Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

What to do, what to do?

Well…I know by nature I like to have things planned & paid for but this year is different. We’re ‘winging it’.
So, my question is…for a week in Feb. I found a really good price for BlueBay Villas from GoTravel Direct. It is $400 cheaper than the price from SOV. It’s on sale right now.
Problem…I got burned by GoTravel one year when they cancelled the whole plane from Halifax. Now, I realize that they’ve had (or are having) some trouble and are using other carriers…but…would I be taking too much of gamble ??? if I booked with them.
I have the flexibility this year as to resorts and dates (only for 1 week though :’(. better than nothin’)
I’m thinking maybe of waiting … ::slight_smile: :stuck_out_tongue:
Any words of wisdom…I’m over-thinking this whole process and it’s driving me nuts.

If you weren’t out any money when they cancelled the plane, and I’m sure with the amount of traveling you’ve done you alway’s have insurance. It sounds like a good deal and you should go for it. I know,once bitten, twice shy. Go with your slogan " the less routine the more life "

thanks, xtanker…I have decided to wait…as much as I hate to pass up a good deal, we are waiting to hear from a family member who says :-/ she wants to get married down south in March/April…

I don’t think it’s going to happen… ::)…but what do I know?
She has promised to let us all know in Dec. at the latest. But she doesn’t seem to be doing any research…

I think it is just ‘wishful thinking’…so my deadline is going to be end of January for booking. Hope to see a few ‘sales’ in our local Saturday newspaper by then. :wink:

And, yes, we always get full trip insurance when we go away. Actually had to use it twice, first time was an accident my husband had on the job: second time a death in the family.

To be honest, I would never choose the Blue Bay hotel, there are many hotels in Playa Dorada nicer and better then the Blue Bay

Thanks. That’s reassuring… We’re going in January. Did you have a bad experience while you were there last year? ???

I mean at the Blue Bay Chicabianca28?

I have heard nothing but good about Blue Bay, have not been yet though:)

As I compare the Blue Bay with let say the Gran Ventana (what is my personal favorite)
The hotel is small, the rooms are small and a lot of rooms do not have a nice view (like parking place, or back wall of the hotel next door). The normal rooms are built in little houses and you have to pass the terrass or balcony from other rooms, or other people are passing yours on their way to their room. The buffet restaurant is small and not so much choice. There is a mini bar in the room, but you have to pay for the refill (hotel is all inclusive, but still you have to pay for the refill) Most of the shows at night are like elections such as mister blue bay, miss blue bay, ideal couple or karaoke. But not the good dancing shows or shows like Cats, Pirata, Comic show, Western, Playback and things like that.
The good thing from the hotel is that it is 18+ so no screaming little children running around.
The Blue Bay is not a bad hotel, personal I just like the Gran Ventana much better

Thanks for taking the time Chicabianca28. I appreciate your feedback. The good news is we prefer smaller resorts as I personnally found the gran Ventana simply too big… Rooms and entertainment at the resort itself don’t really matter as we usually go out as much as we can while on vacation. So it sounds perfect…
The good news is there is something for everyone, everywhere! Big, small, loud, quiet, close, far… You name it! I’m excited to go back to POP as I used to work and live there. It’s been a little while since though :slight_smile:
Thanks again for taking the time to answer and give you view on the Blue Bay. I appreciate it.

Best regards,

[quote=@lexmb]Thanks for taking the time Chicabianca28. I appreciate your feedback. The good news is we prefer smaller resorts as I personnally found the gran Ventana simply too big… Rooms and entertainment at the resort itself don’t really matter as we usually go out as much as we can while on vacation. So it sounds perfect…
The good news is there is something for everyone, everywhere! Big, small, loud, quiet, close, far… You name it! I’m excited to go back to POP as I used to work and live there. It’s been a little while since though :slight_smile:
Thanks again for taking the time to answer and give you view on the Blue Bay. I appreciate it.

Best regards,[/quote]

You are welcome, I love to share my thoughts, I was there for 21 times now and lived and worked for a while in puerto plata in the winter of 2001/2002
Bianca

And it’s great that you do because you know the place very well :smiley: