Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Westjet - No Charge for Second Checked If :::

It is for humanitarian aid.

You need to get prior approval through a letter from the charity. Send an email request with copies of your charity letter to WestJet and they will respond based on the weight load for that flight. You may be asked to leave the charitable package at the airport for pick-up but the charity will meet your flight most times. Bring extra copies of your documentation.

Humanitarian aid is not presents to give out. It is meant to go to the needy, institutions, hospitals, etc. I had a discussion with a long-time Cuba visitor who goes 3-4 times a year. And each flight she contacts the airline, gets the aid letter and brings curtains, fabric, frills basically. Aid is for those in distress who need necessities, not bling to look better than the neighbours. I sometimes wish the airlines would realize that most people who ask for the letter are doing the former. Airlines should be asking for the inventory of what’s being transported instead of giving it to the first askers. If that makes sense!

I would say that 98% of the stuff transported as AID is just gifts for the lucky. Space is limited on a plane and once the weight quota has been reached (I think it might be 2 suitcases of 10 KG each) real aid fails to get to those who need it most. Sorry everyone, it is one of my pet peeves and I apolgize if I have offended anyone, but I don’t want someone living a life that is unsustainable so that someone else can have co-ordinated colours in their homes. A lot of people don’t have homes to decorate.

Humanitarian aid is best handled by outfits like the Dubois foundation, or Not Just Tourists (if you want to do the transporting yourself). Then it actually gets to people who need it (as opposed to those who want it). IMO, the allowance should not be used to transport gifts to friends or family.

Well said sund0g and eeeefarm

Defining humanitarian assistance
‘Humanitarian assistance’ is aid and action designed to save lives, alleviate suffering and maintain and protect human dignity during and in the aftermath of emergencies.

I angers me to see the term misused to describe gifts and trinkets that people bring to hand out to friends and strangers. It also angers me that the airlines would let them get away with it.

I hear ya’, CubaJack, but some people steal from the church donation basket. Is it the fault of the church for having donation baskets?

Air Canada no charge for second checked - total 23 / 23 / 10 / 10 kg.

Our last couple of years with Air Canada Vacations have been that, each.

[quote=@madrugada][quote=@cubajack] It also angers me that the airlines would let them get away with it.[/quote]I hear ya’, CubaJack, but some people steal from the church donation basket. Is it the fault of the church for having donation baskets?
[/quote]
Good analogy, M. Of course it isn’t. I’m probably being simplistic to think that the airlines could do all that much to prevent people from abusing their policy.

[quote=@cubajack][quote=@madrugada]I hear ya’, CubaJack, but some people steal from the church donation basket. Is it the fault of the church for having donation baskets?
[/quote]Good analogy, M. Of course it isn’t. I’m probably being simplistic to think that the airlines could do all that much to prevent people from abusing their policy.
[/quote]

Only way they could prevent the free transport for humanitarian aid policy from being abused is to take it away.

Seems that whenever something is free or at no charge, the abuse runs rampant. Funny how there are suddenly a zillions reasons why the abusers think they should be exempt. If you abuse it, you lose it!

Can’t recall off hand which charter airline is was (Sunwing? Transat?) but they started to charge for humanitarian aid suitcases.

Westjet does not consider “veterinary supplies” to be ‘Humanitarian assistance’.

No surprise in that!

Humanitarian dictionary definition I found was:-

1. having concern for or helping to improve the welfare and happiness of people.
  2. of or pertaining to ethical or theological humanitarianism.
  3. pertaining to the saving of human lives or to the alleviation of suffering: a humanitarian crisis.
    noun
  4. a person actively engaged in promoting human welfare and social reforms, as a philanthropist.
  5. a person who professes ethical or theological humanitarianism.

Animals are not humans although many people treat them as their “fur babies”.