Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Would you retire in Cuba if you could?

Question is if you could get retirement visa would you retire and live in Cuba? Would you live for 6 months in Cuba and 6 Months in Canada if you can while winter is long and cold as this year?

If and when they relax the rules a wee bit so that I could actually stay at the casa I bought two years ago I would consider a few extended stays throughout the winter months.
I also would like either some wifi or cheaper data from home , all the rest I could deal with.
I believe it’s coming and probably a bit sooner than most think !!
Lenny

Agree with Lenny.
Until the rules change, it’s more important to have Cuban family and many friends on hand, to manage and maintain a retirement retreat.

In the mean time, a combo of Casa’s and small resorts can provide a budget alternative to 2 months of our winter.

[quote=@bicycleman]
I also would like either some wifi or cheaper data from home , all the rest I could deal with.
I believe it’s coming and probably a bit sooner than most think !!
Lenny[/quote]

Just to let you know if you that foreigners living in Cuba can have regular internet in the house. To me it looks like you said “change is coming sooner than most of us think”.

Not so much the internet as the housing requirements.
Lenny

[quote=@bicycleman]If and when they relax the rules a wee bit so that I could actually stay at the casa I bought two years ago I would consider a few extended stays throughout the winter months.
Lenny[/quote]

Do you mind sharing in what part of Cuba is your casa?

No, I don’t think so. I don’t know Cuba well enough to even consider it.

I would consider Cozumel, but I would not buy a property, and I’m not sure I could handle a whole 6 months. My husband’s dream is to sell our house, buy a trailer in a park for the summer (seasonal site, not like a Trailer Park Boys kind of scenario LOL) and rent a condo somewhere for the winter. I have friends who do that, and are scheduled to come home soon…but we still have SO much snow, I don’t know when they’ll be able to get into their trailer!!

About 2 km from the round about outside of Moron on way to Ciego de Avila. So real close to Moron 4 km to center and a short drive to Ciego.
Takes me about an hour to Cayo Coco BUT I don’t drive like the jeep excursion folks !! lol
Lenny

[quote=@bicycleman]About 2 km from the round about outside of Moron on way to Ciego de Avila. So real close to Moron 4 km to center and a short drive to Ciego.
Takes me about an hour to Cayo Coco BUT I don’t drive like the jeep excursion folks !! lol
Lenny[/quote]

that is very nice area and close to beautiful beaches. Good choice plus airport is not too far!

[quote=@desmei]No, I don’t think so. I don’t know Cuba well enough to even consider it.

I would consider Cozumel, but I would not buy a property, and I’m not sure I could handle a whole 6 months. My husband’s dream is to sell our house, buy a trailer in a park for the summer (seasonal site, not like a Trailer Park Boys kind of scenario LOL) and rent a condo somewhere for the winter. I have friends who do that, and are scheduled to come home soon…but we still have SO much snow, I don’t know when they’ll be able to get into their trailer!![/quote]

I like your husband idea. It is true that you have to like where you will spend 6 months and exploring different places might give you different idea. I am sure for your friends to get to trailer will be fun comparing to us to clean snow every day. They will love to see snow and have fun for a week or 2.

Even though I’ve spent a considerable amount of time in Cuba I could never live there for an extended period and I could never consider it as a retirement option.

A few (of many) issues for me: Can’t own property… can’t buy a vehicle… telecommunication infrastructure is horrible… crap Internet… if you’re into variety it’s difficult and expensive to buy/cook your own food… banking is a complete joke… news sources all government controlled… satellite dishes illegal… health care is generally very poor outside of tourist centres… the beer selection is horribly boring… Honestly, the list is endless.

The people, the general safety, culture, music, etc. and all the other MANY positive aspects that I adore simply can’t overcome the glaring negatives for a long term stay.

That said, it’s entirely possible (I’ve done it several times) to find an area you like, rent a long-term casa and “kind of” live like a (rich) local for a period of time… but it will be much more expensive for a lot lower standard of living than in countless places throughout Mexico, Central/South America and SE Asia.

Cheers,
Terry

I certainly couldn’t retire in the city or a town. I’d have to be in the countryside with a garden. There would have to be a place to get food (and beer) within bicycling distance. Then you would worry about security for your belongings. A rich yuma living in the boonies would be a tempting target for some breaking and entering.

You have to be practical, you can’t just sit and watch the sea all day. A person would need a lot of interests that could be pursued there so you wouldn’t go insane. December to March (4 months) would be enough for me.

As much as I love vacationing in Cuba I wouldn’t want to live there, even if I could speak Spanish. I think 3-4 weeks would be the longest time I could handle.

The forest Workers pension in B.C. and assets of $ 3 billion to be solvent the plan should have assets of $ 5 billion. The management of the has been moved out of B. C. To northern Trust of Chicago Ill. USA.

Good read here :::

[quote=@sssnakesalive]December to March (4 months) would be enough for me.
[/quote]

Many snowbirds retire like that during winter time in Florida, Panama, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Mexico, Thailand and that is retirement as well.

[quote=@cubakingone]Good read here :::

[/quote]

That article is saying: "to maintain current levels of spending in the future, taxes will have to increase or benefits for other programs will have to be cut – or both."
So that means that maybe some of us will find that $1000 per month will worth way much more somewhere else such as Cuba or Panama or Mexico etc comparing to Canada. Will some of us be forced to retire somewhere else to live good life? Cuba will not be same now and in 5 years. Things will change we might have in Cuba different kinds of beers and many TV channels and different Internet providers. Cuba is very close to Eastern part of Canada and many snow birds choose Florida for the same reason.

Retiring in Cuba (at least for the winter months) would be an option if there was more to be had other than nice weather and beaches. Decent internet and TV service, more golf courses, retirement type communities with condos, shopping, restaurants, bars, theaters etc. I suppose it’s coming but not likely soon enough for me to take advantage of. Until then I’ll have to settle for a week or two at a resort.

Lots of great water front property in Eastern Cuba for condos for Canadians - Si !!!

[quote=@cubakingone]Lots of great water front property in Eastern Cuba for condos for Canadians - Si !!!
[/quote]

And lots of Canadians love Holguin and Santiago de Cuba areas.