Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Westjet planes

Hi, does anyone know if entry and departure fees are covered with Westjet vacations? I am thinking of booking with them and can’t find a breakdown of prices on their website. Thanks

I booked our flight for March 09 last August with West Jet - my itinerary states that only my DR Tourist card (for two) for $20.00 is included. It appears that we must pay our own departure tax when we leave the DR.

If you require clarification, call West Jet toll free at: 1-888-937-8538. They will be happy to answer all your questions.

Happy Flying!
Storm :sunglasses:

Since we’re talking about WestJet…

Does anyone know why or if the change in flights to Punta Cana this summer, their website says that “seasonal service from Toronto or Winnipeg stops on May 2nd and resumes Nov. 4th”…?

We were hoping to use them again this August like we did last summer? I sure hope this is just a mistake and have not stopped summer travel to Punta Cana.

Cheers,
Debbie

Debbie,

It could possibly be due to lack of seat sales. Airlines don’t make money if the seats aren’t all sold, so that’s the only reason I can think of for the scheduling - they would fly full force during the busier months.

In summer, I would think most Canadians would choose to stay in the north as our summers are pretty great. Winter is when we want the warm southern sun - not that anyone who lives in the 'Peg needs reminder of such :wink:

I buy what your saying Storm but… last August the planes were FULL going to Punta Cana. Also, if they don’t offer it this summer HOW are they supposed to fill the planes? Kind of a catch 22, if it’s not offered, they can’t fill em up.

They stop flying, according to their website, May 2 to Nov 4, 6 months is a loooong time to suspend travel to the D.R.

Still hoping they change their minds.

Is this their regular scheduled service or charters?

[quote=@stormlost] Winter is when we want the warm southern sun - not that anyone who lives in the 'Peg needs reminder of such :wink:

Storm 8-)[/quote]

Hmmm warm 'peg summers…almost gets above freezing then doesnt it :slight_smile: heheheh

Sorry, use to work for Innovatech, head office is in the 'peg, was a common joke about the weather in the 'peg.

I’m going to say both Charters and Regular as when I try to select a regular flight only or a vacation package through their vacation website it will not allow me to choose anything past May 2nd. :frowning:

Just got back from our place in Puerto Plata on Friday. We have flown with Westjet the last 4 times and they are the best hands down. The departure taxes ARE included in your ticket costs.

I’m going to say both Charters and Regular as when I try to select a regular flight only or a vacation package through their vacation website it will not allow me to choose anything past May 2nd. :([/quote]

I phoned WestJet last night to ask if it was for real that they are suspending flights to the D.R. for 6 months starting May 2nd.

Their response was YES ??? but the person I spoke with indicated they didn’t know why. When I said we flew with them last August and the flights were full during the summer, she said she knew that they were full so again she said she didn’t have an answer or knew what their planes were going to do for the 6 months.

She also said if there was enough of a demand that maybe it would change. I responded that if the flights or vacations aren’t offered or available how would they know if there was a demand? Again, she couldn’t think of a good answer ??? She ended by saying, just keep checking every so often and maybe it will change. :frowning:

I’m really dissappointed :frowning:

I think it may be a response to the worldwide recession. WestJet like many travel companies who rely on discretionary spending are probably planning on a reduction in demand for sun destinations during the summer.

That’s my guess, anyway.

Gregg

[quote=@gregg]I think it may be a response to the worldwide recession. WestJet like many travel companies who rely on discretionary spending are probably planning on a reduction in demand for sun destinations during the summer.

That’s my guess, anyway.

Gregg[/quote]

I totally agree with Fireguy, and I also believe there will be more airline cutbacks to come , to try to maintain prices…

same thing is going on in Vegas right now, even if every plane going to Vegas was full they would never fill all the rooms available,

so could be very interesting for the weaker hotel chains in sun destinations if this happens there also

While I DO agree with you, that leaves no competition for 6 months and allows Air Canada to hose us as they are still flying to PC in the summer months. :frowning:

I’ll guess we’ll just have to wait an see :-/

[quote=@debinatore]While I DO agree with you, that leaves no competition for 6 months and allows Air Canada to hose us as they are still flying to PC in the summer months. :frowning:

I’ll guess we’ll just have to wait an see :-/[/quote]
So very true and that leaves Air Canada the ability to charge whatever price they want. Completely unfair but then again they have been getting away with it for years

Debbie, just a thought here - have you thought of sending West Jet a letter to express your concerns and disappointment? If there was ever a personable airline in this country since Max Ward sold his - it’s West Jet. You;ve got nothing to lose for the trying except the cost of the paper, envelope and stamp!

Quite often the person answering the phone is the last person to hear of changes and certainly is not the person who can institute them. If they get enough feedback, then the “powers that be” may rethink their plans for the summer.

Best of Luck,