Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

What is going on at the BGP Samana and El Portillo

Good evening,

It is with great interest that I read the posts on this forum. I started off leaning toward the BGP Samana for our holidays. After the problems that Natalie and Tim reported looked like they were not getting sorted out we switched to the BGP El Portillo.

I read the posts but for the life of me I wonder aloud if the reviews of the resorts are even from the same resorts. I read the ones here and on tripadvisor.

There are rats, sewage, and poor food and it is only a two star in one review and then a couple with two teenage children that are at the same resort during the same time frame rated it as a five star resort. Construction is one thing but raw sewage is another.

I know that reviews are all in the eyes of the beholder but if Air Transat is not selling trips to these resorts why are they advertising for the BGP Samana and not the El Portillo in the Saturday Toronto Star.

I wander what is going on. Have the people going down on January 6th or on the thirteenth heard anything?

Just thought I would start this new thread to see what peoples thoughts are.

Steve ???

Hi Steve
If you would like to see recent pics of Gran Bahia Pricipe El Portillo go to Sunquest web site for the resort .They have a lot of new pictures of the resort and of the rest of the area.I find it hard to believe that the review on tripadvisor is the same resort and time if you look at pics.
We are leaving for El Potillo Jan 21 and are satisfied with our choice.
SouperDave

Souperdave

I am glad I am not the only one who looks at the reviews and the pictures and read the reviews and wander what is going on. I can understand different expectations and new staff learning curves but the other stuff would have to be dealt with right away.

Have a great trip.

Steve

We’re leaving for El Portillo on Jan. 21st too (I think).
I read the reviews, and as others have said, it’s hard to believe people are reporting on the same resort for the same week.
We went through this same stuff when Breezes POP opened up a couple of years ago. Everything worked out fine.
I really think if you go with an open mind and accept that it may not be “perfect”, smile instead of dwelling on any shortcomings, it will be a great holiday.

See you on the plane, Souperdave!!

Hey Guys
I’m booked into El Portillo on Feb 11 - 18.
After your return - Please E-mail me and let me know the truth about this resort at
jthar@mountaincable.net
Any new pictures would be great as well
As long as the Beer is Cold, I should be OK, but want to prepare the wife and her 2 cousins for the worst if there is any merit to some of these reviews
Thanks in advance - Jeff

We had a couple friend recently stay at the El Portillo. They had nothing but horrible things to say. It took over 2 hours to check in to their room and they arrived at 5pm in the afternoon. They said they had to wait any where from 20-30 mins for the buffet. The service was very slow, the staff not very polite. They weren’t getting towels in the room, they’d have to request it all the time. It looks like a beautiful resort as we drove to pick them up, but other than that it is not a great resort.

We were very nervous before we departed for GBP Samana, as we had read the negative reviews. After arriving at the resort, we immeditaly realized that the negative reviews must have come from people who would not be satisfied even if they had a personal assistant at their disposal 24 hours per day!

We had a great time; the staff are wonderful despite their minimal grasp of English (but what else would I expect going to a Spanish speaking country?!?)

Nice pictures and read your blog with interest.

Hi guys and thanks for the updates. I am glad that the problems are all worked out. We ended up going to Punta Cana and staying at the Paladium palace resorts and had a great holiday. We will put the Samana resorts back on our list for next year.

Steve

[quote author=chrisandleahdotcom board=QuestionsabouttheSamanaPeninsula thread=1168132973 post=1172001793]We were very nervous before we departed for GBP Samana, as we had read the negative reviews. After arriving at the resort, we immeditaly realized that the negative reviews must have come from people who would not be satisfied even if they had a personal assistant at their disposal 24 hours per day!

We had a great time; the staff are wonderful despite their minimal grasp of English (but what else would I expect going to a Spanish speaking country?!?)[/quote]

Thank you Chris and Leah for your positive posts on this board, I am
glad that some one other then me post pictures on this board and present the real Samana as you see it.

Side note, on your blog is a mention of cycling, do you know that they are professionals mountain bike riders coming to Samana Peninsula very often to bike some unbelievable trails over the mountains.
PM me if interested to contact the organizer, Girrard, a Iron Men competitor himself.

Samana