Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Varadero Recommendation Please

We’ve been to Cuba 7 times, but always to places like Santa Lucia, Guardalavaca, etc and in March we’re considering our first trip to Varadero.

We obviously know what to expect in the way of food, anemeties, people, etc. We aren’t interested in staying at a place with all rooms in one building (E.g.: Tuxpan or Melia Marina) and some sort of bungalow arrangement or smaller building set up is a must, and we would prefer adults only or semi-adult only.

I know people here rave about places like Jibacoa, but Wifey would prefer to be right in Varadero to see how we like more off-resort activities.

So, I ask you, the experts, for your opinions.

Thanks in advance.

If you’re looking at staying in a bungalow, I would choose the Barcelo Solymar which is pretty much less than a five minute walk to town. Been there four times in the past and really enjoyed it. Also, looking into a future Cuba trip in Winter of 2014/2015 is a resort named Sol Palmeras which also has bungalows but is further down the peninsula. We always choose to stay in places that have either Oceanfront suites or bungalows. I think these are the only two hotels in Varadero that have bungalows.
Here are some map layouts:

http://www.resortsmaps.com/popup.html?maps/map-BarceloSolymarArenasBlancas-Varadero.gif

http://www.resortsmaps.com/popup.html?maps/map-SolPalmeras-1-Varadero.jpg

Yeah, I’m one of the “ravers” about Breezes Jibacoa ! 250 rooms in eighteen 2 story low rises with Gardenview, Poolview, or Oceanview and it is Adult only. Lots of “off Resort” stuff and only 50 minutes to Habana and an hour to Varadero area. Hooray for BJ !

Thanks for the recommendations.

Jibacoa is a place I’ve looked at online for several years, for several reasons, not the least of which is the number of returning guests you read about here and on other travel sites.

One of the reasons I’m seriously considering Varadero is great flight times scheduled for next year direct from Newfoundland, whereas in past years, to say they were bad is an understatement.

You might like to try Melia Las Antillas. Mrs. CJ and I haven’t been back there now for a couple of years, but we had made about 9 or 10 trips there over the past years. We only missed the last couple of years because we couldn’t get good flight times from Calgary. It seems to only be offered by Sunwing these days.
It is adult-only, has rooms in bungalows, as well as the main building. It isn’t right in town, but a short ride on the hop-on hop-off bus. The beach is one of the nicest parts of the Varadero beach.