? We land at noon on a Wednesday.

I’m starting to think every day is the busy day! We departed Varadero last Thursday morning. I assumed it would be less busy than our last trip which was a Saturday night, but when we arrived at 7:30 a.m., the lineups were to the back wall and people arriving after us could barely get in the door, then people were walking through the existing lines to get to their lines. It was slightly chaotic and hard to know for sure if you were in the right line. The Sunwing reps seemed to be the best at leading their people through the crowd to the right place.

I’ve never seen it not busy. Even if you find a time you think it won’t be busy, it will just take one plane with 150-200 passengers being delayed to cause the airport to be busy when you flight gets there/departs. It is not a huge airport with only 3 main gates I think and they pump a lot of people through there during the winter months.

I believe it was on off-day, Tuesday or Thursday.

Tom

Maybe with all the new hotels and construction on the peninsula the airport will be expanded some day? Cancun airport used to be very similar, but was rebuilt some time in the 90s to include more gates, seating, better shops, at least one full service restaurant etc.