Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

White sand beach, Dark sand beach

Are you beach lover? Does the color of the beach sand makes you decide what resort you will stay at? Myself I personally love white sand beaches as water is usually very turquoise blue but at the same time I went to dark sand beaches on my vacations because vacation trip offered some different historical and entertainment factors that I wanted to experience and not only the beach. What about you?

White sand if I can possibly get it. Easier on the feet, better visibility snorkelling. There has to be a good reason for me to compromise on sand colour!

White sand because it’s cooler on the feet and because we have all of the other beach colours available at home.
We visited a nice white beach in NS a few years ago. Very nice until toes touched 10ÂşC water.

I have been to black, grey/brown & white sand beaches. All are wonderful… But the black , man,… it is hot, hot, hot … - Dominica … it was too hot to walk on without shoes.

Do you know why is it cooler? I believe its because white sand beach is mane of corals and shells so it doesn’t heat so fast. That photo and beach looks very nice! Was it during summer?

I guess a white beach reflects away the light/heat of the sun.
That photo was taken in July at Carter’s Beach, 150Km south-west of Halifax, and just around the bay from Summerville Beach, that has very dark sand, almost like coal in spots.

White sand is cooler because it reflects nearly all of the sun’s rays. Black sand absorbs nearly all of the sun’s rays. It’s the same reason that when you park your car in the sun, if it is a light color, the fender won’t feel as hot to the touch as if it is a dark color.

One of the most interesting beaches I remember was Muriwai Beach in New Zealand. Black sand, and a very flat beach. As you looked out toward the ocean, it looked like the water was higher than the land. I’m not sure if the optical illusion was because of the flatness of the beach, or the black sand, or a combination of both.

I like a white sand beach better, though. But be careful. Because of the reflectiveness, you can get a sunburn more quickly on a white sand beach.

Black beach in St Kitts was interesting but I prefer white baby powder sand

Oh yes! No need to “sunbathe”. You will get a great tan on your legs just walking on the beach. That reflection really does the trick right down to your toes! Best to be aware of it.

It really depends Ixtapa has white sand and believe me it was burning hot, we could not walk from our loungers to the edge of the ocean it was so burning hot. I do prefer white sand and that beautiful turquoise ocean, having said that we are broadening our horizons so are pretty open these days.

Picture of Ixtapa
Guayabitos has a certain charm that can grab you; the sand is brown there.

Thanks @cubajack for explanation but I believe that it has a lot to do what material is beach made of. For example sand can be white, made of real sand particles (smashed rocks, stones) such as beaches in some Mediterranean countries or in Canada. I walked on some white sand beaches that are very hot and some that are not. I believe that beaches in Caribbean are made of smashed corrals and shells and for that reason is more cool when we step on it. I am not an expert or an engineer but every time I am on the beach I take fist full of the sand and I look at the structure. For example in Punta Cana Dominican Republic I can see lots of red particles which I believe is red corrals while in Cayo Largo Cuba I see lots of white coral particles. While black beaches are mostly made of dark rock and stones and for that reason get more hot. I am not saying that I am right but that is what I believe :slight_smile:

By the way I was looking online and found interesting video if anyone wants to see about White Light, Reflection & Absorption:

I agree, that could have a lot to do with it, too. I’m guessing here, but I think coral would be more porous, and so lighter. It seems like it wouldn’t hold the heat like a grain of quartz sand, which would be more dense.
I’ll have to do some research into the thermodynamic properties of different kinds of beach sands, Maybe a field trip to a beach would be needed to do a proper job of it.
:sunglasses:

Much of the white coral sand beaches was made by parrotfish grazing on coral and passing the ground up bits:

Sitting on a white beach, sipping a kopi luwak coffee, sure puts things in perspective.