Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

WiFi...new info...Riu Bachata

Exciting news peeps…WiFi is coming to the rooms !!

Technicians have been busy since we arrrived on Wed Nov 14, installing wiring & towers. Yesterday routers were installed on the towers…no connection yet (I tried last night :frowning: ) but it should be up soon

When I talked with GM Friedrich (Freddy) on Thursday, he wasn’t sure if WiFi connection in the rooms would be free access or if there would be a charge. Right now, WiFi in the Lobby is still free.

Will keep you posted…

From the Riu website & it’s press release…

Palma de Mallorca, 25. Oktober 2012
RIU introduces Internet access in the rooms and public areas of the hotels of America
In its continuing effort to improve customer service and modernize its offer, RIU Hotels & Resorts has announced the introduction of wireless internet access at their hotels in the Americas. Customers of the RIU resorts that have in Mexico , Punta Cana (Dominican Republic), Jamaica , Bahamas , Aruba , Florida (USA) and Costa Rica can now enjoy quality internet connection in all public areas and rooms. Moreover, in the range hotels Riu Palace, this service will be free from November 1.

The hotels in the Riu Classic range remain free internet access in the lobby and now also offer customers the option of hiring paid connection in rooms and other areas. Customers range most luxurious resort, Riu Palace, will benefit from this extra service for free from November 1.

So all RIU clients can connect to the network through their own devices in all public areas and rooms. And for those customers who do not travel with their own equipment, will remain the ‘Business Corners’ in Sports Bars and Lounge 24. They guests can use computers and connection fee, as has been done so far.

About RIU Hotels & Resorts: The international RIU chain was founded in Mallorca, Spain, in 1953 as a small holiday Riu family firm and is still owned by the third generation. The company specializes in holiday resorts. 60% of its establishments offer the acclaimed all-inclusive by RIU. With the opening of its first city hotel in 2010, RIU expands its product range with its own line of urban hotels called Riu Plaza. RIU Hotels & Resorts has over 100 hotels in 16 countries each year receiving more than 3.2 million customers and working in a total of 25,000 employees. RIU is currently the world’s largest chain 30, one of the Caribbean’s and the fourth in Spain.

Technicians are still working on some of the towers & routers. I don’t think I’ll be getting WiFi in my room before I leave on Wednesday morning…:frowning:

Ok folks. So I am here at the Riu Bachata and can definitively say that you can stay well connected on the web thru their new BACHATA RESORT WIDE WIFI. You can still get free wifi in the lobby for 90 mins per day but it tends to be very slow.
Paid wifi on their Bachata Premium WIFI reaches every inch of the Bachata resort with very quick downloads and uploads and very good signal strength.
Now the cost. You pay at a ticket dispensing machine to the left of the front desk. $10 per day or a 2 day or 4 day option ( I forgot the prices). I opted for the 7 day option for $40. UNLIMITED. BUT
YOU CANNOT TRANSFER IT TO OTHER DEVICES.
The system remembers your IP address of each device so you cannot SHARE your username and password between devices.
Little price to pay for the week of Facebook posting and emailing to friends of your trip.
You go to settings to access the wifi and you are taken to a login screen where you enter a username an password that is given to you on a ticket dispensed by the machine.
Only problem I see is on occasion the signal will be dropped and you have to log back in with your username and password. So save the ticket that is printed out by the machine for you. Or copy and paste it from your device into the login screen when this happens.
Overall VERY HAPPY with this setup.
Awesome !!!