Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Where to go? Help! Punta Cana or Varadero?

My fiance and I want to go away and get married next December. I think it is between Punta Cana, Varadero, Holguin.
The only thing about Punta Cana is, its seems more people get sick there. I have been looking at the Iberostars, the one in Varadero, does not seem to be very lush. Any help would be appreciated!

I have been to 2 weddings down south, the first at Breezes Punta Cana(now Barcelo Punta Cana) and the second at Breezes Jibacoa, Cuba(1 hour out ofVaradero) both absolutey beautiful in my opinion. We had a great time in both areas and I have also been to Holguin and loved it. A vacation is what you make it and the same can be said about a wedding. You will receive many suggestions from the people on this forum and you can trust them.
Make a list of what is important to you in this adventure and then chose a resort that fits your needs. If price is an issue then look for some place that has good price packages for wedding and group rates. I don’t know how many people you will have with or if it is just the 2 of you but remember that it is your wedding and not worry too much about the resort pleasing everyone. If the beautiful beach is #1 on you list then all these areas have awesome beaches, but you can’t beat the fine powder beaches of Punta Cana.
Varadero and surrounding areas such as Breezes Jibacoa are great if you want to learn some History be going on a tour to Havana and Breezes Jibacoa is well known for its coral reef, perfect for snorkelling. I hope that this has not confused you and I an sure that you will have a great wedding in the Caribbean. Now read some of the past posts to check out wedding pics that the girls have posted, this will give some ideas of what your wedding can look like at various resorts.
Kat

Check out Shinetravel.ca

Something else to keep in mind is whether or not the resort allows children (in case you want to include them). Our daughter is getting married next spring at Casa del Mar, La Romana which is on the south coast of the DR. I have seen many weddings in Cuba (Varadero, Holguin and Cayo Coco) as well as the DR and Mexico. They all have their charms. I think Cayo Coco was especially lovely for a wedding. Good luck with your choice.

I was married at the Iberostar Varadero and it was great. I was also worried about the lushness of this resort as it was fairly new but it was as lush as any of the other resorts we have been at.

PM me if you would like any other details.

Also keep in mind that Punta Cana is rather quiet, and there is not much travelling off the resort for shopping, disco’s, etc. Punta Cana is beautiful. Varadero is also beautiful (I know, not much help), but I feel it has a lot more to offer to please everyone on the trip, especially if you have a large group that likes to keep busy. (I’m planning my wedding for Varadero this April).

Like most have said already, it all depends on what you really want for your wedding. There are lots of places that you can go. Try to narrow your choices by the options you’d like and what’s important.
I got married in Cuba and it was fantastic! You can check out my pics if you’d like.

Good luck with your choice.

I was married at the Iberostar in Punta Cana (January 04), but I’ve also stayed at the Iberostar Varadero (June 05).

Take a peek at photos from both resorts and let me know if you have any questions about either resort (or the IB’s in the Mayan…we’ve stayed there, too).

http://photos.yahoo.com/freakincoldhere

We were married at Playa Pesquero (Holguin/Guradalavaca area) and it was absolutely fantastic!!! If you ahve any questions, feel free to PM me!!

Tigs

I was also married at PP, Dec 05, it was truly an amazing experience. I think the best option is to sit down and decided what you and your fiance want and take it from there.

Wherever you decide to choose,I 'm sure you will have a brilliant day. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask.

Anths xx

Good luck :slight_smile:

Varadero in December …the swimming pool water is usually freezing so no-one uses the swim-up bars. The ocean and air temperature are warm, its just the swimming pool water. I think because it is cooler at night, the water doesn’t have a chance to heat up.

Cuba Wedding -If couple has never married before, Cuba requires a valid passport for 3 months beyond your return date home, a tourist card. If one of the couple has been married before, must provide a birth certificate & divorce certificate. If widowed- a birth certificate & a certificate of Marriage & Death certificate. Your birth certificate and any divorce/marriage/death documents must be translated into Spanish & certified by a Notary Public & legalized by the Cuban Consul in Canada. Plus, you must: create a sheet that lists your names, home address, occupations, level of education, nationality and full names of your parents. Attach a copy of photo page of your passport. Fax copies of all documentation (including the extras described above in both English & Spanish to your hotel in Cuba at least 3 weeks before arrival. Bring all original documents with you. Your marriage will be formalized in the name stated on your passport. Your passport must therefore be correct, and the name on your passport must match that on all your other documents. The Canadian Embassy in Havana & the Cuban Foreign Affairs will legalize your marriage prior to your Marriage Certificate being forwarded to you either while still in Cuba or to your home address

icate, 2 witnesses, 2 day waiting period. Declaration of marital status obtained in Dominica.

Dominican Republic Wedding - A fee US$100.00 ea legalization, US$40.00 ea translation. Check with your hotel if they require your birth certificates to be legalized or only translated is enough, also check that your wedding date & details are confirmed. You will need 2 witnesses with valid passports if traveling with you or you can ask local hotel staff to be witness. The following documents are required: note that legal transcripts of birth certificates, single status affidavits & divorce certificates need to be prepared in the country where the documents were issued. Original birth certificates. (send 2 copies) Valid passports. (send 2 copies of main page). Notarized Statutory Declarations of Single Status done according to the sample. (send 1 original & 1 copy). Divorce/Death certificate. (send original or notarized photocopy & 2 simple photocopies). The 3rd and 4th documents are translated & legalized by the Dominican Republic Consulate. The birth certificates have to be translated into Spanish. Courier all above-mentioned documents and their copies. DO NOT SEND original birth certificates or passports. Include a prepaid courier envelope to return documents to you, with your daytime phone number & mailing address. Legalization of documents takes 5 working days. Please note that your first, middle & last name must be the same on your passport & statutory declaration. If name is different, indicate that in point 1 of your declaration.

I got married at Breezes Jibacoa in Cuba last June. Couldn’t fault anything, the day went perfectly!! Jibacoa is an adults only resort though, and doesn’t allow any under 14’s.

If you want to know any more about Jibacoa, the wedding package etc, just let me know!!

Let us know what you decide to do!! :slight_smile: