Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

"wtf" la romana to Punta cana

Can anybody explain,
Why there are so many punta cana resorts with the flights flying into la Romana? Seems to me that there are only around 5 AI resorts in La Romana . Punta Cana has at least 50 AI resorts. Also taxes were $340 on Sat. on some DR trips , and then the next day up $390. “WTFs” going on , I’m getting ready to book our vacation for winter, but when, I’M hoping to catch a good price.

I know a lot of the Canadian companies had a sale on that ended this weekend. Most dropped some of the taxes. I.e. sunwing, signature both had $50 off the taxes.

Actually I think PC area has about 100 resorts.

Actually 98 resorts according to Trip Advisor

Signature Vacations has extended it’s “Tax Buster” promo to Sept. 21…save $200/cpl for vacation departures Nov 1/2012 to Jan 31/2013
http://www.signaturevacations.com/promo/affordable-luxury.asp

Sunwing still has a EBB on: http://www.sunwing.ca/promo/Book-with-Confidence/

Why there are so many punta cana resorts with the flights flying into la Romana?

It is the law of supply and demand. There is a great amount of traffic in and out of PUJ and it reduces the availability of seating on aircraft, increases fares, and is an opportunity for the airport to have a high landing and gate time fees. LRM on the other hand is underutilized and as such will structure its fees to increase air traffic and that in turn is an incentive for the air carriers to transit there in an effort to reduce their costs and offer more available seating. It is an opportunity for the airlines. The resorts know this and they take the advantage to contract (cheaper?) blocks of seats that the airlines will hold available nearer flight dates. The newly opened Coral highway at LRM’s doorstep brings Punta Cana and Bavaro within a 25 minute transit from it. So !!! Why not fly into LRM ?

[quote=@pjt]Why there are so many punta cana resorts with the flights flying into la Romana?

It is the law of supply and demand. There is a great amount of traffic in and out of PUJ and it reduces the availability of seating on aircraft, increases fares, and is an opportunity for the airport to have a high landing and gate time fees. LRM on the other hand is underutilized and as such will structure its fees to increase air traffic and that in turn is an incentive for the air carriers to transit there in an effort to reduce their costs and offer more available seating. It is an opportunity for the airlines. The resorts know this and they take the advantage to contract (cheaper?) blocks of seats that the airlines will hold available nearer flight dates. The newly opened Coral highway at LRM’s doorstep brings Punta Cana and Bavaro within a 25 minute transit from it. So !!! Why not fly into LRM ?[/quote]

Makes sense, Paul…

Thanks PJT that makes sense, kinda what I thought but with the new highway , is it really only 25 min. away??

Great explanation PJT, now let’s see if the package ARE any cheaper when flying in to La Romana?

But beware that the airlines charge the same as PUJ and they make the money on savings…not the traveller.

The above may be true.

Yet, the advantage for the resorts may be the airlines will hold open the blocks of seats available longer for the resort bookings at LRM. IE: lets say a resort has openings for Nov 1, it has contracted a block of 20 seats on airline XX and the airline will hold open to them until Oct 1st, (30 days before) for PUJ flights for a contracted fare of xyz. The same airline XX has a similar deal with the resort it will hold open 20 seats until Oct 15, (15 days before) for the same fare of xyz at LRM. This is a benefit for the resort as it can market so called last minute deals to bring in the tourists and fill the aircraft. The airline charges the same and is able to fill its seats.

Regards,

PJT