Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

What's in your travel first-aid kit

My number one and two med-pack items are aspirin and Tylenol with a few bandages and things like polysporin cream thrown in.

Eyedrops, Lip Blam, Imodium, Pepto Bismol, AlkaSeltzer, matches, Tweezers, Babypowder, Cold Medicine, Eye glass repair kit, Benadryl, Advil, Tensor bandage, Qtips, Small sewing kit, polysporin,afterbite pen, lots of bandaids all sizes, travel knife, safety pins, bar of soap, travel size shave cream and razor, its a big bag… these are my main items.

Just back from Club Villa Cojimar (Cayo Guillermo) and was very glad I had taken instant ice packs (you can get them at the dollar store, 2 in a pkg.) and a tensor bandage because my husband sprained his ankle the first night. Also had myoflex patches which seemed to help his pain considerably.

Other than the list above we also took alcohol wipes, benadryl cream, fisherman’s friend lozenges for throat tickles, blister bandages, gas X or equivalent, any prescriptions as well as an antibiotic because I am allergic to many of the usual ones and don’t want to be caught without one that I can take if infection strikes.

A $10 portable battery operated smoke detector, …I take every where I travel.

Along with lots of the stuff already mentioned … I always bring a few small bottles of hand sanitizer. One for my purse, one in my beach bag, one in the hotel room, etc. I make sure never to leave the room without it.

I cannot believe the amount of stuff people are taking for a week or two in the sun. The real priorities are immodium, bug spray and after bite, and tylenol.

Many travellers to Cuba follow the Boy Scout motto of being prepared. Since most of these items are not readily available in Cuba as in other destinations it’s best to have what you think you might need rather be caught short. Speaking for myself, I leave behind what I don’t use. From other threads along this line, I know others do, also.

I’m going to add gastrolyte to the above lists + sudafed, Tylenol #3, Ciprofloxin (latter 2 by prescription).
I suffer from motion sickness so I will be taking along motion sickeness patches.

I got an ear infection while vacationing at the Tryp Cayo Coco
2 years ago. The medical care I received at the Resort clinic
was at least up to Canadian standards and perhaps more.
I received a diagnosis from a doctor and treatment from
a nurse for three days. The total cost (including anti-biotic treatment)
was $CUC 35.
About 40% of this was recovered through OHIP
and the remainder from my union retirement t plan.

SO, other than my prescription meds and a small bottle of ACC,
the only other thing I carry is about 10-15 band aids in my wallet
(which I have and always will carry)
Please dont underestimate the quality of medical care
available in Cuba-it is among the best in the world.

Here’s a link to a similar thread with lots of good suggestions.

http://debbiesreviews.proboards88.com/index.cgi?board=Cuba&action=display&thread=2730&page=1

Rolaids … I take everything else as well but … omg I was hit once with mega heartburn and I will never forget them ever again …
Of course I take all these things but never bring them home with me.

Oh and bactine is also good for cleaning out any little cuts or scraps.

I’ve also taken to carrying a couple of LED ‘night lights’ to plug into the room walls when on travels. :slight_smile:

For travel-related intestinal problems, Immodium is probably the worst thing you can take. It’s designed to stop up your system to prevent diarrhea. But, whatever is in your body needs to get out. So you end up staying ill for a lot longer. Take ACTIVATED CHARCOAL tablets instead. It’s completely safe and efficient. :slight_smile:

I also take ibuprofin instead of tylenol (tylenol doesn’t mix well with alcohol). I’d also add sunscreen to the list.

Zeuzeuze, I’m totally behind your recommendation! I’ve mentioned charcoal on this board before - taking Immodium is like using an elephant to kill an ant - overkill! That being said, if you’re about to board a plane or attend a conference, then sure, take Immodium, but only for immediate and urgent relief. Otherwise, take charcoal, it will literally “soak up” all the toxins in your intestine. Charcoal tablets also work well for gas and bloating.

Gambitt…if you are a practicing physician please forward your contact number! ;D

A while back, my dentist gave me a tiny plastic box with a gummy substance that can be used to temporarily fill a tooth if a filling has fallen out (I was in the middle of some nasty work at the time!). I always take it on trips with me, just in case. I can’t imagine what a hassle it would be to lose a filling on vacation!