Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Walk the Beach

In Cayo Largo we have the opportunity to walk the deserted pristine beaches for miles and miles. How many of you share the passion of walking on the beach?

I love it. Last time we walked in Cayo Largo on the beach from Playa Blanca hotel all the way to Sol Cayo Largo and back. We did that route at least 3 times during one week stay.

How about other parts of Cuba? Any good walking experience?

Just got back from Varadero, our first time in that area. Great beach for walking as evidenced by the constant stream of folks who were walking it. Reminded me of Bavaro beach in Punta Cana. We have taken walks along the beaches in Cayo Santa Maria and Cayo Coco. We enjoy them, but unfortunately the barefoot walking takes a toll on the little balancing muscles in our feet, so we can usually only put in one long walk a trip. We’ll usually go three to five resorts, distance-wise, before turning back. :frowning:

We like the walk from Playa Sirenas to the Sol Cayo Largo.
We also like to walk from the Sol to Punta Mal Tiempo a few times a visit, as well.
Last year we took a jeep to the eastern beaches, and walked Playa Tortuga in blessed solitude.

:smiley:

[quote=@gardengal][quote=@blixem][/quote]We like the walk from Playa Sirenas to the Sol Cayo Largo.
We also like to walk from the Sol to Punta Mal Tiempo a few times a visit, as well.
Last year we took a jeep to the eastern beaches, and walked Playa Tortuga in blessed solitude.

:D[/quote]That’s why I like to walk the eastern beaches as nature intended it to be… nudge nudge wink wink :wink:

I like hiking and walking so other parts of Cuba as well. Hiking mountains and El Yunque mountain in Baracoa … you can see video made as we were crossing river Rio Duaba and going to waterfalls in the area called cascade

Niquero has a nice beach - Si !!!

I have spent many hours walking beaches in Cuba. Cayo Santa Maria used to be paradise when Sol was the only hotel on the beach. Sadly, now it is crowded with hotels. Cayo Largo still offers the “desert island” experience, as it is relatively easy to find endless beach with no footprints but your own. I once walked east on the beach for two hours from Playa Blanca (back when it was Barcello and you could walk the beach to the east without detouring to avoid washouts). I finally turned around without coming to the end, considering that I had a two hour walk ahead of me to return to the hotel. :slight_smile: Whenever I am on Cayo Largo I generally do Playa Sirena to the resort at least once, and since I am habitually staying at Playa Blanca, it is a bit of a hike. I am happy to do it one way, but it’s nice to have the shuttle for whichever leg of the trip I prefer.

The beautiful beach at Ramon de Antilla

[img alt=" " src=“http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r133/bellagio123/Ramon%20de%20Antilla/Picture371.jpg” style=“max-width:100%;”]

This is the east end of Cayo Santa Maria. It was a great spot, very isolated and offered up fabulous beach hiking and great fishing. Years ago it was isolated enough that wild camping was no problem.

I think it’s being developed now though… what a shame…

Camp Blixem