Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

What is your favorite Cuban rum?

The last Ron Matusalem 15 I purchased was at the Holguin airport. the dor Matusalem from the D.R. tastes very sililar.

I also like the Caney. I bought some Legendario the last time thinking it was rum, big mistake, tasted like medicine.

Just spent a couple days visiting my brother in Victoria, BC, last week… he picked up a bottle of Havana Club 7 year… brother bonding is important, but… priceless with the right rum!

Great topic!!
Question: How many bottles of spirits does everyone bring back with them into Canada? Has anyone had grief bringing back perhaps a little more than what has been allowed per the customs declaration?
We have always brought 4 750 ml bottles back with us, which I believe to be above the limit, but with no problems ever.
For the record we purchase the 7 YO Havana Club. I’ve probably got about 10 bottle in “inventory” presently. I don’t think it goes bad does it? :slight_smile:

[quote=@zuley]
For the record we purchase the 7 YO Havana Club. I’ve probably got about 10 bottle in “inventory” presently. I don’t think it goes bad does it? :-)[/quote]

I’ve never given it the chance to find out.

[quote=@bigjohn][quote=@zuley]
For the record we purchase the 7 YO Havana Club. I’ve probably got about 10 bottle in “inventory” presently. I don’t think it goes bad does it? :-)[/quote]

I’ve never given it the chance to find out.

[/quote]

Actually the Dominican rum that we have brought back is prone to evaporation, or reverse osmosis, or something that makes it vanish.
Zuley , yes Cuban rum goes bad very quickly and can make you very sick.
Please send a small gallon sample to me at the state-of-the-art
Dr. V. C. Canadian research facility in frozentundratown.

legendary rum on ice -for sure - only available from the rum store in downtown varadero.

Legendario “Elixir de Cuba” 7 yr…a slow sipping delight after a special dinner in our home.

History Ron Matusalem
http://www.royalmilewhiskies.com/product.asp?pf_id=0400000001456

Legendario 7 yr and HC Barrel Proof are my preferred choices!
We currently have 18 bottles of different Cuban rums in our “inventory” in the hope that this winter we’ll get to have a formal “Rum Tasting” in our new home - wherever that may be (shopping tomorrow!).

Re: bringing back what’s allowed
On a recent trip, we brought back 9 bottles between 2 of us. Not feeling up to asking anyoe on our flight to “carry” for us, we opted to declare EVERYTHING! Good choice! We were sent to secondary inspection…they asked what we had, we were honest and they waved us through! Didn’t even look at a single bottle/ drop!
We figured this: if you DON’T declare and get busted, you’re screwed. If we DO declare, the worst that can happen is that we have to either give up or pay duty on about $100 worth of rum that in Canada would have cost us at least 3 times that amount.
So we coughed up and no one batted an eyelash! ;D

Charmainiac, we do the same…declare all and hope for the best. So far, we’ve breezed through. Perhaps it’s the God awful early morning hours that we always seem to arrive at Vancouver Customs. The agents we’ve encountered have never batted an eye…I hope it stays that way for the next trip ;D

abulousfabe
if you like it try San cristobal limited issue rom will cast you app.90 to 100 cuc a bottle.check in a store in havana.very limited batch made for special people in cuba but available for sale in limited quantity.

I bought a bottle of Ron Matusalem in Holguin about 6 years ago. I was saving it for a special occasion. Then my wife drank it without me knowing.

I think the Havana Club Barrel Proof is superior to the Havana Club 7 year old for drinking straight or on the rocks. My opinion.

“… I bought a bottle of Ron Matusalem in Holguin about 6 years ago. I was saving it for a special occasion. Then my wife drank it without me knowing…”

Beardo, if it was real Matusalem then it’s good that you divorced her… :wink:

At the VIP lounge at the airport, a lady turned me on to mixing Millwoods and HC Barrel Proof - WOW. Nice. A real mule kick! You could try it at home with Bailey’s.

now that sounds wonderful, eloisegirl, especially with Christmas coming. I’ll have to go to Detroit on the weekend so I can get some Baileys on the way back at the duty free. I have a bottle of Barrel Proof from our trip in October. Was it equal parts?

Yep, 1 oz and 1 oz. All you need is one, and you’ll be feeling the Christmas spirit, all right.

Perhaps the reason that Canadian Customs didn’t charge you the overage is the paperwork etc that would be generated over a possible $3.00 bottle of rum - is it worth it to them? ::slight_smile:

Never lie to Customs - they will red flag your name if caught and you will be secondary inspection material every time you travel.

I always tell the truth, sometimes they let me through, sometimes they do a search of my bag; it matches exactly what I’ve claimed and I have not had to pay anything so far. Even if I do, I’ve still saved money and had fun in Cuba. Win win! :wink: I have brought 5 bottles home as well as maybe 63 cigars, you know, two packs of 25 peso cigars and then some of the more expensive singles.