Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Which of the POP RIUs?

Hi all,

I haven’t been around here for awhile, been a couple years since I’ve been to the DR.

Planning on going to Puerta Plata and looking at the RIUs for a change, I’ve only ever been to Breezes POP, PC, Varadero and TRYP Peninsula Varadero. Now if the cost difference isn’t all that much, which of the 3 would you RIU regulars recommend?

Thanks,
Colleen

Welcome back. Of the three RIUs Mambo, Merengue or the Bachata we prefer the Bachata. Not that there is anything wrong with the other two as you can use all three of their facilities except the restaurant(s) for dinner. To be perfectly honest with you I really don’t know why we prefer it but we do. However if given the chance I would stay at anyone of them. There will be of course other members who prefer one of the other RIU resorts within the complex :sunglasses:

Thanks stillgotit.

I suppose it would be more helpful if I explained a little about what we like.

We’re late 40’s looking for a relaxing, romantic getaway. We like to relax on the beach or by the pool. I prefer the quieter waves to swim around in rather then big waves that knock you over. Like to go on an excursion or two but don’t really get into the games and activities around the pool.

We like to socialize, relax, eat, drink and enjoy the heat.

Then I would think the Mambo is the place for you to stay. You of course should read all the reviews about each of the RIUs before making up your mind of course. It should be a big help :sunglasses:

Thanks, so what is it about the Mambo that you think we would appreciate more then the Bachata?

I found it when we were there to be the more quieter of the three resorts in the complex. However it has been a few years since our last visit and things could have changed :sunglasses:

Be sure & check out the reviews for the Merengue too. I posted a response to someone on another board months back about the Merengue, so I am cutting & pasteing it here for you to read:
“You will enjoy the Riu Merengue & the Riu complex as a whole. We have stayed there twice; Nov '04 for 1wk & Jan’06 for 2wks.
Riu has it’s strong points. Being able to use the facilities of all 3 resorts while staying at 1 is a real bonus. The Merengue has lots going for it, & IMHO we found the rooms to be exceptional. There is a mini-bar in the room which holds water, beer & pop and a liquor bar is available in the room also. The safe is in the closet at no extra cost. The food available in the buffet restaurant and in the pool side restaurant was excellent. There is a wide variety to choose from if you are a picky eater. You can eat breakfast, lunch & snacks at any of the restaurants in the complex, but the evening meal must be eaten at your resort.
The beach : Mambo having the better, Merengue being mediocre & the Bachata not so good. Although, there is a sports beach at the Bachata which is much calmer & used widely for swimming too.
There is a gazebo/lookout up on the cliff at the Bachata…make an effort to walk up there for a most breath-taking view. The Bachata pool tends to be more of a party place due to the swim up bar, but that’s not to say that people don’t have a good time at the Merengue or the Mambo.
We found as we were there, that our venue for the day changed depending on how we felt. If we wanted to be quiet, then we went to the Mambo; if we wanted more excitement, then we went to the Bachata; and if we were mellow, then we stayed at the Merengue.
When at the Merengue we loved the buildings in which the rooms were located in: Located in bungalow type bldgs, with 8 rooms per bldg (4 rooms on grd floor, 4 rooms above). Buildings seemed very sound proof & Patio/balcony looked out onto gardens or a walkway.”

Thanks folks, great info!

So if I understand correctly, the same things are available no matter at which of the resorts you stay, except for your evening meal must be eaten at your own resort.

Is there any great difference in the quality or state of the rooms at any of the resorts or is their any better a la cartes at one over the other?

I have read some of the reviews for each but it’s a lot of reading to get the answer to a couple specific questions. And I did do a search on the forum to see if my questions were already asked but after reading through for about half an hour I did read lots of good stuff but I wasn’t any wiser about which would be better for me, LOL. I appreciate your replys!

I remembered that back when I used to come here there was a RIU forum mentioned, googled and found it. Actually found a thread with the exact same questions I had so I think I have my answers.

Of course you get as many different answers as there are people LOL. I think if we do go there, I would go to the Mambo for the first time, mainly because it’s in the middle with easy access to the 2 others.

Thanks again stillgotit and mra for your input.

Now all I have to do is to get my guy to commit to a date when he can travel. The we’ll see what’s the best available at that time.

[quote author=colleen board=Poparea thread=1172661134 post=1172687346]I remembered that back when I used to come here there was a RIU forum mentioned, googled and found it. Actually found a thread with the exact same questions I had so I think I have my answers.

Of course you get as many different answers as there are people LOL. I think if we do go there, I would go to the Mambo for the first time, mainly because it’s in the middle with easy access to the 2 others.

Thanks again stillgotit and mra for your input.

Now all I have to do is to get my guy to commit to a date when he can travel. The we’ll see what’s the best available at that time.[/quote]

The Riu site would probably be Rusty’s “Unofficial” Riu Website www.riubambu.com

and er…um… Mambo isn’t in the middle, Merengue is. Mambo is on the Eastern side of the Riu Complex.

Gregg
Site Admin.
Rusty’s “Unofficial” Riu Website

Ah yes, right you are Gregg, :-[ I’ve been reading so much on the RIUs that everything is still jumbled in my mind.

So what’s your opinion? I remembered you were the RIU go-to-guy back a couple years ago and was wondering if I’d get your 2 cents worth. It was you that directed me to the RIU forum when I was looking for info on Ocean World a few years ago. I’m guessing since you’re still the site admin, you’re still the RIU go-to-guy.

We just came back from the Riu Merengue on Feb. 15th. I have only one complaint about it. The pool does not have steps going into the water, it has ladders. I know that for me it was a little difficult climbing down the ladders or back up because I am overweight. I would think it would have been even more difficult for an older person or someone with a disability. We did not go to the Bachata or the Mambo so I can’t comment on them. We found the ocean fairly calm and nice and warm.

I have stayed at the Riu Bachata twice and absolutely loved it!! I also spent a lot of time at the Merengue as we had friends staying there at the same time and enjoyed that resort as well. I don’t think you can go wrong no matter which one you choose - they are all great resorts.

Thanks Mitch and Andrea. Hoping I’ll find out today when exactly I can travel so I can start planning!!