Home | Dominican Republic | Write a Review | Blog | Advertise

Yes, another dress code question (sorry)

I know that men are usually required to wear long pants in the ala carte restaurants. But what I can’t find anywhere is the answer to this question: Are jeans okay? I’m planning to wear jeans on the plane and would prefer not to have to take up valuable packing space with a couple other pairs of long pants if jeans are acceptable. Thoughts?

I’d say yes, providing they’re decent looking. Have yet to see a tux or evening gown at any a-la-carte in the the DR. I know they frown on shorts, but I highly doubt they’d kick you out.

Bathing suits are also not acceptable in main eating areas (buffet). But I’ve seen that too. So it you feel comfortable I guess whatever goes…

Believe me some will kick you out, I’ve been kicked out on several occasions in the Ala Carte’s and have been told I must leave and put on pants if I wanted to be served…but I will keep on trying.

I did have on nice shorts and collared shirt but it just did not matter neither did my pleading the fact that I did not bring pants.

Jeans are OK but why would you want to wear them as they would be way to hot to wear. A nice pair of pants are way better to wear and more comfortable

I tend to disagree. Yes, jeans are heavy, but they’re also 100% cotton and being a natural fabric, they breath. Now, polyester is uncomfortable …

Well, while jeans “may” be a bit warmer, I think they are a better option. When we leave Chicago, they’re good for getting from the car to the terminal. They’re comfortable on the plane, which tends to be a bit cool at times. I know, the same can be said for Dockers-type pants. However, I’m sure you realize how quickly and how badly Dockers-type pants wrinkle. If you wear them for an all-day plane ride, they will look horrible if you try to wear them another day for dinner. Also, I am trying to avoid packing extra long pants since they take up so much room in the suitcase (and space is precious). So I’m pretty much set on jeans…I just don’t want to be kicked out of the restaurant.

I always make sure the jeans are ‘nearly’ new, so they’re quite presentable. Never had an issue at dinner.

One time we were dining at the Italian Restaurant at the Fun Royale and a gentleman with golf shirt and walking shorts was turned away.
The next guy had on wind pants (very dirty I might add) t-shirt and flip flops and he was welcomed.I guess the main thing is the legs have to be covered.

[quote=@gregandheather]One time we were dining at the Italian Restaurant at the Fun Royale and a gentleman with golf shirt and walking shorts was turned away.
The next guy had on wind pants (very dirty I might add) t-shirt and flip flops and he was welcomed.I guess the main thing is the legs have to be covered.[/quote]

That’s too bad that legs have to be covered. I’ve been told I have nice legs…well, for a guy. :wink:

With the humidity in the dominican the wrinkles will just fall out. Also some resorts supple irons… :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

gbpkrfan, I am so glad you asked this! I was just discussing this with a couple of people in my traveling group (okay, I like to think of them as my entourage, but don’t tell them that!) and no one knew the answer. The resort we’re going to also doesn’t allow men to wear any open-toed shoes in the ala cartes, (not even nice leather sandals), and we were trying to figure out whether they’d get away with jeans or not. I wonder if they’d waive the no man-toes rule if the guys booked Man-Pedicures at their spa… just kidding… Anyway, thanks for asking!