Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Wheelchair access?

I’m looking for someplace that my sister can go that she not only would have wheelchair access to the resort but also excursions that would accomodate this as well.

She was diagnosed with lung cancer early this year and was looking forward to going to Belize after the new year and wanted very much to see the mayan ruins. However it looks like that won’t be an option since she can’t walk for great distances and will probably require a wheelchair by that time. Any suggestions on other vacation spots?

This could be useful information.
Could you elaborate in some generic fashion without mentioning names?

Good description! That is nasty.
There is no way this should have happened, especially after all the emails prior to the visit.
And I guess the only way of finding out things like that are through these forums and even that is no guarantee.

[quote author=bobfromcanada board=general thread=1132714826 post=1132770037]Good description! That is nasty.
There is no way this should have happened, especially after all the emails prior to the visit.
And I guess the only way of finding out things like that are through these forums and even that is no guarantee.[/quote]
When she returned she contacted the on-line booking company and the tour operator and suggested the tour operator’s pamphlet should be more clearly worded regarding accessibility. She also contacted TICO.

Thank you so much for the comments and pointers!

I think (hope) come January she will only need the wheelchair for touring as walking for lengths of time is getting difficult. Hopefully within the resort she won’t need it. She’d love to see some ruins but I’m not sure this is possible in a wheelchair. Are agents generally knowledgeable in what tours are accommodating to this?

This is a very old post so here is an update from some personal experience. While on vacation back in the US I was injured in an auto vs. bike accident and was wheel chair bound for a couple of months when I returned home here.

We did take a short mini escape to the Blue Bay Hotel in Puerto Plata for a couple of days. It is about 30 min from our home. They were very accommodating and I really had no problem getting around on the chair. Even the beach was accessible. Anywhere there we stair involved the staff helped me up the stairs and carried the chair up as well.

I did find getting around town (Sosua, Caberete and Puerto Plata) was doable but hard at times with uneven sidewalks and curbs. The locals were always around to give us a hand when needed. I did find that when in stores and such there was somewhat of a disregard for “watching out” for me and on some occasions they would walk into the chair as they were not looking down. I also found a complete disregard to handicap parking as any one would park in the space and sometimes that made it difficult.

Overall there was not much that we could not do with me in the chair. One of our favorite restaurants even offered to put a table outside for us to dine as it was on the third floor with no access for me.

I should also note that getting through the airport was a breeze and they took me and the chair through passport, customs and baggage quite easily. In fact I never waited on the line at passport control but rather they took my passport and info up to the desk for me

I would say that vacationing here in a wheel chair is very possible, just let your hotel know.

bobk

I am also disabled and have been degenerating for years (getting worse). I have also been traveling for years. We are very happy, comfortable and quite fulfilled by going to the Dominican Republic, Puerto Plata, and Happily enjoying The Gran Ventana. I give this property a 99 out of 100 for accessibility, care and concern, they will do everything in their power to make your stay PERFECT! They always do for us and next year will be our 7th stay at this property. They say if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. I agree.
The Gran Ventana Puerto Plata, DR :smiley:

Ahy general comments regarding beach access for person with wheelchair/walker in PC ?

At any of the resorts I’ve stayed at in PC, it was easy to get to the beach. However, I never saw any one actually take the wheelchair out onto the sand. That probably wouldn’t be a good idea anyway. Sand and saltwater would make short work of the mechanisms and bearings.

A walker with 4 skis (no wheels) might get to/from a lounge chair, but not get through wet sand.