Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Varadero - Havana

Hi, this is our first visit to Cuba, we will be staying at the sandals royal hicacos (Mar 23-30). We of course would like to at least do a day visit to Havana. From experience is it better to book an excusion , take the bus, hire a taxi? I have no interest in renting a car & driving. Im just not sure which is best, to get the most of a day visit.

For most, its a matter of preference. Some will recommend hiring a cab for the day and having him as your tour guide. You may get a more personal experience this way and a little more freedom to perhaps see what YOU want to see or go where you want to go.

On a tour bus, everything is based on a pre-set schedule, destinations etc.

I did a tour last fall, and while it was a tour we lucked out, as we were put in a van with only about 5 of us, so kinda got the best of both worlds.

Whatever you do, make sure you take some kind of a visit to Havana. It’s a great place with lots to see and do!

Thanks Monctonguy, we’ve been discussing it a likely will do the bus tour; we will be four touring together and I must admit that my wife & her brother aren’t very adventurist. They likely wouldn’t have much confidence with a hired taxi.

You said you did the bus tour in the fall, that is likely why you were a small group. We will be in high season and I expect the tour group to be larger, it will be what it will be, I guess.

Are you familiar with the Sandals Royal Hiacacos? Other than doing an adults all inclusive, we’re sort choose this resort based on reviews even if there were some negative ones. Its hard to choose a resort when they all look basically appealing.

If you’re interested, here is a map layout of the resort:

http://www.resortsmaps.com/map-SandalsRoyalHicacos-Varadero.html

My advice is to go with what YOU feel most comfortable with!

We consider ourselves experienced travelers but whenever we find ourselves in a new to us major city for the first time, we always seek out a bus tour. We’ve found that we get a good overview of what a city offers that might interest us at a later date and it’s an informative, stress free experience. Nothing beats having a knowledgable citizen explain the sights & highlights to you while you try to get a “feel” for the city’s layout.

Back in 1999, we booked the one day bus trip excursion to Havana with our resort tour rep. It was money well spent even if it was a bit more expensive than hiring a car & driver. Since then, we’ve done Havana by ourselves because we feel confident about doing so. Takes time and a few trips into Havana to appreciate what it has to offer.

[quote=@pwrca]
Are you familiar with the Sandals Royal Hiacacos? Other than doing an adults all inclusive, we’re sort choose this resort based on reviews even if there were some negative ones. Its hard to choose a resort when they all look basically appealing.[/quote]

I haven’t stayed there but a relative did and really enjoyed the stay. If we didn’t love Breezes Jibacoa so much and had to select a resort in Varadero, we’d go with Sandals or Paradisius. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. Hope you have a great vacation and Havana, especially Habana Vieja, is a must see.