Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

WiFi?

A big hello to all the old timers.
Potentially dumb question… Any wifi at Sol Cayo Largo?, or in Cuba at all?

[quote=@barracuba2000]A big hello to all the old timers.
Potentially dumb question… Any wifi at Sol Cayo Largo?, or in Cuba at all? [/quote]

Been to all-inclusive resorts in Varadero, Holguin, Santiago de Cuba, Manzanillo and Cayo Coco; I have never seen wifi at any of the hotels.

You’re extremely lucky if you get internet that is working at dial-up speed. The recent underwater internet cable attempt that was supposed to be their ‘salvation’, ended up not working at all - at least so the news I saw on it last time. Same with news a few days ago about the super-duper deep well oil drilling rig that has now departed Cuba after numerous wells that were not viable. You just have to wonder why so many mistakes? Inept gov’t or CIA?
Sorry, got OT a bit.

Who you callin’ old? :stuck_out_tongue:

Been to a couple myself and gotta say, in Cuban AIs, you’re lucky if you get a few minutes of internet before being cut off…

Just sayin’…

Personally, I stay as far away from them thar thangs as I can when on vacay…and concentrate on the beach :sunglasses:

No WiFi or HighSpeed on Cayo Largo. Dial-up is shared by everyone on the island in the computer rooms. Basic text based or basic HTML GMail work okay but forget Facebook and graphic-heavy sites. A package of Text Messages on a compatible Cell Phone through your provider/carrier might be better.
Internet is 10CUC for 30? min and Late at night when there hasn’t been a new batch of arrivals works best for us for GMail.
Have Fun!!

10 CUC for 30 min … that’s crazy. I may stay in Havana. Jeje

How’s the Internet connection in the mountains of Mexico, Radar?

WiFi ???

Cayo Largo is likely NOT for you.

WiFi ??? holy Crap !

God I hope not ever !!

Very good thank. We had some down days because the landlord did not pay the bill.

Verycoldcanadian … So what’s wrong with having WIFI on Cayo Largo. It’s not like you are forced to use it?

If I may be so bold, I believe the Doctor would rather not deal with those who have a need to be in touch 24/7 … Whilst in Paradise.
27 Km of deserted white sand beach precludes internet addiction. Much more comes to mind. IMHO

You don’t have to answer the phone either. :wink:
And what breaks the peace of paradise more … someone at their laptop of a loud drunk pissing in place at the swim up bar.
Mind you if he had his laptop I would agree with you. ;D

radar , I agree with you totally.
swim up bars are to be avoided at all costs.

Please come to CL and you will see my point about needing to be
awayfrom the beach and go into cyberspace.

Drinks are on me., then I need a clean shirt.
LOL

[quote=@verycoldcanadian]WiFi ???

Cayo Largo is likely NOT for you.

WiFi ??? holy Crap !

God I hope not ever !![/quote]

Why don’t you tell us how you really feel?
LOL!!!

@ OP ~ Long time no see, Welcome Back!

Sorry Barracuba,

I just really hate the World-Wide Weirdness that much

People do not relate to other people anymore.
Please come to Cayo Largo and see the world as it should be.

Yes , I will buy the first round.

By the way,
The rules are that first timers must do naked cannonballs in the pool at midnight.

Thanks Gardengal. Been doing cruises and hanging around Costa Rica when time and money are not an issue.
Last time on Cayo Largo was about 8-9 years ago, when Barcelo was being built. We’re going over Xmas, and Mrs. Barracuba wants to text her daughters on Xmas day.
In the mean time, I’ve found out that my carrier hooks up with the carrier in Cuba, and a text is in the .35 - .75 range, depending on what plan you use. How good the service is? We’ll see.
I hope the deep sea fishing is as good as last time, 4 barracuda, 11 blackfin tuna, and 1 meter and a half shark. Really cheesed off an entire English fishing club.
VCC, no offence taken. Where do you think the neked cannonball thing came from? ;D

[quote=@zendudette]SNIP>>>>
Personally, I stay as far away from them thar thangs as I can when on vacay…and concentrate on the beach 8-)[/quote]

Yeah, what she said.

Barracuda, we use Bell as our provider and text messages as well as phone calls are no problem on Cayo Largo.
We purchase a “plan” for Cuba and it’s all good.
Would prefer not to have to bother, but with aging parents, kids, grandkids and a small business, its a great way to keep in touch, if need be.

stargazer, what’s the Bell plan called? Or is it straight off the menu? Data plan? Thanks.

Hey Spunky. Not sure if the Bell plan has a name per se. I call them and tell them where I will be travelling and they provide me with a month’s text messages in coming and outgoing as well as phone minutes if I feel I will need them. I usually just opt for the text messages. No data involved. I have no need to check the web, just want to stay connected to my family back home.

Smart move stargazer. :sunglasses:
Staying in touch is one thing, web-surfing on Cuban dial-up is a different matter. :wink:
Did you think about Scooters, Barracuba? They are pretty safe on Cayo Largo as long as you stay off the sand road to Paraiso/Sirena.
Post a review of SolClub, love to hear what you saw. :slight_smile: