Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

What avenue do you use to book travel

[p]With so many different ways to book travel, what is the way that you use?  Have you ever used someone and had a negative experience?  [/p]

Research on line then book with a Travel Agent through a Rewards Program for a discount from best web pricing.
We know what to expect now.
There are “Horror Stories” out there.

I have used Bookit and Cheap Carribean…never seemed to have a problem and the prices seemed comparable.

Almost all online agencies use the same booking computer system and there is no difference in price unless one is having a special like $50 Tax or $100 off per couple etc.
Depending on the credit card, you can get 5% cash off the best online price plus 2% in points/cash to use later plus free supplemental medical insurance, cancellation insurance and travel coverage for lost or stolen items.
It adds up.

Your agencies would have trouble booking Cuba.
Here, we check (there are lots more) Selloffvacations.com, itravel2000.com and aircanadavacations.com for pricing. Most of our storefront travel agencies will match prices.

We have had no problems booking with Holiday Market Travel out of Mississauga. I deal with Rick and after doing my research and finding what I want, he books it for me. I still like to talk to a person when booking my trips.

I book everything on line, either directly with the airline or via Expedia (Airmiles shops), so I can add a few extra airmiles. If I pay with my credit card, I earn extra travel miles. I’ve used Itravel2000.com as well in the past, as well as Travelzoo.

A few years ago we walked into a travel agency and informed about flights to Shannon, Ireland. They gave us an idea about what route to go and a price. Back home, I checked online and saw the same flights for the same price, so I ended up booking online anyway.

I do my research on line, then book with my regular TA. She matches prices, and I have the security of knowing she has my back if sh*t happens. This has come in handy more than once, plus she keeps me informed about a trip that interests me, and lets me know if space on the plane is getting tight, etc. She has also managed to salvage a deal for me that had disappeared from the listings, has gotten me a single booking which wasn’t possible to book on line, etc. A good Travel Agent is gold!

Online. I haven’t found a brick and mortar place makes any difference. I’ve used American Airlines Vacations, Air Canada Vacations, Westjet (not for vacations though, just flights), Orbitz, Tripcentral, Bookit…all good experiences.

I do the same. I shop around a few sites to look at all the options and deals, and then book online.

I used to always go through a travel agent, but not open evenings, not open weekends etc just isn’t conveinent at all. Prices change, seats sell out etc quickly.

Luckily I have never had a bad experience booking online, nor have I ever had a need for a TA to assist me once on a vacation.

[quote=@monctonguy]I do the same. I shop around a few sites to look at all the options and deals, and then book online.

I used to always go through a travel agent, but not open evenings, not open weekends etc just isn’t conveinent at all. Prices change, seats sell out etc quickly.

Luckily I have never had a bad experience booking online, nor have I ever had a need for a TA to assist me once on a vacation.[/quote]That was my one experience with a travel agent, too, Monctonguy. For my first trip ever, I booked my mum and I through Marlin Travel. There were NO advantages to booking with a person…in fact, if I’d booked online, I’d have received Air Miles. I didn’t booking in person for some reason. They also had very limited hours, M-F 9-5 and she never answered the emails I’d sent to her; they no longer have a storefront location in my town. No wonder. At least with the online sites, you can call pretty much any time…and I have. I’ve had good phone service with Bookit, Tripcentral, AC Vacations, and AA Vacations. No price differences, either.

If you use a ScotiaBank Visa Gold Passport card you can use their travel agency on line or on the phone. You get the best on-line pricing less 5% cash back, insurances, and another 2% in points to use for the next purchase/or trip.
The savings are pretty good.

Booking online works just fine until you have a problem. I much prefer to deal with difficulties by making one phone call and letting my TA sort it out. The most dramatic example of this was my interrupted 2008 trip to Sol Luna Mares. After one night we were evacuated because of Hurricane Paloma. Once I got home, I made one phone call to my travel agent and she dealt with it for me. I was in touch with someone I had met on the plane who was in the same position as I was, but he had booked on line. Over the next few days he and his wife spent hours on the phone, dealing with rude and difficult people. He kept in touch with me, and when my TA got my settlement sorted out (full credit for the trip plus the entire cost of the Club Class including what I had received on the down leg), he was able to use my compensation as leverage to get the same deal. I made one phone call. He spent a lot of time on the phone arguing, and likely wouldn’t have received as much had he not been in touch with me. It sure convinced me using a TA is the way to go!

Many people feel they can do a better job by booking on line. The Tour Operators count on it.
A local TA has the direct line to the person who issues refunds.
The on-line rep has a direct line to your next of many agents who need you to stay on line or on the phone until you exceed the 112 minutes that their fulfillment company set as the minimum you have to stay on hold to get a rep who can authorize a refund.
Or authorize you to talk to the person who can authorize your request for refund.

Chances are, we get a deal on line and never have a problem.
Chances are, we have a problem with that deal and half of us give up before we get a full refund or even some of the credits eeefarm got.

As the old travellers figured out, giving our best on-line info to a reliable Travel Agent and letting them beat the price, works out pretty well for us.
Finding a real and reliable travel agent these days is hard. There are some gems out there.