Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

What is the STRANGEST thing you've seen in Cuba?

Was it a scam?
Was it a fellow tourist?
Was it a hotel incident?
Was it something that made you say “Wow”?
Was it something that makes you say “WTF”? (not Wednesday, Thursday, Friday).
C’mon, share. Spill the beans.
You can tell me, I will keep it a secret.

My wow moment. First trip to Varadero and seeing that tourqoise water for the very first time. Breathless

My WTF moment and others. Same beach, same year. A older German man, had to be 80, wearing a bright floresent green hamook. Had to cover my eyes…lol Mrs B just started laughing.

Cheers

I was at Brisas Guardalavaca with a buddy and we met some young ladies from the Centre Of The Universe who imported their own, ahem, ‘herbal medication’.
I have never seen anyone pass through customs and immigration ‘carrying’.

[quote=@bergerman]My wow moment. First trip to Varadero and seeing that tourqoise water for the very first time. Breathless

My WTF moment and others. Same beach, same year. A older German man, had to be 80, wearing a bright floresent green hamook. Had to cover my eyes…lol Mrs B just started laughing.

Cheers[/quote]He’s been to Cayo Largo too. I’ve seen him walking around the pool while we were having lunch a few years back… yeah it was ouch alright!

The strangest thing I have seen is Cuba was at Brisas a few years back. My buddy and I had our chairs pulled up into the water on the beach and we were in relaxation mode smoking a cigar and drinking a Pina Colada celebrating the fact we were now in Cuba.

I had to look twice and could not believe my eyes as a rather large sunburnt man floated by that was purple in the face. My buddy and I ditched our drinks and cigars and flew into the water after this man. He was so big we could barely drag him out of the water. We had to put him on our beach mat and drag him onto the beach. We yelled for help and a tourist that was a nurse and her BF helped us revive this man. The beach patrol guards from the resort told us they did not want him here. I said what the hell are we suppose to do with him?. We were told to put him back into the water and he will float to Club Amigo and they can hall him back out of the water. The ambulance was called and this man was taken to the hospital. Two of our resort towels that we used as blankets also headed to the hospital with this man.

My WTF moment was the next day when we seen this guy we saved and asked him how he was. He was ungrateful and quite mad with us for calling an ambulance because he missed his flight tour to another part of Cuba because he was in the hospital. I was seeing red by this time and wanted to freak out on the guy, he was already half in the bag again. In the process of saving his life we ditched 2 drinks, 2 cigars, the mans weight ripped the beach mat we put him on, we had to call the hospital and ask for the towels back or we would be charged $20.00 each towel, he scared the heck out of us trying to save him and to top it all off when we finally got our beach towels back they stunk of urine as he peed himself after we dragged him onto the beach.

Now I know why the guards said to float him down to the next resort, lol. My buddy and I refer to this adventure as the day we found a “Real live dead guy”. Go figure … You help save someone life and now you are the “bad guy”.

Freedom Ryder 8-)…

[quote=@bigjohn]Was it a scam?
Was it a fellow tourist?
Was it a hotel incident?
Was it something that made you say “Wow”?
Was it something that makes you say “WTF”? (not Wednesday, Thursday, Friday).
C’mon, share. Spill the beans.
You can tell me, I will keep it a secret.  [/quote][b]Well, the STRANGEST thing, and I don’t even know WHAT to call it!?!
It’s a combination of “All of the Above”…
Fellow Tourist, SCAM, Hotel Incident, and it still makes me say “WOW” and “What The…?!?”

I’m planning my 6th visit to Cayo Largo… been up and down those beaches ~ West Side and East Side…
And I still haven’t been able to “FIND” ~ let alone “TRIM” any of those so-called “Rum Trees”???[/b]

B-| O_o P-) ;-|

Two words: fish ice-cream
The Cubans told me it wasn’t for tourists, but I didn’t believe them…

When I used to order lobster, I noticedthat there weren’t any arms and claws with the dish. I used to wonder what the cooks did with them. After a trip or two, I realized that their lobsters didn’t have any claws unlike our east coast lobsters.

Marea resort - British tourist went to disco - met nice Cuba lady - went for nude swim - when back all clothes / money passport room key stolen - came back to resort wearing two big leaves !!!

It could only happen to a naive Briton.

apologies Bellagio for this comment: I sometimes (quite often) read too quickly and when I read, “It could only happen to a naive Briton.”, i read it as, “It could only happen to a native Briton.” But I realized what my mind did to me (not my fault, it was mind who did it), I laughed out loud - not at you - but my wayward mind decided to wandering but I enjoyed it anyway. Canadians have a lot of ‘native Canuks’!!

Watching the sun rise in Cayo Largo from the ‘‘textile beach’’ while sipping my cappuccino. I notice someone walking in my direction between the Pelicano and the Sol right at the shoreline (about 30 feet away from me). A man in a t-shirt… wearing no bottoms. Real classy.

electrical wiring. Absolutely the most bizarre thing I have ever witnessed

[quote=@sund0g]

apologies Bellagio for this comment: I sometimes (quite often) read too quickly and when I read, “It could only happen to a naive Briton.”, i read it as, “It could only happen to a native Briton.” But I realized what my mind did to me (not my fault, it was mind who did it), I laughed out loud - not at you - but my wayward mind decided to wandering but I enjoyed it anyway. Canadians have a lot of ‘native Canuks’!!

[/quote] LOL… I had to read the post again to make sure it’s not native Briton!  I read it as native too!

Actually when I re read it I thought it said native Briton too. I did mean naive, of course.

[p]Canucks mentioned electrical. Made me think of these shower heaters. I take cold showers. They scare the hell out of me.[/p][p]
[/p][p][/p][p]
[/p][p]My WTF would be this one.[/p][p]
[/p][p][/p]

Holy Crap!
The candle looks like something from January in Eastern Canada. Keeps the pipes from freezing.

that’s what I was thinking also Spunky

I think the strangest for me was a pig playing the piano.

Cheers,
Terry

okay … I want a picture of that Terry before I will take that one …mainly because I want to see it for myself (grin)