Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Villas Jibacoa

Considering staying at the Villas Jibacoa early part of Jan. So many questions can anyone help?

Is there good snorkeling reef right off the beach?

I have previously read complaints about a rocky beach, does this mean rocks in the water so you need water shoes to get in?

Does the water get deep quickly or do you need to walk far before it gets deep?

Are the Jelly fish in such great numbers you can’t swim with out bumping in to one?

Do they serve the powered juice(like Tang), concentrated or real at the buffet and bars?

Any other relevant info for us to consider would be great.

[quote=@dh] Considering staying at the Villas Jibacoa early part of Jan. So many questions can anyone help?

Is there good snorkeling reef right off the beach?

I have previously read complaints about a rocky beach, does this mean rocks in the water so you need water shoes to get in?

Does the water get deep quickly or do you need to walk far before it gets deep?

Are the Jelly fish in such great numbers you can’t swim with out bumping in to one?

Do they serve the powered juice(like Tang), concentrated or real at the buffet and bars?

Any other relevant info for us to consider would be great.[/quote]

Yes, maybe, yes, sometimes, sometimes. ;D

Villas is a solid three star resort. If you want or need more amenities go to Breezes next door. The reef is very close to shore and can be accessed easily. There are places along the beach that have a sandy entry, and with care you wouldn’t need water shoes to swim. Jellyfish come and go, hard to predict. You might see none, you may be unlucky and see many. They sometimes serve something that would pass for Tang or equivalent, but I would say more often serve juice, not necessarily orange juice. Maybe guava or mango. Yum!

These pictures might give you an idea of the resort:

http://s11.beta.photobucket.com/user/eeeefarm/library/Cameleon%20Villas%20Jibacoa%20April%202012

And the snorkelling:

http://s11.beta.photobucket.com/user/eeeefarm/library/Cameleon%20Villas%20Jibacoa%20October%202011

I like your pictures. The renovated buildings rooms look like they quite large. Are the bungalows still in good shape. (mold free).
Saw some pictures of divers taken out in pedal boats, is this for real?
Some reports say the dive shop resort next door is shut down, but Villas Jibacoa dive shop is still up and running minus proper dive boats?
Not to fussy and think a might like it there as along as I can dive / snorkel and enjoy a few nice drinks and not get travelers revenge.

The bungalows are in reasonable shape, and kept clean. Mold might be an issue in some, certainly not all. Villas diving has never had a boat other than the pedal boats, to my knowledge. They go to various places on the reef that are relatively close. I have stayed at this hotel eight times (I think that is the right number, losing count) and have always enjoyed it. I’ve stayed at Breezes once, and it was fine, but I wouldn’t pay a big premium to go back. If you aren’t too fussy and can get along with friendly, basic accommodation, Villas is a good option, IMO.

Thanks, eeeefarm you are very knowledgeable with this place.
This place must be like 2nd home for you.

Would you try for the newer buildings or just stay with the bungalows. I like it quiet by my room at night so can get good night sleep and up early.
Don’t care for noisy neighbors staying up late partying. Usually asleep before 24:00.
Maybe there will be no choice as I would book with Nolitours.

We just returned from our first stay at the CVJ and I can honestly say that we liked the place. As eeeefarm mentioned you may find a little mold here and there but I didn’t see any in our room. What I did see in our room was a bit of flaking paint on the bathroom ceiling as well as a little in the bedroom. I couldn’t care less about that. Some others may hate to see this. The food was good enough albeit a little repetative. It wasn’t fancy but we always found enough to eat and it was always hot. Just not a lot of selection. If you can live with pork, chicken, beef, rice, and potatoes prepared in different ways every night, you should like the CVJ. When we were there, we had a special every night, which was usually roast pork, or a fish and once we had a roast turkey.

As far as the scuba goes…I did one dive and enjoyed it. The equipement is fairly decent but does have some age. Each dive is $20cuc, and there isn’t any extra for wet suit, weight belt, etc. I would recommend taking your own mask, snorkel and maybe fins. The masks looked a little too used for my liking. The dive I did, we went out in the paddle boat just out front of the resort. You could snorkel to where were dove, but if you scuba, you can drop down and swim through some interesting channels in the reef. We went to a depth of around 40ft.

I asked the one dive master, Chino, about the Portuguese MOW and he said that they can be a problem in January and February. According to Chino, they’re more of a problem for snorkeling than scuba as they’re at the surface. eeefarm can probably give you better info on that though.

[quote=@dh]Would you try for the newer buildings or just stay with the bungalows. I like it quiet by my room at night so can get good night sleep and up early.
Don’t care for noisy neighbors staying up late partying. Usually asleep before 24:00. [/quote]
I have not stayed in the renovated buildings. I like the bungalows, and I am also early to bed and early to rise. If you make a room request, ask to be located away from the entertainment. I see Villas now has a web page!

http://www.jibacoacuba.net/hotel_villasjibacoa.html

You can check out the map of the resort and decide where you would like to be located. They are usually accommodating if they are able. I like the rooms 1 - 10, but they are in high demand and also not quite as quiet when the hotel is busy, as it is a high traffic area. 11-15 and 16 - 20 are good choices in a quiet area. The back to back rooms e.g. 26/29, 34/37 etc. are a bit larger.

20 CUC is a great price for a dive. The reef sounds good and with 40’ depth this will make for a good long dive. Do you think they have any deeper dive sites nearby?

I will check out the map so when I check in I know where they are putting me.

Actually I’ve only once asked to be moved a couple of years ago at Club Amigo Holgin when I was booked into the barracks. It was a really…really bad room and it was a 14 day stay like this one will be.

Appreciating everyone’s input as this is really helpful.

Doesn’t hurt to email and indicate your preference. Saves everyone a lot of time if they get it right from the beginning. :slight_smile: Usually you get a reply that they will try their best but no promises. More often than not I get either what I asked for or reasonable facsimile.

Just booked this morning for Jan 12. Will take a better look at the map then send in a request and see what happens.

Have a great time! I think we’ve been there 4 or 5 times, in both winter and summer. It’s one of the friendliest places we’ve been in Cuba and if it weren’t for the risk of chilly weather on the north coast in January we would be joining you there. We prefer Santiago for the winter trip! The diving from the “ecological” boat, as they call it, is fine. This is a lovely reef and there is a lot to see. We also stayed once at the Breezes next door and the big boat took us to many of the same places the peddle boat did. Say hi to China from Brad and Theresa. He is a friend of ours. And if you get a chance to meet his lovely daughter Thalia or wife Yami, say hi to them as well. If you are decent to the folks at this resort they will reward you with the best service you will ever see in Cuba.

Theresa