Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Where to stay?

Ok, I’ve never been to Dominican Republic & have some general questions…

How do Punta Cana & La Romana compare?

How do the Iberostar/Riu/Sunscape chains compare for food & alcoholic beverages? What beers do they general carry?

Looking for a place to stay - major interests include good food & alcohol, large swimming pool with access to shade &/or palapa huts, and nice beach - prefer calm, clear water & nice white sand…again, shade &/or palapa huts a plus. Don’t necessarily care about the room so long as it is clean - does not have to be large.

Thanks!

That sure is a loaded question, but IMHO Punta Cana has the better beaches and resorts. Of course others will feel that La Romana is better. If you would like more info. about the La Romana area why don’t you PM either Baltobabe or Kaki as they are the true experts for that area.
As for the resorts in Punta Cana they are as different as night and day but many people will feel one is way better then the other. It’s just according to ones own taste in resorts.
Welcome to Debbies

Never been to Punta but been to La Ramona…La Ramona is not a very nice beach IMHO…Been to Puerto Plata and I thought it was nicer there.

Been to Puerto plata and La Romana. La Romana has the better beaches for sure. Stayed at Canoa Coral and the pool there is huge, the beach is beautiful and the drinks are pretty good. Puerto Plata has the better night life though. IMHO

I have only been tp Punta Cana and can’t get away from it!!! Maybe someday I’ll try something new :smiley:
Cin

I’ve been to PoP, Boca Chica, la Romana and Punta Cana. My preference is definitely la Romana (specifically at CDM). The water is very calm, warm and clear, excellent for swimming and snorkeling.

A close second is Boca Chica, again, for the nice calm, warm and clear water.

Punta Cana has longer beaches for walking but surf is stronger and resorts are more isolated and farther from cities/towns. Puerto Plata has a bit more to see and do, and although the beaches are OK, nothing to compare with the south coast, or even east coast.

Fluffy

Hola: Fluffy has your answer. The best (bluest, calmest) water is at Casa del Mar and Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus. Snorkeling right off the beach at CDM. We were there last year and loved it. Going to Sunscape the Beach this year just to try it out. Probably will be back to Bayahibe next year.

Mike & Cyndie - The Maineacs