Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

VOIP from Cuba

I was reading a question on another forum. And it was interesting that today no one over there had an answer. Their question was …[font color=“4f81bb”]I have been talking with my son while he is in Mexico through my Viber app on wifi. Has anyone used it from Cuba using wifi on your cell phone ?[/font]

My understanding is that VOIP is banned in Cuba. However, with the advent of more resorts offering wifi perhaps that will change. Whether the connection is good enough is another question. I missed my chance to try Fongo when I was at Iberostar Ensenachos last month, because I was having an issue hooking up to the wifi, a problem I solved too late (as I was waiting for the shuttle to the airport my last day!) so I didn’t get a chance to see if it would work.

Have Cubans often call me through skype from their home computers or laptops, and the sound is good except for the fact that sometimes there is an echo. I also have to wait 4 or 5 seconds after they finish talking before answering or they don’t hearthe first few words of what i have said.

I find that surprising, since most Cubans don’t have internet access from home. Do you get only sound, or is there video?

I know that Cubans can access Facebook and can chat through Facebook interface. There is a few new apps for phones that are interesting one is called WEchat and works very well so I would like to test next time I go to Cuba.

Sorry folks, I was mistaken when i said that Cubans called me through Skype. They called using VOIP.
The people that communicate with me have part-time internet available to them from friends/family that have an internet account at work.

years ago I had a friend who’s boyfriend worked at one of the IT schools and often we chatted that way

I am sure they can chat through Facebook chat as I saw when they do. But would be interesting if someone can test chat with new apps for iPhone and android phones WEchat and others.

[quote=@chispadetren]Sorry folks, I was mistaken when i said that Cubans called me through Skype. They called using VOIP… [/quote]Skype is a VOIP service…

Cheers,
Terry