Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Would you live in Dominican Republic / retire if you could?

My question is if you could live in Dominican Republic would you do so? Would you retire in Dominican Republic and live 6 months during cold winter like we had this year?

Yes especially after this winter.

Steve

[quote=@steeve]Yes especially after this winter.

Steve[/quote]

It was so cold and so long. Where in Dominican Republic would you retire?

Yes I would
Yes I could
Yed I did!!!
Left the mountains of Colorado with tons of snow. In fact at our old house yesterday temp was 22F and 10 inches of fresh snow!

But why just for 6 monts??? I have been here full time for 8 years and in fact only back in the US for 37 nights in those 8 years.

bobk

[quote=@bobk]Yes I would
Yes I could
Yed I did!!!
Left the mountains of Colorado with tons of snow. In fact at our old house yesterday temp was 22F and 10 inches of fresh snow!

But why just for 6 monts??? I have been here full time for 8 years and in fact only back in the US for 37 nights in those 8 years.

bobk[/quote]

wow that is very impressive. You are real lover of the Dominican Republic and that is great :slight_smile: What made you move and retire in DR? Was it much affordable life after retirement or great weather and beautiful beaches?

There were multiple reasons:

1. We could retire here and live for 40% less than out costs in the US. So the choice was retire early or work for another 10 years…Not a hard choice

2. Beautiful weather. I have not shoveled snow for 8 years. Just yesterday at our old house in Colorado the morning temp was 21 F and 10 more inches of new snow. Tonight they are getting even more snow. Don’t miss it.

3. The people and culture here.

4. Less rules and regulations…easier life style

5. It is a huge island so you don’t get island fever. Lots of beaches, big cities when you want them, mountains, jungles, it has it all.

6 Wonderful coffee… on my third cup now this morning.

bobk

Samana peninsula or Sosua. People are fantastic. Medical facilities would be a huge factor in our decision.

Weather is fantastic also.

Steve

[quote=@bobk]There were multiple reasons:

1. We could retire here and live for 40% less than out costs in the US. So the choice was retire early or work for another 10 years…Not a hard choice

2. Beautiful weather. I have not shoveled snow for 8 years. Just yesterday at our old house in Colorado the morning temp was 21 F and 10 more inches of new snow. Tonight they are getting even more snow. Don’t miss it.

3. The people and culture here.

4. Less rules and regulations…easier life style

5. It is a huge island so you don’t get island fever. Lots of beaches, big cities when you want them, mountains, jungles, it has it all.

6 Wonderful coffee… on my third cup now this morning.

bobk[/quote]

Great decision you made!I like your lifestyle and support your decision as sometimes during winter time I see people in my area who actually can not clean snow anymore because they do not have strengths and most of them have nice big houses but some of them never went for example to Dominican Republic to see how other retired people enjoy their time on the beach and sunny weather. This winter was terrible in US and Canada and your stay in DR was worth if nothing else but because you escaped this winter.

[quote=@steeve]Samana peninsula or Sosua. People are fantastic. Medical facilities would be a huge factor in our decision.

Weather is fantastic also.

Steve[/quote]

How are medical facilities in Samana or Sosua area? Do they have hospitals for everyone or they have for foreigns as well? Any idea about medical insurance in Dominican Republic is it expensive and how it works for people who moved and now live in Dominican Republic?

Medical facilities here vary in quality. In the larger cities (Santiago, Santo Domingo)there is very good care available. Less so in the smaller towns. There are public hospitals (very bad) and the private sector. Most private hospitals will work with your foreign insurance some don’t. You can get local insurance very cheaply here. We pay about $40 a month for my wife and I for full medical and dental insurance. We also maintain a much more western (and accepted anywhere in the world) international insurance which is more expensive but still less than any US policy we could get.

Hope this answers your question.

bobk

I would love to be able to spend about 4 to 6 months in the DR when I retire. Dreaming right now, retirement is not for another 8 to 10 years.
And yes, this winter has been VERY LONG!

[quote=@helmers]I would love to be able to spend about 4 to 6 months in the DR when I retire. Dreaming right now, retirement is not for another 8 to 10 years.
And yes, this winter has been VERY LONG! [/quote]

I hope your dreams come true and that you will be able to retire a few months per year in the next 8 to 10 years :slight_smile: Better play with shovels and sand then shovels and snow :slight_smile:

I would in a heartbeat…have resume’s out and friends helping. :slight_smile:

[quote=@admin]My question is if you could live in Dominican Republic would you do so? Would you retire in Dominican Republic and live 6 months during cold winter like we had this year?[/quote]We are in the DR now.  Yes, I would live here for 6 months but only if I could bring my dog.  The resorts don’t want dogs - go figure but I’m sure we could find some place to rent.

[quote=@marlene1970][quote=@admin]My question is if you could live in Dominican Republic would you do so? Would you retire in Dominican Republic and live 6 months during cold winter like we had this year?[/quote]We are in the DR now.  Yes, I would live here for 6 months but only if I could bring my dog.  The resorts don’t want dogs - go figure but I’m sure we could find some place to rent.
[/quote]

Marlene you must explore the condo route for your next visit.

There are lots of “snowbirds” here for 6 months during the winter. Most rent condos or own condos or small villas. It is easy to bring your dogs here with nothing to do but get some paperwork done at home and $10 fee when you land here.
We actually have a condo we rent at a beach side complex in Cabarete and it is already fully rented for next winter.

bobk

[quote=@marlene1970][quote=@admin]My question is if you could live in Dominican Republic would you do so? Would you retire in Dominican Republic and live 6 months during cold winter like we had this year?[/quote]We are in the DR now.  Yes, I would live here for 6 months but only if I could bring my dog.  The resorts don’t want dogs - go figure but I’m sure we could find some place to rent.
[/quote]

Hello @marlene1970 welcome to Debbie’s Dominican Republic forum. It is nice to see people now in DR responding to the posts. As members mentioned above me I believe that the best solution for you would be to explore condo route. Gated community or something similar where you would be able to bring your dog with you. I do understand resort rules about dogs as well as your needs to have dog with you. So my suggestion would be to check out other options while you are there in DR. Maybe some of our members in the area can help you just ask questions. Renting condo would me much cheaper option as well than staying 6 months in the resort.

No way I could give up my creature comforts. I could not live without various electronics like big tv, laptop, fast dependable internet, etc. I cannot live being constantly concerned about security. I embrace the differences (both good and bad) but I like going home as well. I have been visiting since 1986 and I have life long friendships that I long for from time to time so I promise I have thought about it a lot.

ggparts

gg most of your have nots are included in the DR. Big TV’s yep …laptop yep… fast internet…yep depending on supplier.

We have big TVs, fast internet, all sorts of electronics, DISH tv, laptops, tablets, smart phones, new cars, and don’t worry about security in out home.

bobk