Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

What advice do you give your friends?

When I have a friend going to Cuba for the first time, I advise them to take a steel-insulated mug for drinks, as well as a washcloth or two as the hotel never seems to have washcloths. I have created a little booklet of info that I give to my friend, explaining the tourist card, departure fees, and things like that.

Do you have any tips you give your first-timer friends?

My top piece of advise, to anyone who asks me about visiting Cuba, is be very careful about selecting your resort area and resort. Do your homework and investigate what Cuba has to offer, it’s various tourist areas and resorts and, definitely, check reviews for the time of year they plan to visit. Once they’ve booked, if they are staying in Varadero or vicinity, I suggest a visit to Havana should be on their to do list. Tip discreetly. Get off the resort and explore. Book the VIP lounge for the return home. Just a few :slight_smile:

If you are around Parque Central in Havana don’t believe anyone that says they need milk for their baby.

I’ll add a few:

• Be careful when booking a “private taxi.” Ask on forums such as Debbies or from a recommendation. Although they all charge the same, some from what I’ve heard give a poor tour, don’t know anything about the history, and don’t have a good handle on the English language.

• If possible when away from the Resorts, Paladars are the place to eat for quality of food, price, and ambiance over restaurants.

• I cannot stress enough how important it is to treat employees with respect (here I go again with something I feel very strongly about !)

Good question as many of us who have been going for years are advocates for this destination and do get asked questions all the time.
[ul]
[li]expect nothing and appreciate everything
[/li][li]You are in another country do your homework about the culture and do not impose your customs on them. You are the quest act like a polite one.
[/li][li]not every resort will be for every person…as mentioned do your homework. For us while adult only is our 1st choice we have been other places and as long as there are no “kids promotional” theme all has been okay.
[/li][li]waste not…so the insulated cup is a good beginning.
[/li][li] We have a packing list we have massaged over the years that assist us in not over-packing and still remember what is needed.
[/li][li]enjoy and be happy… you are on vacation.
[/li][/ul]

I think a first timer who doesn’t have high expectations will discover the best features of Cuba.
Research pays big time! Ask questions here. Send PMs for more details.
Read our “Money Exchange 101” and our "What are your travel “must haves”? Subjects"
Trip Reviews reveal repeating problems and consistently good features.

[quote=@canuks]Good question as many of us who have been going for years are advocates for this destination and do get asked questions all the time.
[ul]
[li]expect nothing and appreciate everything
[/li][li]You are in another country do your homework about the culture and do not impose your customs on them. You are the quest act like a polite one.
[/li][li]not every resort will be for every person…as mentioned do your homework. For us while adult only is our 1st choice we have been other places and as long as there are no "kids promotional" theme all has been okay.
[/li][li]waste not…so the insulated cup is a good beginning.
[/li][li] We have a packing list we have massaged over the years that assist us in not over-packing and still remember what is needed.
[/li][li]enjoy and be happy… you are on vacation.
[/li][/ul]
[/quote]

so true!

:slight_smile:

Tell them bring home two 750ml bottle Legiondary rhum