Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Wish list of donations to take to the D.R

Too bad about that email and glad Wud got things straight.

I called our carrier and told her about the BeyondtheBeach foundation and asked if I could bring an extra 20K and also to please send a letter to confirm this.

I did get the letter and it says

"We have made arrangements for your entire baseball team to be granted additional baggage allowance in the order of 20 kilos in excess baggage, on top of your standard 20 Kg baggage allowance per passenger.”

Know any baseball teams going to Punta Cana in March?? ;D

It’s an obvious error and I won’t push my luck. I’ll just bring what was agreed on the phone.

Thanks for list Chris.

Hi

going to punta cana on april4th would love to bring some goods for the folks down there, who can i contact once down there to give the stuff to?

Mike Wagner (fisher) is our drop off contact there. You can email or call him at this link.

http://debsdrtravels.proboards47.com/index.cgi?board=Fiesta&action=display&thread=1204980664

Don’t worry Hlywud. Usually people like that seek out any excuse not to donate to anything
that does not benefit themselves. Keep up the great work guys!

[quote author=greaseballbill board=Fiesta thread=1197659295 post=1207259443]Don’t worry Hlywud. Usually people like that seek out any excuse not to donate to anything
that does not benefit themselves. Keep up the great work guys![/quote]

onething I never do is worry, the other is work

Hlywud, After I asked if there was anything the kids really needed and you responded, clothing, the wife put out a notice at work looking for donations. We don’t know what to expect but I think the folks at the court house will donate with enthusiasm! Which brings me to my next point. I don’t know how to PM, checked our host, not much help, read a few posts here and to my amazement, Air Transat may not take those donated items free of charge! Any help you or other BTBCF folks can provide would be helpful. I am the one who posts here and my wife has embrased this idea so I am hoping that shipping the goods will not be at our expense. All or any help with getting the the donations to where they are needed would be greatfully accepted. Wes.

email info@beyondthebeach.ca and ask to have a letter for your tour operator indicating you are taking charitable donations with you. We also need your correct name, flight number, depature date and time.

Sparky
Just click on the members name you wish to send a PM to. In this case it will be hlywud. Then click on “Send Personal Message” which will bring up a message composition window. Type in your message and send it, just like making a post.

You may want to set up your PM preferences to display a pop-up window alerting you when you have a PM waiting to be read. This is much more obvious than the new message count …

Hlywud, Bob, thanks for the help.

Since I am going to DR for 5 months this coming winter, is there anything I can do to help? I know that from what I witnessed last year with regards to poverty, I would like to bring things for the street children. Or, since I’m in Juan Dolio, am I close to anyone in your organization that I can bring things to? I will help in any way I can and I will have lots of time on my hands.

Pakelekia,

Thank you for thinking of the people in the Dominican Republic.

Before I was a director for BeyondtheBeach and even now, when I have things to bring I give them to the staff or I can always find somewhere to give. If you have lots’ of time on your hands you can just walk down the streets in Juan Dolio and I’m sure you will find somewhere to help.

Not sure that we have someone managing that area for drop off.

But thank you for thinking of the street children they will appreciate anything plus your personal gains will be huge.

Maybe Kaki can help you on this area of the island.

Contact Rafael Silva r.silva@dominicanairporttransfers.com

Collection of Donations—which you bring with you…

Please mark your box(es) or bag(s) with “Rafael Silva” so that there is no confusion at pick up. You can leave the package at the front desk of your hotel or with the concierge or bellmen and the collection will happen as easily as that. All we need from you is the hotel that you will be visiting and the dates that you will be traveling. We will arrange to have a driver come to the hotel for your donated items.

Thank you for the information. I will be flying American Airlines, so I will see what there policy is on extra bag with donations for BTBCF. Hopefully they are part of the system that sees the importance of bringing children’s essentials. If anyone knows about AA policy, please let me know. I did go to San Pedro for one day that winter and it was amazing so to speak. I was followed around by about 6 little children that you could tell were ill and perhaps homeless. They kept wanting to wash my sandals, so I let them over and over again for a few pesos. Then I decided that I was not sure where the money went. So I took the 6 children (I did not speak a word of spanish) and found a little chip stand. I fed them all and gave them Coke’s for drinks. It hardly cost me anything and then I knew they were fed and no one can take that away from them. I am sure I will find the same in JD if I look hard enough. I will do the same again if I can. It was so amazing. Also, I did not take their pictures because I did not want the adults who were watching me to think it was just a photo-op. I have never felt to content in my life and those children gave more to me than I did for them. There really are no language barriers when it comes to children.

Hi. When you go to the Dominican, about 6 weeks before you go, buy a T shirt supporting the dream team project!!! My first one is now almost 5 yrs old and still in great shape considering I wear it all the time.
Also, if you think about it, we always take too much clothing so when packing, really think how many differant ways to wear the same item. Just pack Tide or whatever and wash it out in the bathroom for next day. That way, you will have more room to take things. If your in the medical field, hit your drug reps. They are always good for giving me medications and creams etc. I put those in my suitcase so I KNOW that the Mustard Seed Immanuel House got them, not an airport employee!!! As the dream project Tshirt says, “IT FEELS GREAT TO DONATE!!!”

I have a question when I get to POP in Feb who do I give my goodies to so I know that they get to the right people??? and can I fedex them down to the DR to someone there and what would be the address if I can do so??? The price of an extra bag I can probably fedex it cheaper and put more in the box.
Thank you

caribbean lover, where are you staying? Then I can contact the proper person who will help you.

If it is going to be fedex I will PM you the address to send to.

Thanks for thinking of the kids. :smiley:

[quote=@sheilaorr]I have a question when I get to POP in Feb who do I give my goodies to so I know that they get to the right people??? and can I fedex them down to the DR to someone there and what would be the address if I can do so??? The price of an extra bag I can probably fedex it cheaper and put more in the box.
Thank you
[/quote]

We were going to ship a package a few years ago to Juan Dolio, near Santo Domingo and DHL was the cheapest…but cheap is not a term I would use to describe costs…

Here is a cut and paste from their website for a parcel 65lbs in weight… or 30KGs

From Postal/Zip Code: XXXXXX

To Country: DO
City: PUERTO PLATA
To Province/State:
To Postal/Zip Code:

Destination: International
Service: DHL EXPRESS WORLDWIDE

Weight: 65.0 Lbs
Volumetric Weight: 34.72 Lbs
CostBase Charge: CAD 54.45
Freight Charge: CAD 555.69
Surcharge: CAD 189.14
Additional Service Charge(s): CAD 0.00
Valuation Charge: CAD 0.00

GST/HST: CAD 0.00
PST/QST: CAD 0.00
Total: CAD 799.28

Delivery Day(s): 3

carribean lover, please look at the new thread above re Donations for POP/Sosua.

Thanks.

I am always overweight when I go to the DR ,mostly bringing stuff to give away, but this time I will bring more money and tip staff that is not so visible, dishwasher, cooks, laundry people etc. and when I go on excursions the locals. I know that they will always appreciate cash. and do not have to pay excess weight to the airlines.

i have 10 boxes of crayons, ten color books a baseball a soccer ball, and a very nice science project book with many ideas. i also have a used care bear book, but i think some child could get some use out of it. what is the best way to distributen this?