Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

We're back!

Thanks, everyone for all the info. from your postings. We had a great time and didn’t want it to end. A 10-day trip would be ideal. The resort was fabulous . . . like everyone said, the staff was wonderful, the grounds, pool, restaurants, etc. very well maintained. We loved that the beach was pretty close to the pool and restaurants. Great view all the time. The room was pretty standard, but had what we needed. Thanks for telling us about taking extra hangars and kleenex. There was ample soap and shampoo, but we did take our own. The food was okay - lots of choices and typical AI stuff, but the salad and dessert bars tended to be the same old thing. LOTS of walking, especially if you want to go up to the lobbies for booking tours, use the internet, etc. But that was okay - got some needed exercise. Didn’t make it in to Panama City to shop, but did take the local bus to Penonome ($1.50) and walked around the local shops and market. Cheap, cheap stuff! 3-piece bikinis for my teenage daughters for $5.99, cover ups for $4.99! A worthwhile experience. The only tour we did was the Jungle Boat tour - a very nice day out. On the resort we rented a jet ski, went to a few shows at night, and really enjoyed a couple of musicians play guitar and sing from 7:00 to 11:00 p.m. Great variety of music in their repetoire! Would definitely go back someday!

Not surprised that you had a great time. That is a great resort and country. We’re hoping to make it back there…perhaps for our winter vacation. Welcome back to reality Taballen.

Bebbie

Wow, sounds like you had an amazing time. Thanks for all the info. I was going to go shopping tomorrow for swim stuff but I guess we’ll wait til we get there!
I was wondering about the Jungle tour. Was there alot of walking involved? I’m travelling with an 8 year old and a 2 year old. My oldest is fine with hiking but I don’t want to have to carry the little one too much. I was hoping that we could do a tour as a family otherwise either my husband or I would have to stay behind with Maddie.
Thanks,
J

The Jungle Boat Tour was pretty good for adults, but not suitable for a toddler. Even your 8 year old may find it an especially long day and may lose interest. The ride from the hotel to the boat area is over an hour, then another boat ride to the stationary boat. From this “houseboat” you get to take out kayaks or canoes, or go fishing with a guide, or go exploring with a guide on another boat. All of this is pretty good if your 8 year old is interested in water and nature. You also get to go exploring in the “jungle boat” to see some of the big ships crossing the canal, and find some wild life. We were very lucky to find a family of monkeys who entertained us for about 20 minutes. Then it’s the trip back - we left the hotel at 8:00 a.m., and returned about 5:45 p.m.

Since you have a family of four, I recommend taking a taxi to Penonome - definitely more comfortable, and should cost you between $12.00 to $15.00 each way. The bus was okay except that they pack in as many as could fit, and then a few more! Have a great time!

For those of us who have been…you wouldn’t believe how many people they try to pack into those vans. When you think it’s full to the gill…they somehow will squeeze another one in. Unbelievable. An experience that is for sure.

Oh- let me tell you. In Oct of 2003 my WHOLE family came to Panama, all 11 of us. Some of our group had never been so we decided to rent a van and take them to some of the highlights then end up at the resort. Not only did we fit my whole family in the van but also our friends that we stay with and their kids. They had a small car too but I think at one time we had squeezed 14 or 15 people in this little van. It was crazy but definately something that we always will remember and smile about.

V.

Just a tad too many people in a van for me. :wink:

Easier to accept when you are family or friends. :smiley:

Let’s say after that…CLOSE family and friends.