Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Weather Links

Some ‘useful’ weather links for South coast (Santo Domingo)

HAMweather
http://www.hamweather.net/cgi-bin/hw3/hw3.cgi?config=&pass=&dpp=&forecast=zandh&config=&place=Santo+Domingo&state=&country=do

Weather Underground

As I now live in Santo Domingo - if there are any weather questions I am happy to answer if I can.

Planner,

The north coast will miss you.

I guess you will see more of Irene then we will here up north.

bobk

Batten down the hatches. I hope everyone keeps safe !!!

I’M SCHED TO FLY INTO SDQ THURS, AND STAY IN JUAN DOLIO FOR 5 DAYS.

1. GIVEN THE CURRENT WX SITUATION, SHOULD I EXPECT THE AIRPORT TO REMAIN OPEN?
  2. what is the general history of hotels, and how they tend to operate during periods of severe wx ;i e pwr, hot water, etc?
    the wife (dominicana), says it’ll be nothing but a little wind and rain, and that I’m a scaredy-cat. my contention is that, shes used to it. the last thing i want, is to be stranded in a developing country with no air, water, or god knows what else.
    any fb is appreciated.
    roll

Good question, but developing country or not, when Mother Nature wants to have her way…
That said, the hotels generally make out better than the surrounding area. My best guess is that the airport will get closed on Friday when the storm center passes by. Late Thursday you can expect significant airport delays. See http://www.myforecast.com/bin/airdelay.m?city=60152&metric=false&airportID=MDSD
Your trip timing turned out to be unfortunate. Friday will be windy and soggy at best. Any chances of changing your trip dates?

Thanks for the link, Bob. It gives weight to my op that I should cancel my flight. Just waiting for AA to issue an advisory, so that I can effect a ticket change without penalty. according to the blogs I’ve seen Isaac has San Pedro, and SDQ in his crosshairs. The missus, however, still insists that there’ll be poco wind and rain. I question what news channel she may be watching. She’s none too happy, as she’d gotten her hair and nails done, and suitcase packed; but I’m ok with rescheduling 2-3 weeks down the road, rather than hang in a hotel the bulk of my trip w/o hot water, air, & tv
Roll

As of 8 am, American Airlines flights are still showing ‘on time’ out of New York and Miami. It would be interesting to find out how all this works out for you. I know every time will be different, but I hope you can find the time to post about your hurricane ‘experiences’ when you get back home.