Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Visiting Churchs in Havana

We’re traveling to Varadero soon, and my hubby, mother and another friend are going to tour Havana. My mother was wondering if it is required for ladies to have their shoulders & head covered when visiting the churchs, as it is in Rome.

I’ve only been to 2 churches in Havana, and both times I was just wearing typical tourist garb with no head covering, and my shoulders were bare, and no one seemed offended. We weren’t attending an actual service, but I don’t think it would make a difference.

To be on the safe side, you could carry a scarf in your purse, just in case.

No, it isn’t at all required to have heads or shoulders covered in churches in Cuba. Mind you, I found that many of the churches in Havana Vieja can be quite chilly inside, so while a shawl isn’t required for religious reasons, they may well appreciate it!
Some of the churches are absolutely beautiful. There is a small garden in the courtyard of one church that is dedicated to Mother Teresa which is an enjoyable visit.

Thank you both for your quick reply. I will advise mother.

As stated above, special coverings are absolutely not required.

Also, as Madrugada says there’s some lovely churches in Havana, especially considering “normal” religion has had a very difficult time for the last several decades…