Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

What money where?

Hi, we are traveling to the dm punta cana for the first time this oct and im really confused as to which currency we are going to need and for when. i have been advised that to purchase goods us dollars are fine but to tip hotel staff they prefer the dominican peso. when we went to florida we left $5 per day for the maid in the room. what is the expected amount to leave per day in dm? we are staying at supaclub breezes punta cana all inclusive. do waiters, bar staff etc expect tips? if so, any recomemdations. thanks for any advice which comes my way. ??? ???

$US are just fine for tips. If you want any local currency there is a bank with and ATM on site.

Tips are not required but are appreciated and might make staff a bit more responsive to your particular needs - but not necessarily. $2US per day for the maid seems about average. We had a great week at Breezes Punta Cana last November - hope you do too.

Gregg

I agree with Gregg 100%.
I will add that tips are appreciated, but may or may not make them more responsive. That really depends on your attitude toward them … nuff said.
Since you are posting from the UK, you will need $10 US cash to purchase your tourist visa when you arrive at the airport in the Dominican Republic. You can also purchase the tourist card in advance there before you leave. Whether that’s worth the effort is up to you.
AFAIK, the $20 US departure tax is included in your air fare price, but I would put $20 US per person aside just in case. $20 US cash, no pesos, credit cards or …

but I would put $20 US per person aside just in case. $20 US cash, no pesos, credit cards or …

US$20 departure tax on Wednesday of last week was being taken in peso’s and pound sterling. I think they took euro’s too. The people in front of me didn’t have dollars and asked to pay in peso’s, the guy taking the cash didn’t bat an eye-lid just gave them the exchange rate which my rough working out in my head, wasn’t unreasonable.

But a crisp $20 bill was easiest!

Well, that’s a welcome and long overdue change in policy… ;D
bfc

thanks for the advice. i think just a small amount of local currancy will be fine. i was planning on mainly taking dollars in the first place but didnt want to get caught out. thanks also for the advice about the tourist visa to get in, i didnt know about that one id only heard of the tax you pay to leave. its getting close now and were realy looking forward to this holiday. :sunglasses:

[quote author=keith board=general thread=1158393864 post=1158409674]but I would put $20 US per person aside just in case. $20 US cash, no pesos, credit cards or …

US$20 departure tax on Wednesday of last week was being taken in peso’s and pound sterling. I think they took euro’s too. The people in front of me didn’t have dollars and asked to pay in peso’s, the guy taking the cash didn’t bat an eye-lid just gave them the exchange rate which my rough working out in my head, wasn’t unreasonable.

bfc

[/quote]

When we left from Punta Cana this past Saturday (Sept. 16th) they were not charging a departure tax. We paid the $10 entrance tax and were given a little card that was then taken about 40 feet later by another person before being allowed into the baggage claim area.

[quote author=blake board=general thread=1158393864 post=1158596328][quote author=keith board=general thread=1158393864 post=1158409674]but I would put $20 US per person aside just in case. $20 US cash, no pesos, credit cards or …

bfc

[/quote]

When we left from Punta Cana this past Saturday (Sept. 16th) they were not charging a departure tax. We paid the $10 entrance tax and were given a little card that was then taken about 40 feet later by another person before being allowed into the baggage claim area.[/quote]

“MOST” US packages include the $20 departure tax. Not the case when traveling from Canada. Of course, in that case, the $10 tourist card is covered… Nothing like being consistent. :o

[quote author=bobfromcanada board=general thread=1158393864 post=1158620151][quote author=blake board=general thread=1158393864 post=1158596328]

When we left from Punta Cana this past Saturday (Sept. 16th) they were not charging a departure tax. We paid the $10 entrance tax and were given a little card that was then taken about 40 feet later by another person before being allowed into the baggage claim area.[/quote]

"MOST" US packages include the $20 departure tax. Not the case when traveling from Canada. Of course, in that case, the $10 tourist card is covered… Nothing like being consistent. :o[/quote]

Well I meant no one in the airport that day was paying it. At least no one that I saw. I didn’t even see anyone there to collect money if they were. I was shocked as were several others I was waiting in line with at security. They were all fully expecting to pay a fee. Maybe they’ve dropped it shrugs

We always pay at the ticket counter so maybe that is why you didn’t see others not pay the dreaded tax. :sunglasses:

[quote author=BobFromCanada board=general thread=1158393864 post=1158409674]Well, that’s a welcome and long overdue change in policy… ;D
bfc

[/quote]

But if you reach the front of the queue and the policy has changed again, I doubt saying “but Keith said on the Debbie’s forum that I could pay in pesos” will cut much ice! So a US$20 is still best put with your ticket!

Lel, I’m from the UK and find it much easier to take £sterling travellers cheques and change to peso’s. If you pay in dollars you will get peso’s change and I’ve never known anyone get a good rate. I always take £30 worth of dollars and £30 worth of pesos’s and get my tourist card before leaving you get it from the DR embassy in London and only takes a few days look on their website for full details. Take a pen on board the plane to fill in your entrance card and you’ll zoom past everyone to the baggage hall.

Disagree, Part Agree, Agree,…

I simply take my debit card and draw money out of the ATM. I found the exchange rate to be reasonable and you’ve got control over how much you draw and when.

Tourist Card in London? If you are not on a package tour, then it’s a great move, but if you’re simply going to get out a bit quicker to wait on the bus, it’s less of an issue. And you need to be a bit more organised to do so.

Pen to fill in the blue form? Yes, take one! Unless the airport authority change their mind and deem them an offensive weapon again! Fill the blue form in while in flight if you can get hold of one or at minimum, be prepared in advance, so you can just get on with filling it in rather than scratch around trying to find one or borrow one.

Luggage reclaim is more efficient than Gatwick every time… but still a wait!